First off, I'm really excited to do this build. I say that because I haven't touched a 1/72nd kit in about 5 months and 72nd is my preferred scale. Anyways, I'm hoping to get started with this kit after class today. I think I have some True Details ejection seats to add, but I'll have to dig around and find them.

DSCN1405.jpg

My one question to you all is what markings should I do this in? And where can I find decal sheets for it? I think I would like to do a USAF bird, but I'm open to suggestions.

:thumbsup:

John

Belchers Bits makes a really cool sheet for Canadian VooDoos and one of the aircraft is a test bird that is overall gloss black and looks really sharp.

I'll see if I can dig up the sheet when I get home from the office and scan it in to post an image of it and the artwork.

Check the July 1st main page....I have 4 Canadian Voodoos on it. All of which (but 101012) can be done from the Belcher bits set. But not at the same time.

Check the July 1st main page....I have 4 Canadian Voodoos on it. All of which (but 101012) can be done from the Belcher bits set. But not at the same time.

ALSO the sheet was just RE_released

You WANT to build CANADIAN.

Belchers Bits makes a really cool sheet for Canadian VooDoos and one of the aircraft is a test bird that is overall gloss black and looks really sharp.

I'll see if I can dig up the sheet when I get home from the office and scan it in to post an image of it and the artwork.

That wasnt a test scheme, it was a full operational scheme, for 415 EW training squadron. That will be my next 1/72 Voodoo also.

That wasnt a test scheme, it was a full operational scheme, for 415 EW training squadron. That will be my next 1/72 Voodoo also.
Ah, I see, I probably should have read a bit on it. In my Voodoo book by Dorr it has a little bit of a better explanation of what she did. Last operational F-101B in the world when she stood down.

Very cool scheme though, when I got the sheet from Belcher Bits and saw that one I knew I would have to build it.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I have my mind set on a USAF example. So, what USAF decals are out there? I know Bare-Metal makes a set. Anyone else? Anyways, I airbrushed the cockpit and side walls of the fuselage and also airbrushed the zinc chromate parts. I might get the cockpit done tonight w/the exception of the ejection seats.

Arrgghh!!! So I have the nose landing gear bay installed and the fuselage together. But I go to test fit just the cockpit tub and it wouldn't fit. So, I do a little sanding and now the tub fits fine...However, the front instrument panel will not fit in the correct place now. Has anyone else had this problem w/the kit?

John

OK, so I have successfully installed the cockpit tub and I made sure that I can get the instrument panels in as well. So that's good. I also got the intakes installed along with the wings and weapons bay/rotary thing.

DSCN1406.jpg

In this next image you can see how well the weapons rotary thing doesn't fit. The gap on one side is bigger than the other :D (yes I know the landing gear is not supposed to be zinc chromate)

DSCN1407.jpg

So, since the fit of that area isn't that great, would there ever have been a time when the door was half way open? Like this:

DSCN1411.jpg

TIA

John

So, since the fit of that area isn't that great, would there ever have been a time when the door was half way open?

When on the line it was the norm for [C]F-101B's to have the door in the vertical position. When the aircraft was sealed up overnight the door was rotated 1/4 turn to close up the bay.

One detail, the inside of the weapons bay (the half barrel) was white, not green. But if it doesn't bother you, leave it as is as most people won't know the difference.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Bratton

That 72nd kit looks very much like the 48th kit. Not entirely, but it seems to share some of the same problems. I did the 48th and had the exact problems with the weapons platform. I didn't like it half-open (not my cup of tea), so I found out by asking on the forums which side would be out on a "clean" bird. It would be the side for the missiles, not the rockets, FYI.

I took the side fins off, glued the door in place, puttied the frak out of it, cleaned it up, grinded down the side fins a bit so they fit better, puttied the gap at the inside-front-edge of either fin, and the whole thing took a lot of effort but came out looking not-too-shabby.

( http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1...ller/fea698.htm for reference)

As for markings: I'm a big fan of the USAF hi-vis schemes, and I even like the one on the box top. You wouldn't go wrong if you used that. Unless, naturally, the box decals are sub-par.

P.S. Put a small nose weight in. In 48th it's so perfectly balanced that I can tip it back onto its tail and it'll sit there, or push the nose down and it'll sit there too.

Edited by Mark M.

looking good thier john i am doing the same kit. at least you made it thru the cockpit trouble i didnt and i am going to tint the canopy. did you have any trouble with the joing of the fulasge to the wing section? one more thiing to point out your nose grear doors arent red. but other thatn that i dont see anything wrong.

What I did w/the wings was glue the bottom wing onto the fuselage first(with the intakes glued to that wing already. Then there was a little bit of sanding needed on the forward fuselage to wing part. After that was sanded, I just glued the upper portions of the wings on next. I just need a wee bit of filler on one of the wing-fuselage joins. If you glue the wings together first and then glue the whole wing assembly to the fuselage you might have a bigger gap between the upper wings and fuselage. HTH Oh yeah, those doors will get painted red eventually.

John

Depends on how old the decals are. If they're not yellowed, look to be in decent shape, then I think you should have no problems with them. I've built many many Revell kits over the years and I rarely have problems with the decals. On the other hand I've had some Airfix, Academy, and "other" where the decals shattered, were super thick, or just plain had no adhering power.

You should be good. Just try it out first. Most decal sheets have the names of the kits or the company on them. Find something that doesn't actually go on the model, cut it out, and apply it to some scrap or a piece of sprue, or whatever.

Mark, you've got me convinced...but a complete (minus seats) OOB build :cheers: ...I...I...don't know what to say..I haven't attempted such a feat in so long :P I'll give it a shot and let you all know the results. Thanks.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. I'm just about ready for paint! ;) All seams have been filled/sanded and the tail planes have been added. Anyways, here's a pic:

DSCN1695.jpg

One question. Did all F-101Bs have the yellow striping around the canopy?

Thanks,

John

Progress!!! The paint is now drying. After it dries, I'll just need to paint the red areas (speed brakes and flap interior) and then I can start decaling!

DSCN1704.jpg

DSCN1703.jpg

I hope to have this done by Thursday evening for my local model meeting! :cheers:

John

I've got some old decals sheets, not sure of the brand, dedicated to USAF Voodoos including one from Maine..called the Mainiacs.....let me dig them out and post the units here..if you want one..better you use one scheme then they go to waste sitting in my cabinet...whoops...wrong scale..nevermind!

Edited by Via Sistina
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...