Alclad Grey Primer

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has used Alclad IIs grey primer. Does it work well? Can it be airbrushed right out of the bottle, or does it need to be thinned? I know people have had problems with Alclad's black primer, so wanted to see what people have to say about the grey primer.

Thanks!

Zack I use the Alclad II Grey Primer, regularly, and it is great.

No thinning required, and set your airbrush to 10-12 psi. Apply in light/mist coats initally, as it is slightly hot and will melt plastic if sprayed on too heavy.

I use cellulose/lacquer thinners for cleanup.

PS Always use a respirator when spraying.

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has used Alclad IIs grey primer. Does it work well? Can it be airbrushed right out of the bottle, or does it need to be thinned? I know people have had problems with Alclad's black primer, so wanted to see what people have to say about the grey primer.

Thanks!

This stuff is fantastic, I used to mix my own primers but this is way better than anything I could come up with. It does spray directly from the can BUT you MUST give the can a good shaking, especialy if it's been sitting around for a while. I've put it through my Aztek, using the grey g/p nozzle and through my Iwata CMC and had no problems. It does dry very quickly if put on in thin coats and gives a really great satin finish. I also use the Alclad Black primer and haven't had any real problems with it. I think the key to getting good results from it are to use a fairly low pressure and build up the finish in misted on coats. Trying to put a wet coat on hasn't usually worked for me. If you want to apply a shiny silver/bare metal finish and you're not happy with the base coat, try polishing it with Bare-Metal plastic polish, put this on with a piece of kitchen roll and buff it up to a high gloss using a soft cloth, the ones for polishing camera or glasses lenses are ideal. I hope this helps.

Thanks for all the great feedback! I'm glad I bought some of the stuff and will be sure to give it a try. This last time I used Krylon Glossy Black which worked well but I sprayed on a really humid day so didn't get that smooth of a finish which of course affected the final result.

Is it better to mist on the alclad paint as well? The instructions say to use it like a brush, but I don't know about that.

Thanks!

anything lacquer based paint is going to be "hot", meaning it will dry quickly. your psi shouldn't be any higher than 12psi. also, you shouldn't be too far from the model with your airbrush or the paint will be almost dry before it reaches the kit causing orange peel, or grainy surface. too high psi will cause this too. always tweak in the psi/distance on a scrap model before applying it to the real deal.