Differences between the F-8E and F-8J Crusader ???

Sad news. 😥

unfortunately with forums in general we never know when a fellow member passes unless we have close friendships with members off the cyber grid.  Of all of the forums I participate in, modeling, woodworking, guns and cars, I know no one on a personal basis that would be in the know if my ticket was punched. 

Very sad news, Stefan. 

Tom was one of the guys that was very helpful, and patient, when it came to answering questions about the Crusader.

His posts and articles are all over the Web, so, we won't have any trouble remembering him in the future.

Rest in peace Tom,,,,,,I miss talking and PM'ing with you already, bud.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A slight correction to what his friend from Seattle said. The Crusaders Tom flew in Vietnam were indeed small-nose Crusaders, but they were F-8H's, not F-8C's.

He was on that 1970 cruise of the USS Shangri La.

In the 1980's, Tom had a good look if it would be possible for him to obtain one of the retired Philippine Air Force F-8H's and fly it as a warbird. Sadly, Tom wasn't a billionaire.

He knew which one of the Philippine ones he would have wanted...his favorite F-8H from the cruise was there.

Cheers, Stefan.  

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Scott Smith said:

I for one discovered it by accident and if it were archived it would be lost.  Every now and then I go back and read it as well.  

What does it hurt having it as a sticky?? 

I cant see it does any harm and agree it might get lost otherwise,

In addition Tom who contributed a lot to this discussion is no longer with us so its good to keep it in view.

Julien

• 1 year later...

Going off on a tangent here, but how about the differences between the C and E?

As I understand it a thinner C radome, no Bullpup hump on the top of the fuselage and all those other things I doubtlessly missed.

I plan to modify the Hasegawa E to a C version so some nose profiles especially would be great.

Thanks,

Marc.

2 hours ago, serendip said:

As I understand it a thinner C radome, no Bullpup hump on the top of the fuselage and all those other things I doubtlessly missed.

I plan to modify the Hasegawa E to a C version so some nose profiles especially would be great.

Thanks,

Marc.

Description :

https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/f8-crusader-72/crusader.htm

Diagrams :

https://blueprintbox.com/details.php?image_id=28318

Edited by AV O
21 hours ago, serendip said:

Thanks,

Marc.

https://superheatmemorial.blogspot.com/2018/12/summary-differences-vought-f8uf-8.html

https://superheatmemorial.blogspot.com/2018/12/f-8-radome-comparisons.html

3 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Besides the radome being round instead of oval, note the prominent crease below the  side panel of the windscreen required to fair in the wider radome to the nose.

Exactly my point tailspin, this appears to be missing completely on the Hasegawa E, making it resemble a C more than an E.

Or am I missing something (in the context of this discussion)?

21 hours ago, serendip said:

Exactly my point tailspin, this appears to be missing completely on the Hasegawa E, making it resemble a C more than an E.

Or am I missing something (in the context of this discussion)?

I looked at pictures of both the Hasegawa 1/72 and 1/48 F-8E/J kits and both appear to be missing the crease. However, I didn’t see one from a head-on standpoint to determine the roundness. The crease may be missing because the kit fuselage is too wide at that point. I noticed that the Hasegawa F9F-8 canopy was too wide and wondered if that was necessary to mold one that was so thin. Perhaps that limitation back then, if there was one, resulted in the F-8 canopy being wider than exact accuracy would dictate. Also see Superheat’s review here:https://superheatmemorial.blogspot.com/2018/12/172nd-f-8-kit-review.html

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Add Link
2 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I looked at pictures of both the Hasegawa 1/72 and 1/48 F-8E/J kits and both appear to be missing the crease. However, I didn’t see one from a head-on standpoint to determine the roundness. The crease may be missing because the kit fuselage is too wide at that point. I noticed that the Hasegawa F9F-8 canopy was too wide and wondered if that was necessary to mold one that was so thin. Perhaps that limitation back then, if there was one, resulted in the F-8 canopy being wider than exact accuracy would dictate. Also see Superheat’s review here:https://superheatmemorial.blogspot.com/2018/12/172nd-f-8-kit-review.html

Thanks Tailspin,

The radome on the Hasegawa E is more oval than round not to mention the lack of the wider fuselage section immediately behind the radome - I guess that's the crease you mention(?)

That helps immensely to backdate this to a C version, as far as the nose section goes. It already seems closer to a C than an E in both regards above. Shaving the radome a tad should be a doodle, or is that a diddle?

Spine should be doable also.

Anything else I should watch for? I guess the C carried a quartet of Zunis?

It really seems more like a C at the pointy end.

Thanks for your input!

Marc.