I visited the base today along with Norris Graser(of SuperScale fame)and Nate Leong(aviation photographer)for one of the unit's last photoshoots.Was suprised they were adding finishing touches to the Colt's victory bird(they were applying them when we hit the flightline),I imagine it has to do with the Colt's being in town for thier pre-season training :salute:

We only have 8 jets left and one leaving in the next week or so,and two in the hanger for periodical maintenance.Sept. 8th is the last official sortie we'll fly,Jake Melampy will be there to document the whole affair as will I(you'll see Jake's pics first most likely,mine suck compared to his! ;) ),should have a good time that day even though it'll be a sad one as well.

100_2932.jpg

100_2925.jpg

100_2935.jpg

100_2943.jpg

100_2938.jpg

Jake's jet,85-1511

100_2939.jpg

Vermount ANG F-16C,83-1150, showed up as I was leaving the flightline,our unit will carry out Phase maintenance on other unit's aircraft for the next year or so and this is the second jet we are taking care of(first was a New Jersey F-16C)so at least we'll have a some Vipers in the sky for awhile,even though they won't be ours.

100_2948.jpg

Edited by ThePhantomTwo
Jake's jet,85-1511

100_2939.jpg

:nanner:

I had some real reservations about the Colts jet when I saw it, but it looks great. I can't wait to see it in person!

Jake

:wub:

I had some real reservations about the Colts jet when I saw it, but it looks great. I can't wait to see it in person!

Jake

You're not kidding! That blue is eye catching! Nice looking bird.

I still think a Bears jet would've looked better...........but I've always liked the Colts too. The jets growing on me, hopefully the Viper out scheme will kick butt, they still have one in the works, right? I know Hills 419th got little to no publicity....

Jeff

What unit did 500 go to?

Chappie

It hasn't left yet. It'll be around on September 8th, along with the D-model and Colts jet. I think there will be 4 jets left, right Dave?

Jake

Interesting talking to the NFL about licensing and copyright issues. Hardest part is getting them to understand what we're doing everytime I deal with them.

I've never met a group as protective of their licensing as these guys are.

OK OK so are we doing the jet in decal form? Only if we can do it legally and that is in the works. The timing of it is all on the NFL. When they say we're cool, then we're cool..

Wait for it guys, it's coming....

It hasn't left yet. It'll be around on September 8th, along with the D-model and Colts jet. I think there will be 4 jets left, right Dave?

I know 85-1495 will be one as well as 85-1500,I believe 85-1428 and 85-1505 will be the others.85-1511 will also be on the ramp,not too sure if '500 will fly though,it's still in Phase Maintenance at the moment and they'll have to push to get it thru plus do the FCF's and such but given the amount of people I seen work on it yesterday I think it'll be ready B) If it doesn't fly that day I imagine it'll be a static display for the shin-dig,they are estimating 3,000+ people who have been/are in the unit and thier families.

What unit did 500 go to?

All our jets are being transfered to the New Jersey ANG

Viper out scheme will kick butt, they still have one in the works, right?

If they do they've kept it a big secret,as far as I know they won't be doing one even though Jake,myself and a few others have shown them some cool schemes to choose from.The big push is to get the base display aircraft painted and looking pretty,the F-100D on the pole will come down for the first time since 1978,painted and put on the flightline from what I understand.

They added the "Racers" with the Colt's head at the base of the fin just yesterday when we were on the line,I like it ALOT better now that they did that,it was too plain without it to me.

Interesting talking to the NFL about licensing and copyright issues. Hardest part is getting them to understand what we're doing everytime I deal with them.

I've never met a group as protective of their licensing as these guys are.

OK OK so are we doing the jet in decal form? Only if we can do it legally and that is in the works. The timing of it is all on the NFL. When they say we're cool, then we're cool..

Wait for it guys, it's coming....

I'll e-mail you our new Community Managers e-mail address and phone number,maybe she can help get things going as well for you.The Colt's are in town for thier pre-season training for the next couple weeks as well,I think are planning a photo-op with the team in front of the jet.

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Oh,and if anyone knows someone with a Warbird(P-51,F-86,C-47,T-6,T-33),give me a shout,we are trying to get more of the past a/c we flew on the ramp for the last ever sortie of the unit.I'm going to be contacting a bunch over the next week or so on behalf of the unit and if anyone has any contacts I can get a hold of it would be appreciated. :banana:

I still think a Bears jet would've looked better...........but I've always liked the Colts too. The jets growing on me, hopefully the Viper out scheme will kick butt, they still have one in the works, right? I know Hills 419th got little to no publicity....

Jeff

Jeff,somebody on base must have seen our posts here,found out today they actually did a farewell jet!I knew nothing of this until I seen A former MOC co-worker today,hitting the base for pics Saturday morning.I'm told it's tail is one large 113th FS emblem,guess I'll find out in the A.M.!

Ok,hit the base this morning to take pics of the new scheme on F-16C 85-1552,which unfortunatly they had already dragged into the hanger and took the canopy off to take care of TCTO items,the egress guys were gracious enough to let me get in thier way for a few minutes for my needed walk-arounds.

This is the brunt of the new markings for 85-1552,name on the canopy are in red/black as well,gear door names are still in gray.Also had a few suprise visitors on the ramp as well as you'll see:

Markings from '552 removed,they were only temporary for the base's pilot reunion.They have been removed as of the week of August 13.

Vermount ANG F-16C(83-1150)undergoing phase maintenance on base,we'll do other units as well until we can't support doing so.

100_2970.jpg

A New Mexico F-16C on the ramp,the pilot flew in for a pilot get-together this week.

100_2968.jpg

A plain vanilla Alabama F-16C,looks to be recently back fro PDM at Hill AFB.

100_2967.jpg

Will post more later in the week if anyone is interested,will be taking more shots of 85-1552 after it gets out of the hanger during the week,

Edited by ThePhantomTwo
Ok,hit the base this morning to take pics of the new scheme on F-16C 85-1552

Hey, that's the one I drew!! I had no idea they intended to use anything of mine!!

I talked to RJ on the phone for almost an hour last week about the upcoming events. My air-airs did cancel :bandhead2: , but it sounds like the last weekend will be great.

I'm going to come out late next week and shoot the specially-painted jets one last time during an operational sortie.

Can't wait!

Jake

I talked to RJ on the phone for almost an hour last week about the upcoming events

She said that you were pretty bummed about the tanker ride when I stopped by her office,we talked about the happenings on the 8th,sounds like they dumped the plans for the warbirds though but like she said we'll probably have more than a few cross-country's popping in that weekend for the farewell,the govenor,the AG and few other higher ups will be there for the shin-dig.Tried to send the pics thru my GMail but it kept screwing up,will send them when I get to work Monday night if you want,but if you hit the base this week I'm pretty sure you'll do a great set of walk arounds,far better than mine :cheers:

I noticed the scheme looked like yours with a few variations,would have looked cooler with the black tail with the one scheme you had :wacko: They had pilot reunion get-together thursday and friday hence '552 getting in and out so quick,did think it was weird the used TFS instead of FS on the rudder,guess they were going for a retro type of thing.The crew chief of '505 thinks they should do his as 181st FW jet in the same style as the 113th one.

Just got back from 5 days in MI, and see what I missed...That farewell scheme looks awesome! It'll be cool to see the whole jet. Jake, I feel bad for you, no tanker ride, that sucks! I know you'll get the pics though, no matter how they fly that weekend. Looks like yet another set of decals in the works....

Jeff

Just got back from 5 days in MI, and see what I missed...That farewell scheme looks awesome! It'll be cool to see the whole jet. Jake, I feel bad for you, no tanker ride, that sucks! I know you'll get the pics though, no matter how they fly that weekend. Looks like yet another set of decals in the works....

Jeff

Oh,I think Jake will get pics you won't see done by anyone else :woot.gif: