Just the latest pics on my seawolf. I've now put the cockpit in the fusalage and built rear bench seats. No pics just yet.

100_2130.jpg

100_2129.jpg

Rich

Edited by richuk
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I like the seatbelts, how did you make them?

:D

Hi Aussie,

Made the belts from metal foil cut from a take-away tray ...chicken korma if I remember correctly. The buckles are from thin kitchen foil stuck on and wrapped round the belts. They look OK in this scale but not sure if you size up to 1/48.

Here are some more progress pics

100_2239.jpg

cockpit is in and fuselage joined together.

100_2243.jpg

I've had a go here trying to put the side panels in between the front and rear doors

100_2395.jpg

side panels in and scratch built bench seat from copper tubing and kitchen foil glued over it. Once painted it becomes quite stiff. I've used a hole punch to make the holes in the "canvass" where the seat belts go.

100_2389.jpg

this is the roof panel with overhead IP and mic wires which will hang down. I decided not to put panelling in the roof piece as I spent ages doing that to a UH-1F and then found that you can't see it anyway.

100_2398.jpg

More to come soon.

Thanks, Rich

Here are a few more pics. Seat belts are in the back and posts have been added to the rear door space.

100_2401.jpg

100_2400.jpg

100_2406.jpg

Next task is to get the roof and engine housing on and cut the surgical tubes I'm using for the rocket tubes.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Finally starting to look like a proper Huey. Roof and engine housing is on and ammo belts glued into place. I used some foil and scored lines in it as close as possible, then painted it black and dry brushed with silver, although with hind sight maybe it would have been better to do it the other way round.

100_2429.jpg

100_2419.jpg

100_2418.jpg

100_2417.jpg

Next up will be the rockets.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to building the rocket pods. They need painting and of couse attaching to the hard point, which I'll be using from the UH-1D set. They were made from surgical needles, cut with a rotary saw on the mini tool and superglued together. The bindings were made with foil from that take-away tray.

100_2521.jpg

100_2520.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Congratulations for Your nice job! :thumbsup: I'm going to assemble the 1:72 scale model of the UH-1C Gunship / US Navy HA(L)-3 "Seawolves" Vietnam 1970 at Bin Thuy (Italeri) and I want to insert it into a diorama. Is it historically correct when I remove the external launcher and apply an outdoor gunner with a M60 machine gun? Did the Navy Hueys use this kind of configuration in the Viet War in 1970? Can You help me?

Thanks and again: your model is very nice and I will use it as a basis for my work.

Ciao from Italy

Vincenzo42

Edited by Vincenzo42

Hi all,

It's been a few weeks since my last update, what with work and my boys' half term, I hardly have time to think, let alone build models. Anyway, I have managed to squeeze in a bit of "me" time and resulting in the following pics. It's almost built now, the end is nigh....

100_2550.jpg

I scratched some ammo cans from laminated styrene and just put in some brass coloured foil. You can get ammo from Verlinden or Eduard, but I'll have to make do with this. Handles were made from fuse wire. The M60's were from Aeroclub, with fuse wire handles superglued onto them. I'll hang them up in the door way eventually.

100_2555.jpg

Ammo cans painted , washed and drybrushed.

100_2548.jpg

Another shot of the m-158 pods painted up and weathered plus the miniguns wired up as well using fuse wire again.

100_2556.jpg

Have had a go adding the counterweights on the rotorhead using a hole punch through thick plasticard and some solder wire. You can also see I've had a go at wiring up the weapons, with fuse wire running from the body to the pylons.

100_2551.jpg

almost there now. decals are on. Just needs a flat coat of future and weathering. I've not modelled any particular Seawolf, rather this represents all of them, the decals are actually from the Italeri UH-1C kit, but they work just fine. As the first navy hueys were from the Army, I've seen pics of "Army" painted over and "Navy" written in its place, which is what I've attempted to do here.i've also painted the doors a slightly different colour (Vallejo US olive drab) to the rest of the Huey (Humbrol OD) to represent a beat up model that's had to have them replaced due to damage or wear and tear, the same as the windscreen and chin bubble which has been replaced .

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, almost there now. Managed to get the rocket pods and mini guns on, doors on and have started to weather it a little bit. As you can see I've wired all the weapons up and had a go a putting the firing pins on the back of the rockets although you can't really see these that well. I was annoyed at the Seawolf crest on the nose. I use Klear to settle my decals down and must have used too much as I lined the badge up perfectlty in the middle onlt to see it slide skew wiff to the left. It's too small any way as it should cover the gap between the chin bubbles. I'm sure the Fireball ones would be alot more accurate but too pricey just for one decal. I've weathered using chalk pastals.Ii've used a pale yellow and tried to mark all the areas where the OD would fade most. It still needs a bit more, especially the exhaust fumes on the tail and perhaps a bit more dirt here and there. Hope you all like it so far.

Rich

100_2569.jpg

100_2567.jpg

100_2564.jpg

100_2571.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Should be finished in the next few days. Finally put on the ammo belt feed to the mini guns which took about 2 1/2 hours as I had to constantly rework the foil , by rolling it round a toothpick, to give that heavy look. This was one of the hardest parts of the build and induced more swearing than the rest put together, especially when a mini gun broke off!!!. Anyway, it's done now and I'm very happy with the result. I've also finished weathering it using chalk pastels bought for a few quid in a discount art shop. I used a pale yellow and white to try and represent the faded and salt sprayed OD. Just need to glue in the 60's and the rotors and we're there.....at bloody last.

100_2600.jpg

100_2594.jpg

100_2599.jpg

100_2592.jpg

Cheers, Rich