Hi David and SLICK, thanks for the kind words!

I managed to continue with constructing the kit after a few day's break. I've assembled the fuselage, but left the main landing gear hanging lose, as I remembered the challenge of getting the main wheels, nose wheels and outrigger wheels to be aligned when I built this kit some years back...

AV-8B_2.jpg

so what I've done was to cement the nose landing gear and wheel to the fuselage, and the outrigger wheels to the wings. Subsequently, I will be cementing the wings to the fuselage, while at the same time apply cement to the main langing gear, to get all the wheels to sit in balance.

Well, it's beginning to look like a Harrier now. :thumbsup:

Ben

I've fixed the wing to the fuselage section. I managed to get the nose wheel, the main wheels and the outrigger wheels aligned. :)

Fit of the wing to the fuselage wasn't that good... Launchers, pylons and other small parts went on without much problems.

After some more sanding, it's off to the paint shop, and then the clear parts and the ordnance will go on the Harrier!

AV-8B_3a.jpg

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Harrier painted! What's left now are the ordnance and the decals...

AV-8BPainted.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that the kit-supplied Snakeyes are Mk81s (250lbs) instead of Mk82s (500lbs). I shall use the kit supplied bombs for this group build, and will probably change the load out to Mk 20 Rockeyes in place of the Snakeyes.

Ben

Having just seen this and your nice paint job, I'm loath to mention, but did you fix the misaligned pitots? If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, look at the height of the left and right pitot from the front. One sits much higher up the fuelage than the other and they should be at the same height.

Hi CraigSargent,

Thanks for the kind words on the paint job, and the caution on the pitot tubes. I attached the pitots according to the instructions, and after you've mentioned about them, I checked them and true enough, they were slightly misaligned (one slightly higher than the other)..... :D Oh well, it's a lesson learnt before I start on my next Monogram Harrier!

Ben

Ben, Are you going to weather it? Also, a little bit of dry-brushing in the cockpit would bring out all the details. I re-did my Monogram Harriers' pit, and it greatly approved the look instead of all black.

Its still looking good!!!!

Hi Maverick,

I managed to weather the gun pod slightly by dry-brushing the gun vent. The landing gears were also lightly weathered. As for the cockpit, I've also dry-brushed using Tamiya's Gun Metal, and the dials and control switches on the instrument panel and the left/right consoles came on subtly. The MFD was also given a coat of green. Despite all these, the photos don't seem to show up well on the dry-brushing effect (except for the gun vent).... well it's time for me to get a new digital camera. ;)

Here are shots of my completed model:

AV-8B_Lside.jpg

Av-8BLside2.jpg

AV-8B_top.jpg

AV-8BRside.jpg

It's been a fun built, and now I'm thinking if I should start on the Revell F-4J Mig-Ace......

Ben

Looking mean! I usually like'm real dirty, but you've got a nice Harrier.

Yes, you should do the F-4 Mig Ace next. I like the Monogram F-4s, I had that one, but...it uh, let's just say it doesn't exists anymore. I want to get another one.

Keep up the good work Ben.

Hi Maverick,

Thanks for the kind words! I must admit that I'm still pretty poor at weathering aircraft models, even more so when it comes to kits with raised panel lines..... this is an area I have to start working on to improve.

In the mean time, I've dug out the F-4J MiG Ace Phantom from my stash, and it's waiting to be built!

Ben

• 3 weeks later...