Revell CL 604 Challenger

After buying this kit off Aussie747 on eBay earlier this year, and discussing with Tony P the possibility of doing concurrent builds, I've finally made a start on it. I started it about a week ago, and at this rate I'll probably have it finished in another week, which is unheard of for me!

The first shot's a bit blurry unfortunately:

rdevR2.jpg

This kit has its fit problems, but nothing insurmountable. You can see in this shot where I've applied putty to the underside:

NqijHS.jpg

So there ya go Tony. Your turn!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Hi John,

I haven't quite decided yet, but it will be one of the options in the box - I'm leaning towards the Cirrus Aviation option for something different, but will change my mind several times before the end!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev
Nergol said:
Once Jimbo gets back from hin $@#&%$ vacation, I plan to buy the JBOT WWE/WWF markings for it... way cool!

Interesting - do you have a link so we can check it out?

Kev

Edited by Big Kev
Aussie747 said:
Kev,

try this link, Jimbo has a nice range of Alps printed decals.

Just click on the Canadair link to expand this listing.

Thanks Ray. That Challenger scheme is very cool. There's some cool stuff on that site all-round!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

A quick update. I've been experimenting with BMF for the engine exhausts, and I think it came out quite well. Unfortunately the photo makes it look quite awful:

U6vjn5.jpg

Of course, I haven't painted the rest of the engine mount yet, so now I have to mask the foil somehow! I tried low tack tape, applied to the Mk.1 forehead first, but it didn't conform well to the part's shape, and still lifted the foil when I tested it. I'm resorting to using a liquid mask and well see how that goes. Why do these things always seem more difficult for me than anyone else? ;)

Here's the current status of the main airframe:

LqorfQ.jpg

The cockpit windscreen has been fitted, and I've done as much puttying and sanding as I'm prepared to do!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

I used BMF on my Challenger as well. I just put it on after the whole engine assembly was built/painted. It worked out really well. Here's a picture:

CL-600412sqdrearquarter.jpg

Can't wait to see yours finished!

John

John King said:
I used BMF on my Challenger as well. I just put it on after the whole engine assembly was built/painted. It worked out really well. Here's a picture:

CL-600412sqdrearquarter.jpg

Can't wait to see yours finished!

John

Nice job John! I considered putting the foil on later in the build, but as I hadn't used it before, I wasn't sure how fiddly it would be, and whether it might be impractical to do it that way. It certainly helped being able to burnish it down thoroughly on all sides as a separate piece, but next time I'll try doing it last.

I've currently got one engine pod glued to the fuselage, and I'll attach the other one when this one has a firm enough grip.

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Hi Kev,

Looks the goods. Like the BMF for the engines. I'm going to try alclad on mine once I get around to it. Still haven't touched it for a few months so I dare say you'll get yours finished before mine.

Tonyp

Tony P said:
Hi Kev,

Looks the goods. Like the BMF for the engines. I'm going to try alclad on mine once I get around to it. Still haven't touched it for a few months so I dare say you'll get yours finished before mine.

Tonyp

Thanks Tony. I'm hoping to polish it off fairly quickly, as I'm in the middle of another long-running build and I don't want this to turn into another one!

Here's a shot of the whole thing assembled, waiting for me to mask the windscreen so I can start painting:

77Snd6.jpg

You can see the effect of the BMF better here than in previous shots. Both foiled engines are actually coated with a clear liquid mask, but I suspect I'm going to have problems. For a start, when your liquid mask is clear (kinda snot-coloured actually), it's nearly impossible to tell if you have adequate coverage. The other concern is that the stuff is water soluble, and I'm not sure it'll stand up to the Tamiya lacquer spray paints I'll be pointing at it. I guess at worst I'll be removing Tamiya Pure White from the BMF with lacquer thinners and a cotton bud. I can't see minute amounts of lacquer thinner harming the BMF.

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Here I was thinking that this would be a quick build, but I've taken long enough between posts to be pushed back to page 4! I'm not far away now however (I hate masking canopies, so I procrastinated over this step, but got there in the end). She's fully primed with a couple of coats of Mr Surfacer:

33DgrK.jpg

The instructions call for silver windscreen frames, but I've decided to leave them Mr Surfacer grey, so I'll mask the entire area again before the white goes on. If it doesn't look right, then I guess I'm up for more tedious masking.

What do you guys who are more familiar with this aircraft reckon - will I get away with that grey as an alternative to 'silver' for the windscreen frames?

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Well, I've spent the day attempting to apply successive mist coats of Tamiya TS-26 Pure White out of a rattle can. In my case, rattle can't.

It's a good paint, but I just can't seem to master it out of the rattle can, and have had the same trouble with it as when I built the Caravelle - inconsistent coverage with runs and patches everywhere. An additional problem that I didn't have with the Caravelle is the tendency for the paint to creep back from sharp edges, such as engraved detail. So, the panel lines themselves are filling up with white paint, while remaining translucent either side of them. By the time I've achieved even coverage there'll be no surface detail. :angry:

Anyway, I don't think I'll use it again - at least, not a small model like this. Perhaps it'll be more useful on my Concorde when I get to it. Aussie747 uses Tamiya XF-2 flat white, so I'll give that a try next. What does everybody else use as their default 'airliner white'?

Kev

Edited by Big Kev
Well, I've spent the day attempting to apply successive mist coats of Tamiya TS-26 Pure White out of a rattle can. In my case, rattle can't. :blink:

It's a good paint, but I just can't seem to master it out of the rattle can, and have had the same trouble with it as when I built the Caravelle - inconsistent coverage with runs and patches everywhere. An additional problem that I didn't have with the Caravelle is the tendency for the paint to creep back from sharp edges, such as engraved detail. So, the panel lines themselves are filling up with white paint, while remaining translucent either side of them. By the time I've achieved even coverage there'll be no surface detail. :pray:

Anyway, I don't think I'll use it again - at least, not a small model like this. Perhaps it'll be more useful on my Concorde when I get to it. Aussie747 uses Tamiya XF-2 flat white, so I'll give that a try next. What does everybody else use as their default 'airliner white'?

Kev

While I've never done civi aircraft I can say one thing about rattle cans and that is flat is always easier than golss! Some of the car guys swear by 2 mist coats followed by a much wetter coat with the gloss paints but then they aren't dealing with as many surface details like rivets and panel lines. I'd sya when in doubt use flat and then gloss it up with Future...

RookieLSP said:
While I've never done civi aircraft I can say one thing about rattle cans and that is flat is always easier than golss! Some of the car guys swear by 2 mist coats followed by a much wetter coat with the gloss paints but then they aren't dealing with as many surface details like rivets and panel lines. I'd sya when in doubt use flat and then gloss it up with Future...

You're definitely right Dave, no doubt about it. I've never had this trouble with Mr Surfacer out of a rattle can (my feet are both firmly in the 'miracle product' camp!), but it dries with a subtle satin sheen, definitely not gloss. Also, the weather here in Melbourne lately hasn't been conducive to spraying (cold and damp), and would be even more of a problem for gloss paints - and I have to use the spray bombs outside. It's a shame, because the brilliant white lustre of the Tamiya paint is hard to beat, but for me, no longer worth the hassle. I'm sure it's partly user error too, as I've failed in all attempts so far to deliver what I'd call a 'mist coat'. :yahoo:

I've heard good things about Floquil Reefer White, but I'm not sure if it's readily available here.

Kev

Edited by Big Kev
John King said:
Kev,

I use Krylon flat white for my airliners. Just my 2 cents.

John

Thanks John - happy to hear all suggestions and alternatives!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

If you want an airbrushable white, go with Polly Scale Reefer White, best stuff there is....in terms of white. I can usually just pour it into the airbrush cup, couple drops of MM Acryl thinner, and at 15-20PSI it airbrushes real nice.

AnthonyWan said:
If you want an airbrushable white, go with Polly Scale Reefer White, best stuff there is....in terms of white. I can usually just pour it into the airbrush cup, couple drops of MM Acryl thinner, and at 15-20PSI it airbrushes real nice.

Thanks Anthony - it sounds like I'm getting confused between Floquil and Polly Scale here (unless both brands make this colour - ?). Is it an acrylic? I'm assuming so if you thin it with Acryl thinner. The question is, is it readily available in Australia?

Kev

Edited by Big Kev
Thanks Anthony - it sounds like I'm getting confused between Floquil and Polly Scale here (unless both brands make this colour - ?). Is it an acrylic? I'm assuming so if you thin it with Acryl thinner. The question is, is it readily available in Australia?

Kev

Polly Scale and Floquil are the same thing, and both are made by Testor's. Not sure if you can get them down under though. I tried to see on the Testor's site under dealer locator and it had the UK listed as an available country but not AU.

Polly Scale and Floquil are the same thing, and both are made by Testor's. Not sure if you can get them down under though. I tried to see on the Testor's site under dealer locator and it had the UK listed as an available country but not AU.

There is a retailer here in Canberra that stocks Floquil, He does have a lot of Rail Roading stuff so thats why I think the Floquil was on sale there. I am not sure about his stocks of white though, they are slowly getting diminshed.

Thanks for the paint suggestions everyone. Looks like I'll have to track down some Floquil/Polly Scale Reefer White. In the meantime I'll go with Tamiya XF-2. Too late for the Challenger though! I'm going to see the build through with the Tamiya paint, as I've already finished the engine pods with it.

I've managed to mend most of the drips and runs, but probably won't be able to apply any more coats until the weekend. I might even try decanting some for airbrushing, but my spidey sense tells me don't go there. Would make things easier though.

Kev

Edited by Big Kev