NAVY Blackhawk? What the heck is that?

Hi there :wave:

During some research I bumped into these photos:

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/web...N-8148A-014.jpg

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/web...N-8446A-006.jpg

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/web...N-8446A-003.jpg

..and so on...

Obviously these are not Seahawks, at least not ones I know about. By configuration it's a Blackhawk, but it wears NAVY paintscheme, and belongs to a NAVY unit. So what's the story here?

Greetings, neu :wave:

www.deploymentproductions.com

Actually, that's the MH-60S Knighthawk.

MH60S.jpg

The MH-60S is designed to support the Navy's Helicopter Master Plan and meet Fleet Combat Support Aircraft mission requirements. The MH-60S is an amalgam of the Sikorsky UH-60L BLACK HAWK helicopter and its Navy variant, the SH-60B SEAHAWK® helicopter. The BLACK HAWK airframe provides the larger cabin volume and features required for cargo and passenger transport, and the SEAHAWK offers unique naval capabilities required to operate aboard ship. MH-60S helicopter missions include Vertical Replenishment, Combat Search and Rescue, Special Warfare Support and Airborne Mine Countermeasures, where it will be outfitted with a variety of systems to further serve the fleet.

MH60SAHWS.jpg

20070519015604.jpg

MH-60S%20Knighthawk.JPG

051212-N-7945K-168.jpg

MH-60S__166317__NAS_Whidbey_SAR__FW__BFI__6-10-06__38.jpg

Edited by Trigger

Hey-

The MH-60S is mostly a marinized L with the Navy's Common Cockpit and some other equipment. The initial buy of the MH-60S is replacing the CH-46 for the vertical replenishment mission. Therefore a configuration with doors on both sides was thought to be better suited, rather than a Seahwks configuration with a single door. (Initially plans called for the VERTREP cargo to be carried internally, they had a very neat cargo handling floor built with rollers and everything, but later this changed to sling loading.)

Triggers second pic (the armed one) is the MH-60S AHWS (Armed Helo Weapon System). This is intended to replace the HH-60H in the Surface Warfare, CSAR, and spec ops missions. It has the short Army wings with Hellfire, and they are currently working on adding 2.75 rocket capability.

Phil

Thanks guys for the answer! I thought it's something relatively new stuff, as I haven't seen it that much till now!

Thanks for your input! <_<

Phil

Will the MH-60S replace the HH-46 (both Navy and Marine Corps)?

Trigger

Trigger-

Yes for the Navy. The MH-60S will replace all the older SAR helos including the HH-46's and UH-3's still around. The Navy will eventually be an all H-60 fleet. Not sure about the Marines HH-46's. The Marine Corps will not have any Sierra's of thier own, so I don't know what will replace thier HH-46's.

Phil

Edited by Par429

To anyone who can make this happen:

Kit please. 1/72. Conversion will suffice. Decals. Please include crew figures.

I will now return to my other pipe dreams of a romantic relationship with Scarlett Johansson and winning the Mega Millions Lottery.

Thanks.

Kit please. 1/72. Conversion will suffice. Decals. Please include crew figures.

Easy enough...take an Italeri 1/72 UH-60A fuselage and put the rotors/HIRSS from the HH-60H kit on it. Voila!

HTH

Spongebob

Most if not all of the HSC squadrons are flying MH-60S. In November i'm transfering to HSC-85 out at NAS North Island, San Diego and can't wait to start learning everything all over again. They just got rid of their last H-3 and got brand new MH-60S. Good bye Hornets hello Knighthawks.

Easy enough...take an Italeri 1/72 UH-60A fuselage and put the rotors/HIRSS from the HH-60H kit on it. Voila!

HTH

Spongebob

what about 48th? will the revell hh-60 surfice?

Hey-

For those who are thinking of trying the MH-60S conversion, here's a couple more pictures for inspiration.

Armed Helo:

MH60S.jpg

Air Ambulance:

mh60-9.jpg

Phil

Edited by Par429