Hello all, I finally had a chance to make some progress on this one. Just a quick disclaimer, this is my first time posting any modeling work. My apologies in advance for the photo quality and whatever else looks or sounds funny :) Anyway, This is the 1/48 Eduard La-7 weekend edition with Eduard and Part PE sets, a Goffy resin engine, Tally Ho wheels and aftermarket decals. .

Here I have the Eduard PE flap wells in place:

la7flaps014.jpg

This is my first time making extensive use of PE, I was always pretty intimidated by the idea but I gotta say that so far I've had fun with it. Go figure.

The Goffy Models Ash-82 engine is a nice little kit, it comes complete with all of the intake tubes and exhaust pipes for one side. The casting quality is decent, and the picture really doesn't do justice to the level of detail. My instructions were of such poor copy clarity that I couldn't figure the exhaust placement. No big deal for my purposes. The very few good photo references I could find for WWII VVS radial engines seemed to indicate the cylinders were painted black for some reason, so I went a bit heavy with the wash.

la7flaps006.jpg

The pushrod tubes were added with styrene. I will be modeling the front cowl cooling vanes/flaps in the open position for a change of pace. I didn't bother with plug wires as only a tiny bit of the engine will be visible.

The cockpit sides are more or less done, a mix of the Eduard and Part PE was used. The Part PE set really is of very good quality, a bit hard to find though. I wasn't able to pony up the cash for the WEM VVS paints, so I did my best to come sorta close to ALG-5 for the cockpit.

la7flaps016.jpg

I used the color PE parts from the Eduard set for the panel, but my camera has no chance of getting a good picture of that. Hopefully I can find a friend that has a better camera!

That's my progress thus far. I welcome any and all advice/ criticisms you all might have, I hope to learn as much as I can from this GB. Thanks for taking a look.

Thanks jrallman, I appreciate the kind words. I'm still not sure what markings to use. I would love to have Kozhedub's "white 27", but that's a very common scheme. I have markings for a machine supposedly flown by Dolgushin as a Lt. "white 63" which looks interesting. The La-7 flown by Maj. V.D. Lavrynyenkov in Eastern Prussia winter '44/'45 looks good too in my opinion. I welcome any opinions anyone might have on the subject.

Got a bit more done, here is the seat with the Eduard color PE harness:

seat005.jpg

This is the seat and the instrument panel. My apologies again about the poor pics.

seat008.jpg

I've finished the cockpit floor as well, I should get the fuselage halves together tomorrow and hopefully start on the landing gear. Have a great day all!

Hi,

nice to see another La-7. I donn't know what camouflage shall I suggest you. I think Kozedub and Dolgushin are really well known, but Lavrynyenkov is in my opinion little tedious. However I have only its camouflage scheme (not photo). I think the compromise is camouflage of Golovacev's or Sultan Amet Chan's mount. Both are interesting because of its badges on the mounts. I am curious about your choice. Nevertheless your builldings looks great, I think your kit will look nice in every scheme.

Best regards,

David

Edited by David Koktavý

Thanks for the input David and TF51GREGWISE, I appreciate it. I have a question for the group, can anyone guess as to the historical validity of the third a/c in the illustration, "white 63"? I know the national markings are probably incorrect, I am mostly wondering if it did exist and was indeed flown by Dolgushin as a Lt. Thanks for any input anyone might have.

am72036b.jpg

Hello all, here the small bit of progress I've managed. My spare time has evaporated lately, so it's been slow going. I have the main parts together, it's starting to resemble an airplane:

la-7assembly004.jpg

The cockpit is finished, aside from the gunsight and a little bit of dry-brushing:

la-7assembly002.jpg

Here is a view of the engine fitted in place:

la-7assembly009.jpg

And with the spinner assembly and forward cowl tacked in place. The gun ports suffer from a bit of mis-molding, so some minor fixing will be required. Gun tubes will also be fitted:

la-7assembly008.jpg

I think I am going to be fairly happy with the look of the open cooling vanes/flaps, a change of pace if nothing else. The main langing gear struts are assembled and ready, still needing wheels and weathering. The torque links and straps are PE from the Eduard set, the lower covers are from the Part PE set. I would have loved to use the upper covers from the Part PE set, but they have blisters like the La-5 covers. So, the upper covers are from the kit. Wire was used for the plumbing.

la-7assembly003.jpg

That's it, now begins the filling and sanding. Thanks all for looking.

Thanks to the Mikester and jrallman for the kind words, and to both of the Davids for their previous comments as well. I think I have finally decided on the livery for this model:

Lavrinenkov_La7.jpg

This was the machine flown by Vladimir Dmitrievich Lavrinenkov, CO of the 9th GvIAP in the spring of 1945. Of course, I may get all flaky again and change my mind a few more times :D

I would welcome any feedback regarding this livery, thanks.

Edited by ac4313

I am surprised. In MBI publication is totaly different color scheme. It is in only one grey on the uppersurfaces. The red color is only on the front part of the cowling and the arrow is white with red outline as well as the number 17. And the spinner is blue. Lavrinenkov propably flew more planes...???... or one of the schemes is wrong ..??... Unfortunately I have no evidence about my opinions. My previous comment concerned to MBI scheme. However I think your scheme looks more better. I like that.

Of course, I may get all flaky again and change my mind a few more times wacko.gif

I often enjoy thinking about the camouflage choice. You can change your decision till time when the model is ready for applying the colors :coolio:

I also must say, the details especially the cowling with engine looks incredible !!!

Edited by David Koktavý
I am surprised. In MBI publication is totaly different color scheme. It is in only one grey on the uppersurfaces. The red color is only on the front part of the cowling and the arrow is white with red outline as well as the number 17. And the spinner is blue. Lavrinenkov propably flew more planes...???... or one of the schemes is wrong ..??

I was confused about this at first as well. The scheme that you are referring to seems to be dated fall/winter 1944, this one is dated spring 1945. I can think of two possibilities;

First, the La-7 seems to have had a fairly short service life, due to the wing spar and engine. So, it could be a new-issue aircraft. Also, paint schemes seemed to be much more colorful and flamboyant in the last months of the war, as victory loomed on the horizon. I suppose the only people that would know for sure are Lavrinenkov and his mechanic. :cheers: Anyway, thanks for the positive comments, I appreciate that very much.

First, the La-7 seems to have had a fairly short service life, due to the wing spar and engine. So, it could be a new-issue aircraft. Also, paint schemes seemed to be much more colorful and flamboyant in the last months of the war, as victory loomed on the horizon. I suppose the only people that would know for sure are Lavrinenkov and his mechanic. biggrin.gif

I agree with your explanation :blink: . But I am afraid that Lavrinenkov or his mechanics don't remember camouflages. I believe that it is the last think about that they were interested in. I know one example about VVS colors on La-5 FN. It was believed that the colors were green/brown but the new revelation a few years ago proved to be propably in blue-grey colors. It is neverending discusion about VVS color shades, isn' t it. And at that time Gen. Frantisek Fajtl well known Czech veteran who flew La-FNs said that he don' t remember after approx. 50 years what colors had his mount. He concentrated on fight with Germans. What colourful aircraft, it doesn't matter.

Best regards,

David

Edited by David Koktavý

First of all, ac4313, you're doing a great job.

It will look wonderfull with it's red nose and red arrow.

As for the camo colours, the debate for the "correct" VVS colours had started 10 years ago. Compared to the Luftwaffe raging since, well 50 years ago the VVS debate is still young ;-)

The important thing is to have fun and being satisfied with the result.

All the best.

Jean

Thanks to klimmer and Apex for your comments, they are much appreciated. Thanks as well to David, you always have interesting information to share :D I totally agree with fun and personal satisfaction being the priority, I am having alot of fun participating in this build! Just a short update today, here are the filled and re-shaped gun ports:

la-7assembly015.jpg

And here with some tubing added for the guns. The usual apologies for the picture quality.

la-7assembly017.jpg

All of the filling and sanding is finished...

la-7assembly021.jpg

Masking and paint tomorrow! Thanks to all for looking.

Well, the vac canopy was destroyed in a freak masking accident, and I only had the one. :cheers:

I'm ordering a new one first thing in the morning, but I'm afraid that this build is going nowhere till I get the new one. Once I calmed down, I took the MPM Pe-2 that I was hoping to build off the pile. I gave it a test fit and then had to sit down and have a good cry. :wacko: Maybe I'll start the MiG-3 while I wait....

Hi,

very good progress again :banana::popcorn:

I don't understand what you mean exactly. Have you destroyed the whole clear part on the model or only sliding part ? If it is only sliding part, I think no problem to make new one. I sometimes have the same troubles or I want to make new one due to its thickness. In my Dolgushin's La-7 toppics you have little inspiration (see post 17) :coolio: It takes approximately half hour. However you can wait to get new one, of course. It would be nice to see Mig-3 in your presentation :wave:

Best regards,

David

Edited by David Koktavý

Okay, I managed to get a rough start on the paint. I am trying to come close to VVS colors, I don't have the WEM paints. Anyway, here is some preshading. Please ignore the goofy love note, my wife wouldn't leave me alone till I did it :blink:

La-7paint003.jpg

La-7paint002.jpg

I have only recently started using the preshading, I really like the effect it creates but am still having a hard time stopping with the overcoat before I have too much on. Oh well, practice makes perfect I suppose. ;)

La-7paint004.jpg

I think I got pretty close with my AMT-7 mix, the AMT-11 might be a little too light and the AMT-12 is a bit iffy on the model maybe.

La-7paint009.jpg

Here I have the camouflage pattern roughed in. I will go in and clean up the edges etc. I really enjoy freehand painting the rough pattern, but I make a bit of extra work for myself.

La-7paint011.jpg

And here it is with the initial red coat on the nose, looking a bit like a certain reindeer to me :crying2:

La-7paint014.jpg

So, that's the small bit of progress. Next will be the camo clean-up and postshading. Thanks all for looking.