Yup...

I painted the green last week:

Helldiver.jpg

I spent most of last week on other projects, but I did nibble away at this-painting the crew and the simple details in the cockpit. Sunday night, I was here:

Helldiver001.jpg

Helldiver003.jpg

Cruisin' right along, and rather pleased with the way it's turning out. I took this to work today, to clean the seams on my breaks and hoped to post good progress pics tonight. But while it sat in the car today (with a Tamiya A-10A next to it on the seat):

Helldiver005.jpg

Helldiver007.jpg

It melted. I haven't had this happen sine I was maybe 10 years old, hoping the heater would speed glue drying on a 1/72 PBY-5A. The A-10A is unphased.

:D

:unsure:

:D

Dammit. Cheap crappy old Monogram plastic.

I could straighten the tail, but the warping on the fuselage side is too much to be worth my while.

So, this one is scrubbed. I'll replace it with the latest Revell release of the old Monogram F4U-4 kit, courtesy of Wal-Mart and a whopping $7.97.

Ken (aka Darth Irritated)

Well, this just means I still haven't build the original Monogram Helldiver. Which is OK I guess-the Pro Modeler release makes for a pretty nice build :pray:

Ken

For future reference: I did some experimenting styrene and found that it begins getting soft around 150-160 degrees and begins melting around 170. The inside of a car sitting in the summer sun can easily hit these temperatures.

Having said that, there is no need to "speed dry" typical hobby glues. Liquid glues like Testors, Tamiya, Tenax, etc. should be applied with a fine brush or applicator. The chemically-melted styrene should be touchable in an about 30 minutes or less and fully set in a couple of hours.

Hope this helps with future builds.

Well, this just means I still haven't build the original Monogram Helldiver. Which is OK I guess-the Pro Modeler release makes for a pretty nice build :whistle:

Ken

Here's a link for reference & states the drying times faster than I had posted earlier.

http://www.californiamodelworkshop.org/tut...s/glue/glue.htm

For future reference: I did some experimenting styrene and found that it begins getting soft around 150-160 degrees and begins melting around 170. The inside of a car sitting in the summer sun can easily hit these temperatures.

Having said that, there is no need to "speed dry" typical hobby glues. Liquid glues like Testors, Tamiya, Tenax, etc. should be applied with a fine brush or applicator. The chemically-melted styrene should be touchable in an about 30 minutes or less and fully set in a couple of hours.

Hope this helps with future builds.

Well, now, I wasn't exactly trying to "speed dry" glue-the PBY incident happened when I was but a child, some 33 years ago. I take all my fastidious sanding to work to deal with on my break time, and it sits in the car until I get to it. The bit that bites is that my Tamiya A-10A project was sitting right next to it on the seat and it's unphased.

Besides, the girlfriend counted 18 on the bench right now-I'm not in a hurry to finish one...

:P

Ken