Differences between the F-8E and F-8J Crusader ???

• 9 years later...
  • Alvis 3.1 pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

That is the bottom of the rocket pack which was above the speed brake.  It only applies to the F8U-1/F-8A, F8U-1E/F-8B,L and F8U-2/F-8C,K.  As I recall that is a separate part, so just omit it if you are doing a D, E, E(FN), H or J. For those versions the well should look like the attached photo

CE speed brake and well-F-8D, E, E(FN), H, J jpg.jpg

Edited by Superheat

A small thing, Tom,,,,,,,,you may want to fix your post,,,,,,,you used "K" twice instead of "L" for the rebuilt Bs.

Not a big thing, or a slam,,,,,,,just thinking that newbies to Crusaders might use this thread for reference later on.

I do wonder if the DF-8A, DF-8F, and DF-8L kept the rocket door, with it sealed shut. Or if that space was used for something else having to do with the Drone Control mission.

(I have plenty of typos in my own lists,,,,,,and they are a bear to find, even after multiple reads, my eyes just gloss over those typos)

Thanks for the heads up, Rex.  As far as I know, the rocket packs remained in place on all versions with them, they were just deactivated.  The rocket pack was a truly bad idea to begin with. I suspect that whatever avionics were needed for drone control were placed in the upper fuselage in place of the Ammo cans, but don't know for sure.

Cheers,

Tom

That is a more logical place for them, Tom.

I was never very much of a fan of the "barrage of rockets" concept,,,,,,but, if a bomber would ever have been hit by a spray of them, the results would have sure been spectacular to see,,,,,,,,,just before the pilot flew into the mess. Sort of like the Genie idea,,,,,talk about one way missions to "take one for God and Country"

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:11 AM, Superheat said:

That is the bottom of the rocket pack which was above the speed brake.  It only applies to the F8U-1/F-8A, F8U-1E/F-8B,K and F8U-2/F-8C,K.  As I recall that is a separate part, so just omit it if you are doing a D, E, E(FN), H or J. For those versions the well should look like the attached photo

CE speed brake and well-F-8D, E, E(FN), H, J jpg.jpg

Hi, Tom!

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, the deflectors are a separate part, on the right in the picture.

cec48434%20F-8%20Brake_zpso9zzwpef.jpg

I'm doing the C version, so the deflectors are to be inside the bay. My question was aimed at learning how the deflectors worked when they had to perform their task. I certainly didn't know that the Crusaders could carry rockets; I thought it could be more like JATOs, to be honest with you.

Cheers,

Henka

2 hours ago, The Scaremonger said:

Hi, Tom!

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, the deflectors are a separate part, on the right in the picture.

cec48434%20F-8%20Brake_zpso9zzwpef.jpg

I'm doing the C version, so the deflectors are to be inside the bay. My question was aimed at learning how the deflectors worked when they had to perform their task. I certainly didn't know that the Crusaders could carry rockets; I thought it could be more like JATOs, to be honest with you.

Cheers,

Henka

Henka,

Again, they are NOT deflectors, that is the bottom of the rocket pack and so fixed in place, they do not move.  Period. Comma.  Amen.  And they are on the left in your photo, not the right - on the right is the speed brake itself, which is I suppose, a deflector of sorts.  Here are two photos, first is the rocket pack deployed and the second is a shot into the speed brake well of an F-8A showing the bottom of the rocket pack and the speed brake actuator.

RocketTray-sm.jpg

sMG_1946b.jpg

With an afterburner, the Crusader had no need of JATO

Tom

20 hours ago, Superheat said:

Again, they are NOT deflectors, that is the bottom of the rocket pack and so fixed in place, they do not move.  Period. Comma.  Amen.  And they are on the left in your photo, not the right - on the right is the speed brake itself, which is I suppose, a deflector of sorts.  Here are two photos, first is the rocket pack deployed and the second is a shot into the speed brake well of an F-8A showing the bottom of the rocket pack and the speed brake actuator.

RocketTray-sm.jpg

sMG_1946b.jpg

Tom! :thumbsup:

Thanks once again. Yes, I meant my other right on the picture. :doh: Well, okay; it's just the Cutting Edge instructions sheet says they're deflectors.

First pic you posted make everything clear to me now. So the rocket pack opened in an opposite way than the speedbrake; I was not able to fathom how in hell the rockets were released otherwise.

Second pic you posted made me make up my mind about doing an E version instead. The two pieces on the left of the picture I posted above (which Cutting Edge call "deflectors"), look nothing like the real thing in any case.

One last question and I'm off your back; what angle does the airbrake generally reach after engine shutdown, when the aircraft is parked on the ground? I heard it can reach down until the ground stops it.

Cheers Tom!

Henka   

Henka,

OK, that explains things.  I own a couple of the CE speed brake sets, but they are in storage somewhere and not at hand, so didn't have their instructions to see where you were getting that term from.  I should have realized you hadn't pulled out of.......that place where the sun don't shine.  So I apologize for my impatience in the second reply. Although I agree it does not match the photos all that well, I still think that if you really wanted to do a C and just cracked the speed brake a bit, it would be difficult to see the detail discrepancy.  But that begs the question of how you are, or were, planning to deal with the major shape differences between the C and E noses .  Not, I hope, with the CE C conversion set, which is also not accurate. And the cockpits are slightly different as well, not addressed in the CE set.

As to the speed brake, in general, given enough time, the speed brakes on most parked Crusaders would hit the ground, but how long that took varied wildly from aircraft to aircraft.  On some it might be on the ground in 30 minutes, on others, it could take days. Or not happen at all, if the Utility Hydraulic system was really tight.  It is interesting to note that while photos of parked USN Crusaders without a sagging speed brake are rare, photos of French F-8 s with one are equally rare.   I photographed this  aircraft at Hyeres in 2002, 3 years after retirement and was told it had not run since.  So the bottom line is you can place the speed brake however you want, from fully up to fully down or anywhere in between. 

Cheers,

Tom

sCN6272.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

:thumbsup: Thank you both Turtle & Tom. Your replies were a great help to me.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, Superheat said:

But that begs the question of how you are, or were, planning to deal with the major shape differences between the C and E noses .  Not, I hope, with the CE C conversion set, which is also not accurate. And the cockpits are slightly different as well, not addressed in the CE set.

Oh, no; I've got the Murdock set to convert either the Hasegawa E or Monogram J 1/48 kits to the C version. I just learnt from you that the Cutting Edge set was not accurate in order to make the conversion. I was this close of getting it, so I guess it was just my luck not to have gotten it.

Cheers, fellas.

Henka 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello. I am a big fan of F-8 Crusader and I am collecting photos for all versions of it. I would like to kindly ask you to send me photos of horizontal stabilizer and stabilizer at the bottom of the fuselage for version F-8E, if you have any.  Thank you. Michal.

9 hours ago, habu2 said:

Has anyone seen this book by Bill Spidle ?  He is (or was?) an active member of ARC...  I mention it in this thread because the description states it covers all variants.

https://www.amazon.com/Vought-F-8-Crusader-Development-Supersonic/dp/1580072429

See http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2017/09/vought-f-8-crusader-by-william-d-spidle.html. Also see reviews on Amazon.

2 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Good review, thanks.

Some of the amazon reviews were good on content but critical of writing style. As a reference guide this looks to be an excellent book. 

• 1 month later...

Admins, can you please consider moving this topic to an archived page? This pinned at the top of jet modeling totally out of place and gets in the way of one of the mist popular pages of ARC, imo. 

All, please ‘aye’ if in support. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...