AV-22 Gunship Progress Report

Alright, I don't want to seem like I'm ALL talk when it comes to modeling, so here are some update pics of my current project. It's one that has been on (and off ) my bench for a couple of years now and its getting close to completion.

My AV-22 gunship:

The guns.

IMG_2341.jpg

The interior.

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

Exterior view.

IMG_2336.jpg

A little background for those who haven't heard me talk about this project; it's a Spectre/Spooky style gunship for CAS support based on the Osprey. It's not a replacement for the AC-130 (Gosh, no!), just a complimentary player that could operate from amphibs in support of Marine operations.

Enjoy!

I've got the flexible ammo feeds for the guns and some wiring to add to the interior and then I'm closing it up and putting it together.

Hey, Trigger (or anyone else, for that matter), if you have any paint schemes, I'd love to see/hear some suggestions!

Hey, Trigger (or anyone else, for that matter), if you have any paint schemes, I'd love to see/hear some suggestions!

Not real sexy but I would think it would follow the current grey scheme. I think the unit would be VMMA-XXX.

Edited by Tank

Looking real good Lem! I do have one question - will the prop/rotor disc clear the forward gun and that box-shaped device on the forward fuselage?

Let me get back to you on that.

Edited by Trigger
Looking real good Lem! I do have one question - will the prop/rotor disc clear the forward gun and that box-shaped device on the forward fuselage?

Let me get back to you on that.

Remember, the proprotor ARC is only 11 inches away from the fuselage. Also, remove the AVR-2A sensors from the forward and aft sides of the fuselage, they got rid of those.

Way Cool! BTW

Edited by SteveV22FE

Alright, I don't want to seem like I'm ALL talk when it comes to modeling, so here are some update pics of my current project. It's one that has been on (and off ) my bench for a couple of years now and its getting close to completion.

My AV-22 gunship:

Exterior view.

IMG_2336.jpg

That hole on the forward part of the sponson is a main fuel tank on the real aircraft, just FYI

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Hey Lemon Jello,

Nice job!!! I really do build models to, I always promise photos, but somehow never get around to posting them. I wish I was a little more faithful.

-Jake

Edited by LITTLE BIRD 117

I may have to rethink the LLTV setup that will go in the box forward of the guns. Everything else should work. I mocked it all up when I first started this project to see just how far forward the guns could go. That's one of the reasons that the operator's station is just behind the cockpit, too. Maybe I'll move the LLTV back near the ramp instead.

That hole in the sponson will eventually have a FLIR-type ball turret sitting in it. I don't think it'll affect mission range. :D

I was thinking of going "retro" and making it black undersides up to the wings, with some type of camo on top...maybe digi/maybe not. I'm definitely open to any and all ideas.

A few more update photos. Just about to the point of closing it all up and getting on to the last stage of painting and final assembly.

Interior with paint and added details. Still have the ammo feeds and some wiring to add. It's getting to be some tight quarters in there!

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

I may actually get this one done this year!

Wow! That interior looks awesome! I don't know if this was the type of paint scheme you were looking for, but I figured if it looks that great on a YF-23, maybe it'll look just as great on an AV-22.

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/mod/us/ewaldf23.htm

EDIT: Wow, my first post in the Helicopter forum.

Edited by illithid00

OK Lem, here's what I've thrown together....

"Silver Bullet" Scheme

Based on the MV-22Bs evaluating the shiny finish, the FS Colors are approximate on this one, but for building purposes, grab a couple of rattle cans from Auto Zone to make this scheme

AV-22_03.jpg

Harrier Scheme

AV-22_01.jpg

Harrier Scheme Variant

AV-22_04.jpg

Dark Bronco Scheme

Based on the NOGS Bronco prototype as well as some F/A-18s (VFA-146, VFA-97) and SF-60F/HH-60Hs

AV-22_02.jpg

Thanks to GINge! and Trigger for the excellent ideas. I'm thinking that the yellow/red markings will be making a future appearance on another Osprey I build (I know there will be several more done in various configurations). I'm leaning toward Trigger's Dark Bronco scheme for my gunship, but no final decision is made.

I'm still considering a black-green from just below the wing with either a version of MARPAT or SEA camo on the top surfaces.

I'll be filing all of these away for inspiration and reference.

That last desert version of GINge!'s would be cool, though, wouldn't it?

Edited by LemonJello
Lemon,

Loving the build. Working on my own V-22, unofficially known as a HV-22B, in USCG markings. I was thinking of the current HC-130 scheme or maybe a variation on the HH-60J scheme.

I've had it in my head to build a V-22 in USCG markings as well. I think it'd be a real eye-catcher dressed in one of their schemes. If you have pics, please share!

I guess I need to find a Hobby Lobby 1/2 off coupon/sale and hope they've got a stack of Osprey kits I can grab up at a song.

No updates to post as I've packed the Family LemonJello up and we've been visiting the family for the last week. One more week to go and then I'll be able to get back in front of the bench and get some more done.

I still haven't finalized what paint scheme I want to do this one up in, so many good suggestions have been made.

Thanks for the interest in this project!

Oh, I picked up another 1/48 Osprey (Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon), so I can either do a battle taxi, or perhaps a USCG SAR version sometime in the future. If they had had more than one kit on the shelves, I would have grabbed them up, too!