I was in Helena (MT) last week for some training and saw this F-89 Scorpion out off a taxi way. It has markings for the MT ANG.

I wanted to know if this is a C or a J version. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joel

F-89_2.jpg

I'm pretty sure that it isn't a C model, it is likely a J. I don't see any cannon ports (and the C had six 20mm cannon in the nose) so it definitely isn't a C.

Edited by JasonW

Looks like a J model to me.

The A/B/C versions all had gun armament and a smaller, more pointed nose. The D had larger wing tip tanks with Folding Fin rockets in the front, and the H had the same large tanks but a pointed front end with Falcon missiles in compartments on the sides.

That leaves us with the J model. Back to smaller tanks but with the larger nose with no guns.

The 186th FIS (Montana Air National Guard) Flew the F-89J Scorpion from March, 1960 until converting to F-102s in July, 1966

Not many of them around still, good to see they kept one.

Norm

Great find. I was in Great Falls a while back and they have aircraft at the base and the main park in the center of town and the perimeter drive around the airport. Lots of history here in the Big Sky where air defense is concerned.

Thanks guys for the help in determining what version.

ipms33206 Posted Today, 02:36 PM

Great find. I was in Great Falls a while back and they have aircraft at the base and the main park in the center of town and the perimeter drive around the airport. Lots of history here in the Big Sky where air defense is concerned.

I have not been to Great Falls for some time now. I agree there is a lot of history there.

Joel

When I was stationed at Ft. Drum NY during 1988-1989 there was the front half of an F-89 sitting inside a fenced in area on the bombing range the Air Forced used there. I saw it only a few times while there and I don't know which version it was. I assum they had uesd it as a target for the range at one time.

The one in Helena is just sitting there along with a C-121 and I think there was another plane or 2. Used to see them all the time when I traveled from MSU back home to Great Falls.

There are several birds in GF. If I remember a F-89 gate guard and F-86 up at the Airport (ANG base is there). A 102 in a park off 10th Ave and there is a small museum at Malmstrom. Got a Voodoo, B-25, EB-57, KC-97, Minuteman and F-84F. Also a bunch of models done by members of the IPMS club that used to be there.

I haven't been through Great Falls in two years but when I was there in the Summer of 2005 this is what they had on display just at the top of the exit ramp to the airport. Of course the F-106 is my favorite display!

Mark

100_0344.jpg

100_0337.jpg