"Eyes of Texas III" P-47D

I'd like to know - which paint have you used to wheel whells and wing interior? it's a yellow zinc chromate, right?

Yes, I used yellow zinc chromate. Are you building a T-bolt? If so, please do an in prog. I just love seeing models of this plane!

SLICK

the reason I've asked is that I wanted to know paint brand you use for the colour.

hopefully I'll be able to take some pics tomorrow of my T-bold (it's P-47-D-Re Razorback Capt. Gerald Johnson's "In the mood")

Ok, here goes the decal work! I started by downloading the fonts for WWII aircraft. Then I typed up what I needed and printed it multiple times in draft until I got the proper sizes. Hopefully tomorrow I can print it again on the decal paper.

Picture-near001.jpg

Picture-near002.jpg

Picture-near006.jpg

SLICK

Ok, some more decal updating. I've created a new "Eyes of Texas III" so that it looks more like the actual thing. It's blocky in MS Paint but in MS Word its not, and it doesn't print that way...just in case you were wondering. Basically you mess with the sizes and looks of what you want. Then you print...and print...and print again until everything fits right. Next I will be printing on decal paper. Updates soon!

eyesoftexas004.jpg

eyesoftexas005.jpg

eyesoftexas006.jpg

eyesoftexas007.jpg

REMEMBER TO TURN YOUR FAN OFF IF YOU ARE TEST FITTING SMALL PIECES!! :cheers:

SLICK

SLICK...

The P-47 is looking REALLY STUNNING.....I love the color scheme and the WWII VETERAN will absolutely enjoy the build and your work is AMAZING..... Keep posting SLICK and I cant wait to see the finished Model...BRILLIANT .....

HOLMES.... :) :)

Thanks for the complements guys!! I have finished putting most of the decals on the aircraft, but I'm at a stopping point because I am very busy with my studies and preparing to take exams and my check ride for my PPL. Once I do that on September 22 I hope to really get into finishing this model. Until then, it's a lot of small work.

SLICK

Ok, here are some pictures of what it looks like at the moment. I hope to do some mroe soon, but I'm not sure how that'll go.

I have a challenge for you guys. I made a mistake somewhere on the model, something that I'm not sure I will be able to fix. You can see it in a couple of the pictures but it's very apparent in one of them. I am still in shock as to how I made this mistake after countless studying and correcting, but I still screwed it up. Another hint, I don't think Les will notice it, but I do!! Kudos to the first person to figure it out!!

eyesoftexas004-1.jpg

eyesoftexas007-1.jpg

eyesoftexas008.jpg

SLICK

The fuselage invasion strips come up the side to far.....

Actually that's very close! They are up the right height, but they aren't long enough!! I measured so many times to get this right but I still made each invasion stripe just a tad too short and now it doesn't extend all the way to the end of the roundel. I couldn't believe it!! I checked it so many times but still got it wrong. I still can't seem to figure out where I made the mistake!! As far as the height of the stripes, I found a panel line that ran down the fuselage and was half way up the exit (I think it may be some sort of oil cooling exit for air flowing through...idk) Anyway, I compared that and I did get it correct with the actual photos and drawing, but I didn't get the length right even though I checked it over and over!! AHH! It makes me mad! Oh well, I hope he doesn't notice...

Edit: I know what you mean now by them being too high. I did find a -47 with the half invasion stripes low, but his for some reason came that far up. It's like they really got lazy with his stripes. They painted them in reverse order and they didn't feel like taking the correct amount of stripe off for the post D-day stripes. None the less, I think the story behind them is cool. Now only if I could make them the right length....

SLICK

Edited by slick95
Dude. If it were me I would rock on with it!!!! Its not that noticeable and like you said he probably won't notice!!

Oh ok...I guess I wont throw the model away. LOL! Yeah, I plan on continuing without changing it. I could try, but I think it would turn out to be more of a disaster than anything.

SLICK

The plane ROCKS! I don't think he'll notice that the stripes aren't wide enough. I doubt he'll even be looking at that. For future reference, I think the 10mm Tamiya tape is really, really close to 1/48th of the 18'' D-Day stripes.

And if you decide to start over on it, don't chuck it...there's always oven cleaner.

Edited by latormentabritanica