1/72 F4U-1 early birdcage VF-17 Tamiya

Here's what I wanted:

earlybirdcages.jpg

And here's what I managed to do:

F4U-1earlya.jpg

Tamiya 1/72. Used an extra section of open cowl ring to make the 360-deg wraparound cowl flaps (Thanks for the parts, Chuck1945!!! :coolio: ). Also made transparent wingtip lights with colored bulbs deep inside, completely detailed the tailwheel well and tailwheel assembly, used a TD seat and extended the belts to hang over the scratchbuilt seat frame, wired the engine, put brake lines on the main gear, and scratchbuilt the tiny bomb racks.

Notice the "25" appears to be two 5's, with the stencil of one of them inverted and reversed to make a crude 2. Had to trim the 5's (all 4 of them!) to get the right look. Then mask with lo-tac tape to do the white overspray seen in the photo.

F4U-1earlyb.jpg

F4U-1earlyc.jpg

F4U-1earlyd.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Andrew, that is one beautiful Corsair, it does look like a much larger scale than 1:72nd ! Love the "overspray" detail, most would have overlooked that detail ... Congratulations on a marvelous build !

Gregg

What can I say that hasn't already been said by everyone else as impressed as I am? Superb. One of the most realistic weathering jobs I've seen in a good long time. Thank you for sharing.

.... about the colours: the camera white-balance seems a bit off?

You mean on the undersides? That's gull gray....it was the three-tone schemes that had white on the bottom. :nanner:

Klimmer, the upper surfaces are MM Navy Blue Gray, then made a thin mix of same with Light Ghost Gray to lighten it, and went back and sunbleached the panels, but nto much along the panel lines. Then masked the fabric-covered areas and gave a couple extra light coats there. Then a watercolor sludge wash, which was repeated several times on the cowl/nose area.

Thanks, everyone, for the extremely kind comments! :banana:

Most kind, thanks! Yep, that's the effect I was after, Mike...as near as I can tell, these were temp airframes to get the squadron into the aircraft pending delivery of their late-birdcages with the bulged canopy and the tricolor paint scheme. Figure they were probably castoffs from returning Marines Corps squadrons following a tour of duty, probably.

I really need to pose the question to a new friend of mine, who is friends with VF-17 ace Mel Kurlander.... :coolio: