This will be my next project for this group build.

AV-8A_1.jpg

This is the scheme I am planning on doing.

AV-8A_2.jpg

As with most projects it starts with the front office.

AV-8A_3.jpg

I'm not to happy with the bang seat detail so I am considering giving this pilot the job.

I like the way he looks in there.

AV-8A_4.jpg

Semper Fi

Mark

Cool. I like. I'd better join in with this GB 'cause Harriers are my favorite!

Early USMC Harriers used a seat that looks similar to the one found in the Jaguar jet. Paragon makes such a seat. I agree with the kit seat in the Harrier, it's ugly! I think the Stencel seat (not the ACES II) in the old Monogram F-16A could be modified/swapped out for the Harrier seat but once the fuselages are glued, you don't see much of the 'pit!

I like the decals you've got. I wonder if some of those are still floating around! :rofl:

Thanks guys,

It may be an old kit with some fit issues particularly around the intakes, but over all it's not to bad. The intakes are going to need some work though. The vents on the side of the intake that open on the ground to improve airflow into the engine are not included. The square openings are there but no vent doors. So these need to be scratched. Not terribly difficult just time consuming.

The kit is also lacking the small window on the left side nose section.

av8a-1.jpg

Although I have seen some early Harriers without it.

av8a-2.jpg

So I think I will leave it as is.

I like the decals you've got. I wonder if some of those are still floating around! :whistle:

They were an ebay score from about 6 months ago. The sheet is long out of production but you never know.

Semper Fi,

Mark

This is my progress thus far. Fuselage halves joined, wing assembly done and dry fit to fuselage and intake glued in place

AV-8A_5.jpg

The intakes have been a pain in the arse. There is quite a significant gap between the intake piece and the side of the outer fuselage half. The left side has been filled with epoxy putty.

AV-8A_6.jpg

The inlets on the side of the intakes need to have the doors added with styrene sheet. I've only added two so far.

AV-8A_8.jpg

The windscreen has an issue also. The front of the piece has a blob of plastic on it. My other Monogram 1/48 AV-8A kit also has the same issue.

AV-8A_9.jpg

I have to sand it down and reshape the windscreen. :thumbsup:

But what do you expect from a kit that is 26 years old.

Semper Fi,

Mark

Good work!

The front of the piece has a blob of plastic on it. My other Monogram 1/48 AV-8A kit also has the same issue.

Perhaps that 'blob' is actually the housing for the mechanism for the windscreen viper. I also noticed it on my Hasegawa 1/72 Harriers (AV-8A, Gr.3 & Sea Harrier)

Good work!

Perhaps that 'blob' is actually the housing for the mechanism for the windscreen viper. I also noticed it on my Hasegawa 1/72 Harriers (AV-8A, Gr.3 & Sea Harrier)

You are absolutely correct. Plasticweapons kindly sent me some photos showing exactly that. The "blob" is actually the housing for the windsheild wiper arm.

I'm sure glade I hadn't got around to sanding the "Blob" off yet. :lol:

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Mark

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Some progress has been made today on this little bird. I really do like the look of these early Harriers. It definitely has a very bird like appearance to it.

There has been a few minor fit issues, mostly due to my not test fitting certain pieces throughly enough before gluing them together. I also managed to glue the wing on to the fuselage before attaching the insert for the main landing gear. The wing seemed to join to the fuselage fairly well, but I have a considerable gap on the under side join at the wing root.

AV-8A_12.jpg

I did remember to install air brake well. There was a bit of a gap around this piece also. a little liquid putty did the trick.

AV-8A_11.jpg

I have the left intake attached. there is a slight gap here, and in process of filling it I will most likely loose the raised detail that represent the lower intake doors. These will be the only detail that I will re-scribe

AV-8A_10.jpg

Here she is up on her legs, with her gear dry fit to see how she sits........ Not to bad.

AV-8A_13.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Semper Fi,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get some work done on my Harrier, she is just about ready for primer and the paint barn.

AV-8A_19.jpg

Intakes are done and have been blended to the fuselage.

AV-8A_14.jpg

But before I get to painting I decided to re-do the wing fences on the leading edge of the wing. I was not happy with how they were looking.

AV-8A_15.jpg

My plan is to sand the old ones of so just a hint of it is left to use as a guide for cutting a slot in the wing with a razor saw.

AV-8A_16.jpg

Next, I inserted a thin piece of plastic card stock attached with a drop of Tenax.

AV-8A_18.jpg

After the glue dried the new wing fence was sanded to shape.

AV-8A_17.jpg

Several more wing fences to go and she'll be ready to paint.

Semper Fi,

Mark

Looking really nice so far Mark! :P

One of my first aircraft kits I ever built in the early 1980's was one of these kits that I picked up cheap at a garage sale! Was hand-painted and looks like garbage compared to my current builds, but was one of the first where I recall trying to match the paint colors correctly and I still have it too. Have since standardized on 1/72 and have one of the ESCI kits sitting in the stash waiting.

Great job so far. :worship: I must remember to do what you did with the wing fence replacement . I did mine the hard way on the AV-8B kit for the Desert Storm GB (the deadline is very close) using the Eduard PE wing fences as templates and cutting out from styrene sheet. Your technique is much more stronger! I keep knocking mine off and gluing it back on only to knock it off again...*sigh*. :wave:

I love Harriers!

• 2 months later...

I'mmmmmmmm Baaaaack!

It's been quite a while since I made an up-date on this build. (over two months :banana: )

So, I've primed it, sprayed the underside color (light gray) and preshaded it a bit.

AV-8A_20.jpg

Last night I masked off the bottom and sprayed the topside gray color.

AV-8A_21.jpg

Today I plan on making some masks for the camo pattern and should have it painted by the weekend and ready for decaling. (my favorite bit :banana: )

She's getting there. It will be close but she will be done by the deadline.

Semper Fi, :)

Edited by Rampage55