Building Tips for The 48th Scale P-61 Black Widow

• 5 months later...

Price? Shipping and Payment info?

I truly don't want to cause any problems with violating any forum rules I may not be aware of (I'm assuming it's not allowed to quote prices), as I am the manufacturer, but I think it's allowable to say it is extremely affordable and please e-mail me for the full details. Once you find out, you're probably quite free to discuss the price in this thread. ;)/> And thank you for your interest!

• 2 weeks later...

Great wall Hobbies P-61 B kit soon. it may seem :woot.gif:/> Last Kill

http://www.findmodelkit.com/content/coming-soon-great-wall-hobbies

Haven't seen photos of the sprue but, It looks like the put the turret on it instead of the fixed upper guns it should have. The "Lady-In-The-Dark" and all other 548th NFS P-61s had fixed upper guns, not the turret. I do have the gun cover for the fixed gun installation. $3.00 + postage(based on zipcode).

Cheers, Terry

Thanks. Looking forward to reading it when I can connect. It keeps kicking off. Ah, finally in. This is a review for a corrected kit they'd like to sell me. I'd like the corrections for the expensive box of junk they sold me the first time. If anyone sees some customer service email, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Space Tiger Hobbes
  • 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I contacted DragonCare by email recently asking about replacement parts. They replied quickly that GW didn't provide them with replacement parts, but they were offering a corrected nose. I provided my address and a few days later I got a sturdy box containing both plastic and clear corrected noses sealed in blister packs, a resin gunsight, and instructions on placement.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I have a colour scheme question for the p-61. Im painting it green and grey with invasion stripes. I need some help with the green. I used Tamiya XF62 OD green and it looks really brown, but the olive green (XF-58) looks too light , any tips? I was thinking of trying Dark green 2 (XF-81), or maybe a different dark green?

Thanks, Dave

Hey guys, I have a colour scheme question for the p-61. Im painting it green and grey with invasion stripes. I need some help with the green. I used Tamiya XF62 OD green and it looks really brown, but the olive green (XF-58) looks too light , any tips? I was thinking of trying Dark green 2 (XF-81), or maybe a different dark green?

Thanks, Dave

Just my $.02 worth but, I think the Tamiya XF62 is about right for the OD.

Cheers, Terry

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks, Dave

Dave, I don't know if you ever got an answer to your question about USAAF Olive Drab. The official colors used to make Dark Olive Drab during the early wars years was simply Black & ochre. Olive Drab really isn't a shade of Green, it's in the Brownish family. As the war progressed in 1943 the Dark Olive Drab that air air corp used, and the Olive Drab that the Army used was combined into one lighter color: AN 319 Olive Drab.

Tamiya's XF62 is as close to the original Dark OD as you can get. If you're modeling a aircraft painted post 1943, then you just want to lighten up the color some with yellow. That's about as good of a starting point as you're going to get. The actual color varied by manufacture and who they got their tints from.

Joel

• 2 months later...

Posted photos of my Monogram P-61 Black Widow on www.thescalereview.com ... Granted, I built the kit before the new kit came out, but the lines are spot on! The panel lines and canopy fit were a bear, as were pretty much every seam :-) Didn't want to spend 40 bean on the Vector Resin replacement canopy ... always wanted one of these in my collection though, and I am satisfied with the result :-) ... Brian

My P-61 Photos

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

Due to the number of requests I've had the last several days for my P-61 Building Tips write up and my relative computer illiteracy, this seemed to be the easiest way to get the write up to all who want it. Please feel free to download, printout, cut& paste, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building Tips For The 48th Scale Black Widow

The first thing I check upon opening the kit is the clear parts sprue. In the later issue kits parts # 79L and 79R can be and often are incomplete moldings(short shots). The two options here are, contact RM for replacement parts or dig through your spares box for appropriate sized clear pieces to scratchbuild replacements. The main and R/O's canopies do not fit well at all. This is my fix for the problem. I use styrene strips(from Evergreen) .015x.060 and .010x .060 to build up the sills the canopies mount to. Once the sills are built up to the right height,I sand them flush with the crew nacelle. I also round the upper, rear corners of the cockpit opening to match the canopy. Vector Models has a beautiful but pricey clear resin canopy set that is available from Linden Hill Imports.

Tires & wheels: The kit tires are correct only for the two XP-61's and the first couple YP-61's. All others used diamond tread tires. True Details has two different sets; early style for P-61A's thru mid-production P-61B's and a late style for Late production P-61B's, C's and F-15A Reporters.

Cockpit: It needs attention. As it is in the kit, it's incorrect for any variant as it's a hodge-podge of A, B and C cockpits. True Details, Eduard and Lone Star Models has this covered pretty well. Lone Star's resin cockpit is for a P-61A but can be used for a B model as there is little visual difference.

Wing/Boom alignment: Typical twin-boom a/c, time and patience are key to getting it right. When alignment is right the outer wing panels should lay flat, giving the bird a slight gull-winged look. Filler will be needed at the wing/boom joints. In fact, filler will be needed at just about every major joint on the model.

Flaps: you're on your own here. I've seen photos with flaps in every position from full up to full down, usually full up.

A note on the PE sets. One of the bigger sets contains the spoilers. DO NOT, repeat , DO NOT install both spoilers in the full up postion(couldn't happen). The spoilers were strictly for roll control and were rarely seen as the controls were usually centered.

Drop Tanks: NO drop tanks on OD/Gray aircraft(P-61A-1's). Drop tanks were not used until the P-61A-10 and then only one outboard of the boom on each side. Four drop tanks were first used on the P-61B-2's.

Engine Cowls: A sore point for some, left side closed flaps, right side open flaps. On the ground both flaps were ususally open. Cutting Edge had a correction set out. With Cutting Edge gone, I have brought out my own cowl set and a couple other small items. My cowls are a direct copy of the right side cowl. Contrary to what some folks think, it is not necessary to replace both cowls. Vector Models has released a cowl/engine set(both cowls/engines) and a propeller set. The casting is absolutely flawless. not a hint of a bubble or flash anywhere to be seen. The builder will need to do a bit of surgery on the booms to install the cowl/engine sets. The builder will also need to supply his/her own small wire for the pushrod covers on the engines and the sactuator rods for the cowl flaps(very nice touch). take great care when installing the prop blades onto the spinners. While the locating pins are substantial, there are no flats on them to set the pitch of the blades. I highly recommend these sets. They're a bit spendy but, IHMO, worth it.

Conversions: Lone Star Models has conversions out for a P-61C(turbo,charged variants), F-15 a Reporter , F-15A Reporter tanker and has rereleased his XP-61E conversion.

Wheel wells: You're pretty much on your own here except for the nose gear well(included in Lone Star's cockpit set.) Color is open to interpretation. I go with unpainted wheel wells(have seen photos of unpainted wells).

Decals: Try to find aftermarket sheets as the kit decals are junk. they're stiff, hard to use and inaccurate. Aeromaster, SuperScale and Pyn-up have a number of sheets out but, all but the Pyn-up sheet are OOP now. They can be found on line and at swapmeets. The Revell/Germany kits has a very nice sheet with accurate markings. Zotz Decals has released two new sheets. They look great.

Paint: This has been pretty well covered here and on HS lately. Only the first 40-some P-61A's were OD/Gray. All other production a/c were overall Gloss Black except for the F-15A Reporters which were all in a NMF. Several Experimental a/c were in a NMF with yellow cowls.

If anyone runs into problems or questions while building their Widow's, shoot me an e-mail or call and I'll be more than happy to help out.

As soon as I can get my hands on the new GWH P-61A, I will post some comments here.

Terry

(Certifiable P-61 NUT!!) :thumbsup:/>

As of 05-15-2011, I've built 10(8 for myself), have 5 on the bench and an additional 31 waiting in the stash.

• 1 month later...

Evidently the HB 1/48 P-61A is out. It shows on the Squadron front page and I just got a shipping notice. Sprues here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234953217-148-northrop-p-61abc-black-widow-by-hobby-boss-sprues-pics-p-61a-release-late-august-2014/

I am not optimistic. Considering it's not even $10 less than the GW kit, not sure what the market is.