Tony, the ones now going to be scrapped were being preserved for War Reserve or Parts beforehand, now with no need for the parts ... well you know ...

Gregg

Nice pics, Brian! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Especially the Tomcat Sunset pic came out great!

FA-18AStrike162445.jpg

Have there ever been decals for aircraft like these? I mean with all the black/white reference stickers?

I mean, it would make a nice model, wouldn't it?

Tony, the ones now going to be scrapped were being preserved for War Reserve or Parts beforehand, now with no need for the parts ... well you know ...

Gregg

Thanks Gregg

Tony

Nice pics, Brian! Thanks for sharing! :explode:

Have there ever been decals for aircraft like these? I mean with all the black/white reference stickers?

I mean, it would make a nice model, wouldn't it?

Not yet.....

-brian

Not yet.....

-brian

YET.....Man i have been wanting these decals for a long time,I did my last vx-23 jets decals myself,I would love to have like 5 or 6 sheets...any perspective date..?..STUMP

Nice pics, Brian! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

I don't know how big of a seller it would be, but just having a basic sheet of various camera target decals by itself would really be nice. And in 1/72 would be cool.

Dave

www.TheNorthSpin.com

Dedicated to Aircraft Flight Test for the Aviation Enthusiast

• 2 months later...

I remember a few years ago I went to Davis Monthan for an exercise and was suprised to find that if you go jogging down the flightline road (runs parallel to the taxi/park areas) you can jog right off DM and into the ARMARC facility. It was very cool to jog in and around the history....only problem was that being a aircraft buff, I didn't get much jogging in. I would start...go 50 feet and have to stop and look at another jet. I don't know if the fenced gate is still left open but I'd be intrested to find out.

TSgt Chris melanson

Great shots Brian. Truly a sad end to a proud warrior, but like the song says "All things must pass"

A question here, and anyone can answer this if they wish. Why are some areas on the fighters covered and other areas not? Anything to do with sensitive hardware on the fighters?

Cheers :worship:

Andy G

It's not logical, why destroy them. Don't they realize they just may have to pull them out of mothballs, along with some AIM-54's. Sometimes I have to wonder how some Jack@sses get any where near a political office. :) :doh: <_<

It's not logical, why destroy them. Don't they realize they just may have to pull them out of mothballs, along with some AIM-54's. Sometimes I have to wonder how some Jack@sses get any where near a political office. :) :doh: <_<

Not really no, considering the lack of spares, the enourmous amount of maintenance hours to flight hours, the need to retrain crews on them (maintenance, refueling etc) all when the navy has enough planes as it is. If WW3 did loom large, who would fly them? the F-18 Block II's are comming off the line? where are you going to find the pilots, let alone deckspace on the carriers.

I share the sad sentiment, but it's not exactly the same as a gun. Keeping the tomcat in service was becomming a hindrance, not a benefit.

It's not logical, why destroy them. Don't they realize they just may have to pull them out of mothballs, along with some AIM-54's. Sometimes I have to wonder how some Jack@sses get any where near a political office. :doh::doh: <_<

Someone going fishing ? :)

Gregg

Not really no, considering the lack of spares, the enourmous amount of maintenance hours to flight hours, the need to retrain crews on them (maintenance, refueling etc) all when the navy has enough planes as it is. If WW3 did loom large, who would fly them? the F-18 Block II's are comming off the line? where are you going to find the pilots, let alone deckspace on the carriers.

I share the sad sentiment, but it's not exactly the same as a gun. Keeping the tomcat in service was becomming a hindrance, not a benefit.

I do agree with the sentiment above. However, I know it was WAY back, but some aircraft have been in fact taken out of mothballs to put back into service. But that is more than highly unlikely here. But I am one who would love to see it.

Edited by jimz66
...all when the navy has enough planes as it is.

The only part of your argument I disagree with. The Navy's hurting for planes so bad, it's stripping them from Reserve and land-based squadrons to send to fleet squadrons as F/A-18's start wearing out. Happened to VFA-201 recently.