Well here are some pics, weather turned out to be super, best in months,lots of sun,cloud cover was fairly high, place was packed to almost bursting as the good weather ensured every person and his offspring descended on Fairford!

Sorry but the camera is only a Nikon 990, with a telefoto lens, nothing special, but hope it gives you some sense of what was there.

Enjoy! I certainly did :blink: ( and have a nice red face to show for it! )

L-159Alca.jpg

Hunter2-seatertrainer.jpg

Jaguar.jpg

Tornado.jpg

Tornado2.jpg

Nimrod.jpg

RedArrows.jpg

F-16.jpg

Awesome pictures! Thank you much for posting! Were the Thunderbirds there this year?

SLICK

Yep, they were and what a great display they did.

The Red Arrows too.

But the cream of the crop went to the Italian Tricoleres, they were just amazing! :blink:

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing! ;)

That Italian Tornado with the lynx is really cool! And the static Typhoon was well armed.

Anthony, the Apache is Dutch. The low-viz roundel looks really odd. That "Koninklijke Luchtmacht" means "Royal Air Force" in Dutch, if I'm not mistaken. Do the Apaches in the Netherlands belong to the Air Force or to the Army? G

But what kind of "pod" is that on the Apache's wing-tip?

Edited by ChernayaAkula

That's an Aero L-39 Albatros, which is actually a Czech plane, but used also by the Russian Air Force for training.

This one seems to be civilian-owned. I believe I saw a TV report on German TV on this very plane. I don't remember who bought it (IIRC a French man???) but I think it was an ex-GDR plane, restored by ex-GDR crew chiefs.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Like model madness, I went to RIAT yesterday, and I will almost certainly not be going again.

A queue of over 2 hours to cover the last few miles into the show (3 hours from leaving home to arriving, just over an hour to get home)

Car parks are a long way from the airfield - last time I went parking was on the airfield.

A shambolic static park - I remember those from the eighties where thee planes were lined up, not scattered willy nilly.

Vendors selling junk that was more suited to a car boot sale.

Most of the flight line facing the runway being taken up by grandstands and sponsors sites, leaving a small space for joe public.

A programme costing £8 (that's US$16 ) when a magazine that size would cost£5 tops in the shops - and their print run must have been bigger than most aviation magazines.

Before I am written off as an old misery, I used to go to IAT every year, starting when it was held in the early seventies in Greenham Common. I stopped going in 1990 due to family committments and rising costs,

and yesterdays show bore no comparison to the shows in the eighties.

And from talking there will be few model vendors there next time - the cost of the smallest pitch was £1250 and with staffing cost, etc, very fwew thought they would make a profit, which is why they go.

To finish on a positive note, I enjoyed the flying display.

I really like the pic of the in-flight C-130. It looks like it is suspended above the crowd on an invisible pole or something. Great shot. Looks to me like it would've been a great show to see in person. Especially having so many different national teams there together. I have only seen the Snowbirds, T-birds and Blues, but never all of them in the same show. Thank you for posting the pics!

Aaron

Got to see my fave the BBMF and the Spitfires flying :banana: . Nice evening display by the Spitfire on the friday jus as we were sitting down to a well earned beer and food before bed. Lol. Got stuck on saturday night which meant very late dinner, no beer :cheers: and a very early rise on sunday morning at 0500 (again) . Did I enjoy it? OF COURSE!!! :D

stevie

Who won the various display trophies this year? I hope one of them went to the Indian Su-30, so they will have to come back next year to defend their prize! :cheers: