125 FS Tulsa Viper

Hi all,

Am currently building a 1/48 Tulsa Viper from the 125FS/138 FW, and have a few questions reference the real things! Does anybody know if they. . .

1) have undergone the CCIP mods yet, or receieved the AIFF bird slicers on the front of the nose?

2) are keeping the full colour Native American chief's head, or are they all going lo-vis?

3) use the lantirn targeting pod. or the litening pod?

4) have all received the PW229 motor?

I think they are on deployment at the moment - does anybody have any ideas reference typical load-outs?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,

Paul

Hi all,

Am currently building a 1/48 Tulsa Viper from the 125FS/138 FW, and have a few questions reference the real things! Does anybody know if they. . .

1) have undergone the CCIP mods yet, or receieved the AIFF bird slicers on the front of the nose?

2) are keeping the full colour Native American chief's head, or are they all going lo-vis?

3) use the lantirn targeting pod. or the litening pod?

4) have all received the PW229 motor?

I think they are on deployment at the moment - does anybody have any ideas reference typical load-outs?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,

Paul

1) no. ANG Block 42s will not receive CCIP for a little while. Eventually, but not yet. Either way, they will never receivee the AIFF. Block 40/42s won't get them. The only external clue as to whether a Block 40/42 ha been CCIPd is the JHMCS sensor on the inside left canopy rail.

2) keeping the full-color head. The lo-viz is just the stencil applied sans paint.

3) Both. LANTIRN while at home, LITENING while away at Balad.

4) not all, but about half. Funding has been slow for the engine upgrades.

A few jets are currently deployed to Balad. Current loadout is

1/9 AIM-120B/C AMRAAM

2/8 empty

3/7 GBU-38 JDAM and TER with slant-mounted GBU-12s

4/8 external fuel tanks

5 empty.

I've got two books that sound like they would be invaluable to you.

Jake

Tulsa just got a nice shot in the arm by picking up Des Moines-229 equipped jets, although I think Toledo may have got a few as well. Henrik, nice to see your models finally, they look great!

Jeff

Thank You guys for Your nice comments.

Yes, I have not seen LANTIRN/AAQ_14s on any Tulsa or Toledo Block-42s in some time now!! Litenings at home and for a period in 2005/early2006 also Snipers.

Greetings,

Henrik.

Edited by Henrik

I did not mean to imply that the LANTIRN was the only pod used at home, rather that is ONLY used at home. Toledo uses the LANTIRN pod frequently while at home, as does Tulsa. However, you are correct stating that the LITENING and Sniper are also carried.

Jake

Excuse my ignorance, but why is it that the LANTIRN pod is only used at home?

Ralph, the LANTIRN system is 1980's technology, and has been replaced tactically by the LITENING AT and Sniper pods. The newer pods are still in relatively short supply, so the LANTIRN is used during peacetime to allow basic targeting pod training and recurrent training, thus freeing up the more advanced pods for the units in combat, or those that are about to deploy.

Jeff, you are correct. The 138FW received several of the Iowa jets (many of which have not yet been repainted), as did the 56FW at Luke and the 180FW in Toledo.

Jake

Jake,

Thanks for that update. It would explain why I've seen non-OK ANG F-16's at Tulsa on Airliners.net. ( Apart from any training / refuelling / nav ex. )

Regards,

Gerard