Eduard PE for 1/32 Flanker and Russian star stencils

So I'm currently gathering up the stuff to build Trumpeters big Flanker. I have the three correction sets from Zactomodels (just amazing) as well as Aires wheel wells, cockpit, and nozzles. I'm wondering whether the Eduard exterior detail set is actually worth the money. It looks like most of the set consists of the FOD screens which I wouldn't be using. I've searched through the older threads (including the BIG Flanker thread) and I've seen the Eduard set mentioned. Just not it's actual degree of usefulness. :P

I'm also interested finding precut stencils to paint the Russian stars on the Flanker. I have a set of Linden Hill decals for it but I think I can do a better job of producing that heavily weathered appearance if I spray them. Anyone know if there are any sets out there to do these stars?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Shane

In now designing Su-27 stencil decal we'l have plans include printing on selfadgesive NMF metal information shields (for 1\48 and 1\32) and precutted stars stencil (for 1\72, 1\48 and 1\32).

Hi Shane, (*EDIT* ~tsk~ where are my manners?) Welcome aboard, glad you stopped by.*EDIT*

I hope you'll be starting an In-Progress thread when you build your big Russian. It would be terrific to see your progress.

I can't help with the star masks but I did buy the Eduard exterior set for use on my Flanker. You are correct in thinking that the largest contribution to the set is the FOD screens but the set also includes hinge attachments for the nose gear bay door, better side cheek detail for the nose gear mudguard plus numerous small panels and antenna details. The truth of the matter is that it probably is n't worth the money just for the bits that you'll use but, those small bits do help the finished look of the model ;)

You pays your money, you takes your choice!

In the end, I used the above mentioned hinges, a vent panel on the upper starboard fuselage, the two small diamonds where the Odd-Rod antenna protrude and the Odd-Rods themselves, the mudguard side cheeks, the additional fillets added to the two aft main gear doors, the main gear leg compression gauges, a couple of the small, bare metal area access panels, the two fuel filler circles and other small antenna.

HTH

Good luck with your build and please keep us posted.

:blink:

Edited by geedubelyer

I agree with Guy.

I also bought the Eduard exterior set as it seems to me that only intake screens were useless(?)

As to the stecnil decals,I also felt a little sorry that Linden Hill one missed some important stecnils,such as the ones on ejection seat,landing gears,pylons,weapons,etc,which should make the good accent on the model.

As for the Red Star decal,maybe you can try over-painting work on the decal after applying.(Just spray the main colour of the body,very thin and far away from the model.)

I tried on my 1/72 one,and the effect is quite amazing,at least to me.

Good luck.

Yufei

Thanks for the info and tips. I think I will pick up the PE for it. Hell at this point I have so much money in it what's another 20.00?

As for the stars I will probably experiment with the overspray method to see if I can get it to work. The effect I'm going for is the one seen on the Flanker DVD where the red paint has almost completely worn away in spots. I may be able to over the decals with white to get the look I want.

Unfortunately it will be a while before I can actually start the model as I'm in the process of A. Moving B. Starting a new job and C. Finishing up the flying for my commercial pilot's license. I think I'm buying all this stuff to cheer myself up over the fact that I don't have any time to actually make use of it.

Shane

Kotey,

These sound great but I'm unclear about one thing. By self-adhesive do you mean they are dry transfer type decals? Is so that would be fantastic. Even if they are regular decals I'll still pick up a set as the set you make for the Mig-21 look fantastic.

Shane

In now designing Su-27 stencil decal we'l have plans include printing on selfadgesive NMF metal information shields (for 1\48 and 1\32) and precutted stars stencil (for 1\72, 1\48 and 1\32).