Found this in a Wal-Mart on my vacation:

F4U-4001.jpg

Did the paint at work today:

F4U-4002.jpg

It's the old Monogram molds, released by Revell. Folding wings, retractable landing gear with hinged doors. They added a bit of a cockpit too, and it's pretty obvious by the sprues-check out the way the instrument panel looks like an afterthought:

F4U-4.jpg

I doubt this one will melt in the car...

Ken

Not much progress to date-been catching up on some long neglected projects before they back up too much. Got most of the subassemblies done:

F4U-4003.jpg

I strayed from the instructions a bit-I mounted the wing fold hinges to the outer sections instead of the center section. I believe this'll make clean-up easier.

Ken

Looks real good so far ken!

I'm a pretty much exclusive Monogram builder at the moment and I love the Corsair (was tearing up the skies in one last night while playing Aces High!). So, needless to say, I am watching your progres with earnest!

Thanks for posting!

David

Thank you David. Gotta tell ya-yours is looking pretty sharp for being out of the hobby as long as you were :o

Little progress to report. The center section is together. The retracts don't quite snap into the up position without a little help from (at the moment) a pair of tweezers inside the opening in the end. However, everything else is working pretty good after some cleanup. What else-the air intakes in the leading edge were sloppy fits, trailing edges are pretty thick, and the fit on the fuselage halves show the mold's age-relatively good alignment, but pretty shaky on top between the nose and windshield:

F4U-4004.jpg

Hoping I can paint this beastie Monday and have it finished by August.

Ken

Coming together nicely!

On this kit the framing is moulded in place. How is the clear to frame fit?

<_<

MikeJ

Hi All,

New to forum. I can answer the question about the canopy. After totally screwing up my first canopy on my RTM(return to modelling) Revell Corsair, I bought another and was determined to correct my mistakes. Other than the landing gears, which fit o.k. but take 3 hands to assemble, and the afore-mentioned wing air ducts, which took the most filler, the canopy presented the biggest challenge. Ken, I found it easier on my second kit to glue the clear to one half of the fuselage before putting them together. Since you have already glued both halves together, it`s a mute point. I`m sure you`ll figure something out. An experienced modeller shouldn`t have too much trouble with it, it`s just that Revell could have done a better job with the canopy frame halves fitting together.

If I knew how to insert images, I would show a few pics of my completed model. Help?

George

George

Best place for pics is the Inspiration Gallery thread or in this thread. To do this you need an image posting account for link images using the {img]link{/img} format (replace the curley brackets with square ones).

welcome to ARC!

:salute:

MikeJ

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress to report:

F4U-4005.jpg

F4U-4006.jpg

F4U-4007.jpg

I went the same way Damo did with his Mustang build and lost the panel lines. The way this fit together, it was a whole lot less trouble than trying to replace what was sanded away. Changing assembly procedure on the wings worked out well too, and as you can see everything works even if it's not entirely ideal. The front gear doors tend to fall off, the tailwheel collapses under the weight and the tailhook falls off. The wingfold has some rather ugly gaps too. And the right wing doesn't quite go up as far as it should.

And no, I haven't tried the canopies yet-I finally dipped them in Future this afternoon, so they'll go on sometime this week.

Gettin' close to paint... :thumbsup:

Ken

Ken

It is looking good so far. Shaving the panel lines off will work well I reckon.

I am currently tackling the old 1:72 tigercat as a seam pop running 2/3 of one side of the B1-B has almost killed any interest at current.

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Blown seams are decidedly not cool.

This one's going on the back burner for awhile too. I fitted the canopy pieces last night. The hood snapped in pretty easily-tuck the top rear under the overhang and push until it snaps into place. Takes a leap of faith, but it slipped in easy enough. However, the fit is crap-even worse on the windscreen:

F4U-4009.jpg

This one's on hold. I have a couple from The Naughty Closet that I've been sitting on for a year and a half that I can have done this weekend. It would be nice to take the time to get them finished and out of my face/space. The shame is one of them is the Monogram ME-109 (G-10) that was on hiatus for lack of a color scheme and would've qualified for this build...

Ken

Aw! got my hopes down, i really liked this Progress! (I wanted to buy this model next time i went to texas,but the clear molds bring my hopes down)

Are you going to try and vac-u-form the canopy Wyman?

That unfortunately is outside the GB guidelines.

That is a real blow. Can you glue fill n sand smooth then polish?

:shoot:

MikeJ

Yeah, I'll have to try something like that. The bottom of the windscreen almost looks like it's molded for a different kit, but the real problem is the frame on top is so tall there's a gap above the clear part. I think I'll have to take some material out of the frame join and squeeze it together to shorten it up and drop it down. The hood isn't so bad-I could probably apply a bit of heat to the gray styrene on the back and make it lay down. Then-sand and polish.

Lotta trouble for an $8 kit :D But, for a non-Group Build build I would think that sanding the molded frames off the fuselage half and replacing the mess with a vac canopy might just be the ticket :shoot:

Ken

Yeah, I'll have to try something like that. The bottom of the windscreen almost looks like it's molded for a different kit, but the real problem is the frame on top is so tall there's a gap above the clear part. I think I'll have to take some material out of the frame join and squeeze it together to shorten it up and drop it down. The hood isn't so bad-I could probably apply a bit of heat to the gray styrene on the back and make it lay down. Then-sand and polish.

Lotta trouble for an $8 kit :D But, for a non-Group Build build I would think that sanding the molded frames off the fuselage half and replacing the mess with a vac canopy might just be the ticket :shoot:

Ken

Ken

I did that with the old Airfix Comet Racer. Sanded it to hell and back then put some elbow grease into polishing smooth. I used red decal strips bedded in Future for framing. It worked well and looks much better.

:lol:

MikeJ

• 1 month later...

Well, with the EFGB wrapped up and the Med Build on the bench I figure I better knock this one out. Not much I could do in the end to clean up the canopy (mis)fit mess:

F4U-4014.jpg

I built up the cowl where the windscreen mounts and it raised it enough to clean up the gap under the frame. I was able to sand the frame down a bit to make it close to flush. The canopy however was a different story. It seems to have been short shot in the way it fit-short of replacing it, I just filled the gap on the right side and called it close enough. Certainly not show quality, but the nephew won't notice as he trashes it in his sandbox :)

Mask it, clean it up and spray some GSB this week.

Ken

And I'm calling it done. I did what I could to resolve the canopy issue but it sure seems like the clear sprue was short-shot overall:

F4U-4020.jpg

Not only that, but the wings don't quite line up when folded:

F4U-4017.jpg

But once I got done with the decals, I decided it looked too good to put a finish coat on it. The cowl is still glossy, but I like the overall look and I didn't want to take any chances of loosing that:

F4U-4019.jpg

And that's it. I'm working on the ME-109E now, just to get it done, but it's not eligible. And I may just slap that Helldiver together and send it to my nephew anyway-he won't care too much...

Ken