Got my FM Y-Wings today

Bought 3 (planning on doing a Death Star trench dio for them....someday)

3 marking options are included, one for each Gold flight bird. A nice touch on the decals is that the numerous scratches and chips seen on the cockpit area of Y-Wings are included as decals.

The parts breakdown is well thought out compared to the other kits in the line (I don't have the Falcon to compare it with), the cockpit is broken down as top/bottom, but the seam line is at the bottom of the sides, not the midpoint. (think if the top part being a U-shaped part and the bottom being flat)

The main fuselage is split top/bottom as well, the seam is hidden with more add-on parts, so it appears at this point that a minimal amount of seam work will be needed.

The nicest bit of engineering is on the engine pods, the pods are bare at first, then 4 panels are added for the surface detail, but now you've got 4 lengthwise seams in detailed areas to fix, now what?

Answer?

The 'stringers' that support the aft outriggers cover up the seams, brilliant! :unsure: :D

Nice little kit, well worth the wait.

Ken

PS: FM, where's my A-wing kit?

The X-wing kit offered a few different parts to represent variations in Rogue squadron, but the Y-wing kit has all 3 as being physically identical. I only have references for Gold 2 and 3, so I presume the kit matches the Gold Leader filming model? The main (only?) place to easily spot differences is the vertical "wall" on the back of the rear fuselage. Of course, there's presumably changes/repairs to the filming models over the years.

Anyone really knowledgable on Y-wings here to comment?

The X-wing kit offered a few different parts to represent variations in Rogue squadron, but the Y-wing kit has all 3 as being physically identical. I only have references for Gold 2 and 3, so I presume the kit matches the Gold Leader filming model? The main (only?) place to easily spot differences is the vertical "wall" on the back of the rear fuselage. Of course, there's presumably changes/repairs to the filming models over the years.

Anyone really knowledgable on Y-wings here to comment?

I'll be getting mine in a day or two as I have four coming (three from HLJ, one from SSM) and I am doing an inbox review of one for the SSM site as soon as I get my grubby paws on one. I'll scrutinize this model over pretty well when I get it to see which studio model it matches, but I think I know which one it will be as there is one specific Y-Wing that has had the most publicity photos taken of it.

Ordered mine from Starship Modeler. Hopefully will be here today when I get up for work. Finally broke down and ordered FM Millennium Falcon and Slave 1 Boba Fett version as well. Very OUCH for the wallet.

KiowaFixer

Edited by kiowafixer
PS: FM, where's my A-wing kit?

Thanks for that Ken. I'm getting mine next. Has anyone noticed that when Fine Molds released the X-Wing, everyone wanted a Tie. Then a the Tie comes out and people scream for a Falcon. Then the call came out for the Y-Wing. What I want is a 1/72 Imperial Cruiser. Oh baby...! :banana:

Randy

Thanks for that Ken. I'm getting mine next. Has anyone noticed that when Fine Molds released the X-Wing, everyone wanted a Tie. Then a the Tie comes out and people scream for a Falcon. Then the call came out for the Y-Wing. What I want is a 1/72 Imperial Cruiser. Oh baby...! :banana:

Randy

I dunno about an Imperial Cruiser, but how about a Star Destroyer or one of the massive Rebel ships from the Battle for Endor.

All recieved Saturday. The FM Falcon must be seen to be appreciated, even after seeing all the reviews, post, and photos I was still like "WOW!" when I opened the box. A 72nd "A-wing" would probably be smaller then the Jedi Starfighter and to me that is small. How about a "B-wing" first?

KiowaFixer

This kit, in spite of the 120+ parts is a breeze to build. My only advice - follow the instructions. I didn't in a couple of places and had some fun with the fit which would not have happened if I'd followed them.

Did anyone else notice the images of the T-47 Snowspeeder and B-Wing on the instruction sheet? Signs of things to come perhaps?

Here she is after about an hour and a half of work (including painting and finishing of the cockpit intrerior). Since this image I've finished all the pipework, which is VERY easy to clean up and fits beautifully (unlike the Millennium Falcon), and just have the engive vectors to fit (the long trailing arms behind the engine nacelles).

1.jpg

I'm kinda bummed. I recieved my shipping notice on the 12th, but I am still waiting. I'm in California, so you would think it would be here already. Unfortunately HLJ wants you to wait double the longest time they expect before filing a claim.

This would be the first problem I have had with shipping from HLJ. Oh well. I can live vicariously thru you guys until it shows up.

I'm kinda bummed. I recieved my shipping notice on the 12th, but I am still waiting. I'm in California, so you would think it would be here already. Unfortunately HLJ wants you to wait double the longest time they expect before filing a claim.

This would be the first problem I have had with shipping from HLJ. Oh well. I can live vicariously thru you guys until it shows up.

Good, I am not in a unique situation then as my own three Y-Wings from HLJ also shipped on the 12th and I have yet to see them. I am guessing the kits got held up in customs or something as it is possible for that to occur. But I've never seen it happen before to my orders as I normally get my stuff shipped via SAL small pack in a little over a week. Be patient man, I am sure they are coming (hopefully this week) along with mine.

As for the B-Wing and Snowspeeder images in the instructions, those are just visual illustrations to go with the Japanese text history of the Y-Wing as used in the Star Wars universe. The text essentially says that some Y-Wing parts ended up being used in the snowspeeders and the B-Wing was the intended replacement for the Y-Wing in the rebel forces. They have no bearing on what HLJ decides to do or not do next as far as kits go and they've been doing that since the X-Wing kit came out (it had the Y-Wing, B-Wing and A-Wing illustrated in that history section, and today we finally got a Y-Wing).

Concerning the decal paintjobs, the markings are very much based on the three main Y-Wing studio models that have been pictured in various publications over the years. In some spots they replicated the burn and blast patterns on the decal sheet! :P

I received my email notice on July 13, but still no show.

I keep waiting, but I haven't had this long of a wait

from HLJ before.

Usually it's been about 10 days, but for some reason this

is taking longer than I thought it would.

Btw, I'm in CA also.

Jim

Edited by JimC