*** am I doing to myself?!

OK, so here is my Fury conversion. Hasegawa F-86 into an FJ-3 Fury. I have always wanted a Fury. I have the ESCI kit, but...well, you know. I also attempted to fix a warp by dipping it in boiling water and now that warped side is about 6mm shorter over it's entire length than the other side. After staring at it for a long time trying to figure out where to cut it here and there to fix it, I figured "What the heck! Do the Hasegawa conversion!" I enjoy these kinds of projects, even if I never finish them.

A Fury conversion is pretty involved. Wings, Fuselage, Cockpit, Canopy, Gear, etc...

In all of the info I have on the Fury, the authors say things like "The intake was deepened." Well, What the heck does that mean? You can look at pics and see a difference, but there are many ways to "deepen" an intake. A conversation on Hyperscale suggested that the lower fuselage was tilted down starting at about the middle of the wing chord (at the root) and sort of hinged down from there.

That's why the wing appears to be higher on the fuselage. Imagine keeping the wing stationary and dropping the front of the nose down as though it was hinged at the middle of the wing root. Does that make sense?

furymodscopy.jpg

Next, I attacked the tail-

Furyconversioncopy.jpg

My main focus on these projects is to try to "work clean".

Pete

Edited by Impatient Pete

Wow...this one is pretty sweet too...I don't know if I could handle two "head-bangers" at the same time...best of luck and I'll keep watching...

Cheers,

Dave

You are almost making me want to do it all over again.

Correctly this time.

Great!! When will the resin be available? I'd like at least two sets. Somehow I think that conversion would be even more popular than your F-84 accessories.

Gene K

Very, very clever cut lines!!!!!!!

This will be a terrific conversion that I'll try to scale down to 1/72 following your lead.

Gene K

Gene, if you are interested in a 1/72 FJ-3, I've got an RVHP FJ-3M on my sale list.

Joe

Here is my old conversion, using the Monogram fuselage and the ESCI wings.

You are almost making me want to do it all over again.

Correctly this time.

Great! Between you and Pete, when will the resin be available so I can get a couple of sets? Will be very popular.

Fury of Third Wire was planning on a conversion set, but has been quiet the last several months, but has said he's still considering it. 2Fury1.jpg .

I have the Collect Aire resin kit - excellent, but expensive.

Gene K

Gene, if you are interested in a 1/72 FJ-3, I've got an RVHP FJ-3M on my sale list.

Thanks. I have one, and to be kind, it's one of RVHP's earlier kits and not quite to the standard of their recent.

I love to chop plastic, and am apparently of Pete's ilk - research it, engineer it, cut it, glue it, prime it, and move on to the next project.

Gene K

Thank all of you for the nice comments...

Here is an old article on the conversion.

Fj.jpg

fj2.jpg

I raised the top of the fuselage, but didn't lower the nose section like Pete did. That is why it doesn't have the larger intake it should have had. I did hog out the kits nose as much as possible though.

I love to chop plastic, and am apparently of Pete's ilk - research it, engineer it, cut it, glue it, prime it, and move on to the next project.

I can't build out of the box!!! I have several Tamigawa kits sitting in my stash. I still pass them by, for an old Monogram kit or even (shudder) Lindberg or even a (shudder, shudder) Hobbycraft kit.

I have a shelf of really cool vac kits too. How about a VP Canada kit of the FH-1 Phantom I?

I still am partial to the early Navy fighters.

Resin converson for the Fury would be totally cool. I wish someone would do one.

I would love to tackle one myself. I just don't have the equipment to do it the way I would want to do it. (my pressure pots are too small)

I did a master for the F-84F fuselage (the two available are WRONG) that would be used for the Monogrem kit. I was never happy with the outcome. It was just too crude. But the masters will build into a nice ACCURATE F-84F though.

I will have to perfect my casting technique before I do that again.

I think Zactoman would have no trouble with something like this.

I am following his buildups to learn the right way to do it.

Cheers,

Harold

I raised the top of the fuselage, but didn't lower the nose section like Pete did. That is why it doesn't have the larger intake it should have had. I did hog out the kits nose as much as possible though.

Really? It still looks right. Guess that just shows that there is more than one way to do it?

Really? It still looks right. Guess that just shows that there is more than one way to do it?

I raised the top of the fuselage about 8 scale inches with A+B epoxy and smoothed it with a wet finger.

That tapered down on the nose.

I read someplace that the fuselage was raised almost a foot. That looked really odd, so I didn't raise it that far.

You have a different kit, with recessed panel lines. I had the old Monogram kit with raised lines. I just sanded them all off.

• 1 month later...
Very cool Harold!

I haven't touched mine. Any work I have been doing is on the Tiger.

That looks great! When you say update your build, are you going to do it over or what?

Pete

That is what I am thinking....following your build makes me want to do it right.

I have been so busy working on resin goodies for others; I haven't taken the time for myself.

I haven't done a NMF in years. The last few builds I did were all NMF.

This one should be in NMF too. I just wish I still had some of the original ALCLAD.

I guess I should finish my Cougar re-do before starting anything new.

Cheers,

Harold

Edited by Harold
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been working on a quick conversion for an FJ3 as well.

I am using the 1/48 F-86D fuselage and wing w/slats and the Grand Phoenix FJ4 for the nose and cockpit. The Sabre Dog's chunkier fuselage is very close to the dimensions of the Fury, with the exception of the tail.

I just know that when I am done with butchering these two kits, Hobby Boss or Trumpeter will announce plans to release one..... :yahoo:

I will post pics when it is done...Should be this century yet ;)