2. And I think this echo's Wally's comment earlier - AMARG is so backed up w/ requests for Tomcat visits and photojournalist types that they have become INCREDIBLY selective as to who and why people get out there. It does take some major credentials to even get consideration. I felt extrememly lucky and grateful to have the opportunity I did today.

It was actually me that said that. I assume you worked with Theresa? She's great, isn't she? I've been out there twice now to roam around the F-16 and F-4 storage areas and just amazed at the history there. I'm going back later this year and again next spring and can't wait.

Jake

What a wus.. :D

I licked 163217 like there was no tomorrow.

That's exactly why there was no tongue and I kissed a different jet - VF-143 100 and VF-24 212 to be exact!

Dave - thank you! I didn't get the 4 confiscated bunos. In fact w/ that fence, my shot was as close as I could get to them ,but I know the bunos are floating around on here. The three from Chino are wel documented and you can get them off the museum's site. Actually haven't checked out the site since they lost the Tomcats. And I know somebody has the JAG buno...

Jake - Ahh, it was you! Sorry I didn't remember correctly. I so wish I had the ability to spend more time out there like you're able to! Yes it was Theresa (terri?) And yes, she was amazing and incredibly knowledgeable about the aircraft.

Darren - Thank you my friend. I definitely thought of you around the VF-11 jets. Sorry I couldn't get more shots of them.

And now for some more pictures!!!

Black tailed VF-84 F-14A awaiting the block.

VF-84blacktailAmargoldF-14Aline.jpg

VX30 201 F-14D

VX-30F-14D201Amargsunset.jpg

VF-101 F-14A. One of the better looking Tomcats on the waiting line.

VF-101134AmargoldF-14Aline.jpg

VF-14 F-14A. As hard as it is to see these jets in this condition, I'm really itching to build a model this way!

VF-14amargoldF-14Aline-1.jpg

Here's a jet with some history! NAWC 100. Those used to be orange tails. Anybody want some older test Tomcats...

NAWC100159429.jpg

More to come...

More great photos--thanks for again sharing them! :salute: I don't find the boneyard shots as depressing as some people do--in some ways, they're even more interesting than ones of active-duty a/c.

That black-tailed VF-84 jet... it almost looks like a "4" in front of the "3". If so, 243 might be the highest MODEX I've ever seen on a non-RAG Tomcat... :o (Not counting VF-143's retro jet)

Daniel

Few more

Yet another old VF-84 F-14A. Most of the 'waiting to be destroyed' jets seem to be Vf-84, 101, 14...

VF-84159452amargoldF-14Aline90s.jpg

VF-213. Hard to miss this one. It's visible from the road at the end of line 10

VF-213213164602Amarg.jpg

VF-14 TopCat tail art.

VF-14116159863tophattail.jpg

Now anybody want to play "which of these jets will Fightertown Decals release decals for"? I'll give you a hint - it's not just the VF-143 jet already mentioned...or maybe we should take requests...

-brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
Dave - thank you! I didn't get the 4 confiscated bunos. In fact w/ that fence, my shot was as close as I could get to them ,but I know the bunos are floating around on here. The three from Chino are wel documented and you can get them off the museum's site. Actually haven't checked out the site since they lost the Tomcats. And I know somebody has the JAG buno...

Funny how big a fuss they've made about them... They even mentioned them on the news ticker during the Boneyards show tonight.

Dave

www.TheNorthSpin.com

Dedicated to Aircraft Flight Test for the Aviation Enthusiast

I said earlier I don't really find the boneyard shots depressing, but this is the one-and-only exception. What an awful way to #$&@-up a great paintjob... :o

VF-213213164602Amarg.jpg

And if you're taking Fightertown requests... hmm... :whistle: That last one from VF-14... the one from VX-30... VF-101 AD-134... oh, heck, just do all of 'em! :salute:

Daniel

Dave - grabbed those bunos for you. The 3 jets came from Yanks Air at the Chino Airport.

160928, 160671, 158985.

And while I'm here, a few more shots!

Last shots of the night. VF-143 111

VF-143111sepiasunset.jpg

Another reserve jet, VF-201

VF-201blacktailAmargnight.jpg

Another VF-11 jet for Darren

VF-11102Amargsunset.jpg

Brian thanks for sharing. I am just sad to see any birds in this condition. It isn't fair to those who designed, built, flew or worked on them, it just ins't right. Maybee I sound like a sourpus but I cannot help it. I just got finished reading The Wild Blue by the late great Stephen Ambrose last night. In the epiloge he stated that of the 18,000 B-24's that were built only like three or four are in musuems and only one flies. I just think that that is an abomination.

Thanks for the hard work Brian.

I would like to see decals for that VF-14 cat on a sheild off the Kennedy a couple photos up. Prefered WITH the AJ tail codes carried on the insides of the rudders.

Brian thanks for sharing. I am just sad to see any birds in this condition. It isn't fair to those who designed, built, flew or worked on them, it just ins't right. Maybee I sound like a sourpus but I cannot help it. I just got finished reading The Wild Blue by the late great Stephen Ambrose last night. In the epiloge he stated that of the 18,000 B-24's that were built only like three or four are in musuems and only one flies. I just think that that is an abomination.

Thanks for the hard work Brian.

Jim-

You have to understand something.

1. There's no room in a modern navy for aging military hardware.

2. The F-14 was a great fighter and bomber for it's time, but maintenance costs for the aircraft were too high, thus putting a strain on the US tax payer.

3. The F-14A's Brian took pics of were at one time canibalized for parts to keep other F-14A's flying, and now they're being destroyed to protect American interests by not allowing Iran to get their hands on parts from the aircraft to kepp their jets flying.

4. AMARG has a selection of F-14B's and D's that are on war reserve and will be around for quite some time with no fear of hitting the chopping block for at least 10-20 years.

I for one hate to see any F-14's destroyed, but it is all for a good reason.

Ok Brian. Thanks. Sorry to upset you on this and my last thread. Can you clearify the painting on that VF-102 bird. You got me even more confused. And I got your address on my home CPU so I'll send out that package soon. Thanks. Jim

Oh Brian, what is the purpose of the shrinkwrap? What does it protect from other than prying eyes?

Also what's with the stecnil stuff they put on there under the cockpits? I have seen that in other places.

Edited by jimz66
Also what's with the stecnil stuff they put on there under the cockpits? I have seen that in other places.

Even though the jet is in storage, it receives periodic maintenance such as reapplying the spraylat. The stencils you see are records of maintenance.

Jake

Man, it's hard to believe some of those jets I saw in person when they were still active. I can still remember that sound they make when engines are on, like high pitch whistle, that when you heard it, you just knew it was a Tomcat.

Mike

Ok Brian. Thanks. Sorry to upset you on this and my last thread. Can you clearify the painting on that VF-102 bird. You got me even more confused. And I got your address on my home CPU so I'll send out that package soon. Thanks. Jim

Oh Brian, what is the purpose of the shrinkwrap? What does it protect from other than prying eyes?

Jim-

You haven't upset me. It's all about properly educating you my friend. :cheers:

On that first shot in the last post, I looked at the tail sticking up behind 159454 and for a second thought, "Geez, what the heck has the desert sun done to that Sundowners paintjob? :o " Then I realized it seems to actually be the tail of an S-3. :cheers:

And in the that final pic, you can see the tail of one from VF-24. Is that the same 202 as on the Fightertown sheet?

Daniel

That S-3 tail is actually an ES-3A, Elint aircraft. They were a short lived variant of the S-3 in the mid 90s.

The 2 VF-24 jets are w/ the D/B reserve. While the other -24 jet is modex 202 it is actually 160410, an earlier black A w/o the ECM upgrades like 161869 on our sheet. I did look up all the VF-24 a/c by buno, but none of the ones on our sheet were listed in the inventory. These 2 are the only Vf-24 markings that I know still exist in the boneyard, though there used to be quite a few.

-brian

Gtreat shots,sad,but nice shots. One question though. What I don't understand is,if they are going to scrap these aircraft,why are they cacooned to protect them?

Tony