AMT Rivet Joint - words of wisdom?

Hi guys,

Just picked up the AMT RC-135 to add to my 1/72 scale electronic warfare collection (EA-6B and EP-3E so far).

I've read on the boards about the absence of aftermarket CFM engines other than purchasing entire extra kits; are there any other update sets out there that are available to make a passable late 90's and up RC-135 (i.e. updated cheek fairings, antennas, etc.)?

Any overall build advice?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Just picked up the AMT RC-135 to add to my 1/72 scale electronic warfare collection (EA-6B and EP-3E so far).

I've read on the boards about the absence of aftermarket CFM engines other than purchasing entire extra kits; are there any other update sets out there that are available to make a passable late 90's and up RC-135 (i.e. updated cheek fairings, antennas, etc.)?

Thanks!

Well, there was an Airwaves photoetch detail set out there from years ago of 135s and it had some RC-135 antennas on it. The antenna configurations on the Rivet Joints tend to change quite a bit though, so you'll need to choose an era of plane you want to build and stick with it as far as the antenna mount. There are no cheek fairing updates out there, but the kit ones can be adapted with 2 part epoxy putty work on the front of them.

There are no cheek fairing updates out there, but the kit ones can be adapted with 2 part epoxy putty work on the front of them.

It'll take more work than just adding to the front of them... as they're thinner in vertical cross section and shaped a little differently across the top.

Maintrack did them in the RC-135U conversion, but the man who owns the moulds now (Whirleybird) in the UK has failed to see the wisdom of re-releasing the conversion or just the cheeks alone! ;)

I was going to be taking measurements of parts of a cfm-56-2b engine in about a week or two during the fly-in at the Selfridge AFB airshow. If I were to take measure ments for a detailed mode without having to do the interior measuremente of the engine (excluding the fan that you see from the frount), which is what you see with out removing the cas the covers the whole engine when it is flying, and the nacelle, would someone like DR pepper Resins like the measurements to make an aftermarket part for the 1/72 kit? I myself am only doing this cause I am making a 1/48 scale Kc-135R, and need to either scratch build the engins, or have someone experienced in cad, draw it up so it can be turned into and aftermarket item.

In addition to the above mentioned items, the MUCEL antenna (the four flying-saucer like antenna on the bottom of the aircraft) are mounted on broad bases, which are not included in the kit, so you'll have to make your own.

Mike

Thanks guys!

Never an easy fix, huh? :blink:

well, I guess I'm in for some scratch building. Joy of the hobby I suppose (despite promising myself that I would keep this one a straightforward OOB build! Oh well! :woot.gif: ).

Well, Murphy's law being what it is, perhaps my build will trigger the re-release of some CFM or RC-135 update sets so someone else can benefit!

Cheers!

The CFM-56 are not available and haven't been for over three or four years. Most of the other stuff from Flight Path are for the 707 airframes.

Some of the antennas can be used but is probably too expensive to just get certian parts.

The only part they have for the KC-135 is for the A model, its the front of the J-57 engine.

Hi guys,

Thanks!

One option is to get hold of an AMT/Ertl KC-135R or Heller C-135FR, swap the engines, and then build the second kit as an EC-135 (eg EC-135K 59-1518 - nice and straightforward, doesn't need saddle antennae etc: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=true ) - which will still fit in with your EW theme!

Doesn't solve the cheek antennae problem for your RC, but does justify the purchase of the second kit (probably about the same as a set of resin CFM's - if you can find any!), and adds an attractive model (the overall white finish was very sleek-looking, and easy to replicate, too!) your to your collection....

One option is to get hold of an AMT/Ertl KC-135R or Heller C-135FR, swap the engines, and then build the second kit as an EC-135 (eg EC-135K 59-1518 - nice and straightforward, doesn't need saddle antennae etc: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=true ) - which will still fit in with your EW theme!

Doesn't solve the cheek antennae problem for your RC, but does justify the purchase of the second kit (probably about the same as a set of resin CFM's - if you can find any!), and adds an attractive model (the overall white finish was very sleek-looking, and easy to replicate, too!) your to your collection....

I considered this, but I saw in previous posts that this would not be a simple 1 for 1 part swap, am I right?

I think I'll just keep the old engines and scratch what part of the antennas/etc I can.

Thanks!

I considered this, but I saw in previous posts that this would not be a simple 1 for 1 part swap, am I right?

I think I'll just keep the old engines and scratch what part of the antennas/etc I can.

Thanks!

The Heller KC-135s are the SAME kit as the AMT one. So an engine swap would work as AMT originally designed the CFM engine parts when they issued their KC-135R. Doing a swap of CFM engines from the Heller Awacs kit is apparently a bit more problematic, but it should be a piece of cake here.

Only thing is that the TF-33s engines in the RC-135 are a little off in spots anyway. They are a little undersized and only engines 2 and 3 have the humps above the intake. The intake hump configuration on an RC with TF-33s is humps on 1, 2 and 4 with no hump on 3. This is different from what most civilian 707s (and the later EC-135s) had which was humps on 2, 3, and 4 with none on engine 1.

The hump config that AMT used for their TF-33 engines seems to come from a KC-135E. The 135Es were A models retrofitted with turbofan engines from retired 707s. Some 707 airliners did have a configuration of humps on engines 2 and 3 with none on 1 and 4, but it wasn't as common as the 1, 2, and 4 hump configuration. The turbofan equipped EC-135s and RC-135s were equipped with TF-33s from the factory, hence the unique hump config on the RCs. So if you do an engine swap with a KC-135R for the engines, then pretty much the only plane that could be done accurately out of the box with the leftovers is a KC-135E.

The EC-135K 59-1518, is the only EC I've seen with a KC-135E engine configuration. But it appears the plane was once a KC-135A and got retrofitted to E spec before it again got modified to become an EC-135K. It certainly isn't a Looking Glass configured EC as I'm not sure what Tinker used it for.

Edited by Jay Chladek
The EC-135K 59-1518, is the only EC I've seen with a KC-135E engine configuration. But it appears the plane was once a KC-135A and got retrofitted to E spec before it again got modified to become an EC-135K. It certainly isn't a Looking Glass configured EC as I'm not sure what Tinker used it for.

The engine arrangement was part of why I offered it as a suggested subject - a straight swap with no need to worry about a third 'hump'....

Music on,

I'm also working on an electronic warfare collection. Right now I've got an EF-111, EA-6B, and a B-52H. Who made your EP-3E? I've been keeping my eye out for one of those (and an EB-66/B-66) for a while now. Also, since you seem to have a similar affliction, have you found any good EC-130 kits?

Cusak,,,

I'm not trying to but in on you but I am an Electronic Warfare Systems Technician in the USAF and as such have a wide collection of ECM/EW aircraft being and still to be built.

Like you I have an EP-3E also, but I had to aquire mine the hard way,,, by getting the Hasagawa P-3c kit and eventually finding the 12 Squared conversion kit to make it into the EP-3e Version, However not too long ago Hasagawa released a "new" kit already containing parts to make it into the later.

Look around some well stocked hobby shops or do a search on E-bay and the likes for one... You'll find it.......Trooper

Music on,

I'm also working on an electronic warfare collection. Right now I've got an EF-111, EA-6B, and a B-52H. Who made your EP-3E? I've been keeping my eye out for one of those (and an EB-66/B-66) for a while now. Also, since you seem to have a similar affliction, have you found any good EC-130 kits?

Trooper,

Good info. I'll have to do a more serious look soon. I'm trying to build up my skills before I start on the Hasegawa EF-111, and until that one gets built I doubt I'll do any serious searching for other EW aircraft. Now, if I just happen to stumble across one I can probably get it past the wife. As long as I'm not out looking for ways to increase the size of my stash. . .

For what it's worth I'm a Buff EWO, so I've got a soft spot for jets that screw with the bad guy's radar.

Trooper,

Good info. I'll have to do a more serious look soon. I'm trying to build up my skills before I start on the Hasegawa EF-111, and until that one gets built I doubt I'll do any serious searching for other EW aircraft. Now, if I just happen to stumble across one I can probably get it past the wife. As long as I'm not out looking for ways to increase the size of my stash. . .

For what it's worth I'm a Buff EWO, so I've got a soft spot for jets that screw with the bad guy's radar.

Cusak,

Mine is the Hasegawa EP-3E that I was lucky enough to find (for a premium) on EBay - essentially it's a P-3 with an added resin set and decals, but it's the only game in town as far as full kits go. It's one of the treasures of my stash! I haven't thought to look for a Compass Call, but if someone ever makes one, I'd surely jump on it!

FWIW, I was (in a former life) an EA-6B ECMO - degrade, deny, destroy! I had several BUFF EWO squadronmates who were doing exchange tours.

Edited by MusicOn

For the EP-3E there is also a Falcon Vacform Conversion available (I have one), though also hard to find. I managed to also get the resin parts for the Hasegawa kit from one our learned ARC forum members as he was building his kit as a straight P-3. I also have the Superscale decal sheet for the EP-3E. One day I will get around to do the EP-3E and perhaps an earlier EP-3A

So if you look hard enough you will find this stuff.

I also managed to pick up an EB-66 from Evil bay for a good price (postage included) came formteh UK, I eneded up being the only bidder and picked it up for about $15.

Edited by Aussie747
Music on,

C Scale made a 1/72 EC-130E (RR) conversion (kit # AC24, as well as a 1/72 EC-130H conversion (kit # AC36). Both are in white metal, and are long since OOP. Very nice kits, someday I may get around to using them.

There is the Italeri 1/72 EB-66E kit (sweet kit), and Airwaves did an EB-66C conversion in white metal, resin & PE brass. All are future builds for me.

I build recce & "special-mission" aircraft, so that includes all ECM & EW aircraft.

Larry Engesath