I'm about to start building a 1/48 scale TF-104G in Bundesluftwaffe colours, but i'm having trouble finding a satin varnish which gives the correct "sheen". I've tried Humbrol satincote, but it seems to dry too matt for the scheme I'm doing. German Starfighters had quite a shine to their finish, although it was obviously not gloss!

Can anyone recommend a particular brand to airbrush, preferably enamel, as I don't get on very well with acrylics?

:beer4:

Hooter:

I almost always use enamel/lacquer paints for my modles (Model Maste and Xtracolor), but I switched over to using acrylics for my clear coats several years ago. These seem to work much better thasn the enamel clear coats for me. My favorite is PollyS Satin coat. This does seem to dry with a slight gloss that looks good in-scale.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Hooter:

I almost always use enamel/lacquer paints for my modles (Model Maste and Xtracolor), but I switched over to using acrylics for my clear coats several years ago. These seem to work much better thasn the enamel clear coats for me. My favorite is PollyS Satin coat. This does seem to dry with a slight gloss that looks good in-scale.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Many thanks for that, Mike . . .I'll let you know how I get on !

:(

If you're willing to try acrylics, Gunze Flat Clear is easy to work with (thin with rubbing alcohol or Tamiya thinner), and heavily thinned light coats will dry to a very nice satin sheen.