AV-22 Gunship Progress Report

• 2 weeks later...
That's one cool conversion!

Could you please tell us how you made the flexible ammo chutes?

Cheers from Germany!

Jan

I can't take credit for the ammo chutes, they were part of an AM set that I had bought. I believe it was a Cutting Edge weapons set originally meant for a MH-60 PaveHawk. It came with 2 metal (but still flexible) chutes and 2 soft vinyl or rubber chutes.

• 2 months later...

Well, no update photos, though I hope to have some posted later this weekend. But I was daydreaming when an idea for some nose art hit me. I'm naming this beast "BOHICA".

That's right: Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.

That was a phrase we used to use just about every time there was a change to "the plan" for whatever exercise we were doing. Because we knew to brace for impact. Our company took to calling ourselves "the Last of the Bohicans" it happened so much.

Now I need to find some suitably inappropriate pin-up art of the female form and figure out how to make some decals.

• 6 months later...

It's been a while, but I've gotten some work in on this project. She's a little closer to actually sitting on the shelf in my office.

On to the photos, and comments are welcome:

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

I just may actually get this phoenix-like build done this year!

Outstanding......how did you do the digi camo?

It's nothing fancy, just time consuming; all you need is a sharp #11 blade, a straightedge and masking tape. I sprayed the lightest color and let it cure, then start randomly putting squares/rectangles of tape, trying to keep everything more or less aligned/oriented along the long axis of the plane. Then it's just lather, rinse, repeat for the successive colors. This is my 3rd attempt with MARPAT, and I think it turned out the best by far.

Tonight I hope to get the nacelles and rotors mounted. I'm thinking that some 5 minute epoxy is going to be needed for that join.

It's nothing fancy, just time consuming; all you need is a sharp #11 blade, a straightedge and masking tape. I sprayed the lightest color and let it cure, then start randomly putting squares/rectangles of tape, trying to keep everything more or less aligned/oriented along the long axis of the plane. Then it's just lather, rinse, repeat for the successive colors. This is my 3rd attempt with MARPAT, and I think it turned out the best by far.

Tonight I hope to get the nacelles and rotors mounted. I'm thinking that some 5 minute epoxy is going to be needed for that join.

holy crap...if I need that I will just give you call and I will just field day a 50cal or two instead....sound good to you?

holy crap...if I need that I will just give you call and I will just field day a 50cal or two instead....sound good to you?

Sure, no problem. Just expect it to take a month or so, mostly because I'll get sidetracked with other things and it'll sit on the bench for a long time. This build has been going on for years, and I'm just now getting near the finish line...