Made a start, have a secondary deadline for this build. My club is doing a 60th Anniv USAF display, so I hope to get it done by early August when our display is sheduled.

Started on the cockpit. Not sure about the accuracy of the instruction colours but I will go with most of them. Cockpit sprayed grey ready for some dry brushing.

Also started assembling the drone. Again instructions say all over black but I seem to remember seeing one with natural metal sections so I might go this way to break up the colours a little.

One question, what colour is the gear well, stuts and doors (internal)? I seem to remember from another build (Hasegawa) the tyres were a gold colour, Is my recolection correct?

Cockpit.jpg

SR-71_1.jpg

:explode:

Good luck Ray! I need to do an SR-71 sometime.

As far as the wheel wells go, I don't believe they were gold. From what I remember of walking around Hill AFB's SR-71, they were white along with the struts, but I'll dig out my pics and double check.

EDIT: I just checked the SR-71 walkaround on ARC - the main gear struts were gray and the wells didn't appear to be white. I hope others can chime in on this.

Justin

Edited by Justin Davenport

Thanks Justin, I keep forgetting about the Walkarounds here on ARC :blink:

Looked at the pictures and the instructions callout aluminium for the struts and wheel wells. So that is the way I will go. I thought the tyres themselves were gold, from the picks they have a silver colour to them.

On with the build! :D

Thanks Justin, I keep forgetting about the Walkarounds here on ARC :blink:

Looked at the pictures and the instructions callout aluminium for the struts and wheel wells. So that is the way I will go. I thought the tyres themselves were gold, from the picks they have a silver colour to them.

On with the build! :D

SR71 tyres were impregnated with silver powder - to deflect heat. No idea how effective but all my model SR71s have silver whitewalls applied by gel pen.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished decalling, added the gear and just need to add the gear doors and give her a flat coat. On the downhill leg, should finish it tonight <_< The milky finish is from the Microsol reacting with the future I use to gloss it up. It disappeared when it had dried off.

SR-71Decalled.jpg