Hi Tim. After eliminating XS903, due to finding no o/wts fitted to the black spine/fin scheme, now going with this:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/350660/L/ ,but with o/wts and correct pilot’s name.

Hey Richard, thanks. Glad it is not grate :salute:

Regards

John

Edited by John Wolstenholme

G’day guys (and gals?). Whilst progress continues to be slow (radar controller & throttles units required ~30 bits to form :salute: ) am happy with how it is going. Had a psychological breakthrough. I was a little demoralised when I realised this project is going to take me longer than I had originally thought, but having accepted that, patience is back well in the green.

Items #1 and #4 are not yet fixed.

#1 0.5mm card IP ‘backplate’ to receive details. Tapered resin piece to ‘angle’ centre console.

#2 Resin pedestal with rod/card rudder bar/pedals

#3 Kit control column with detail added using scrap resin. Used masking tape, blended-in with CA, to produce ‘glove’. I decided after drilling the stick top 4x for various switches not to press my luck!

#4 Hand radar control and throttles units; overall length is 18mm.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/62a.jpg

BFN

John

a

As i said it before i like your build and for the time it is taking you ... as long as you enjoying this build it is not matters how long it will take to complete this baby, at least this is what i think.

Keep'm coming :popcorn:

Regev.

Edited by regevmo

Please, do us favour, start your own resin company...With that quilty on your work, i am sure it will sell, what ever you make, and it will be sold FAST. :bandhead2:

Oh man, your scratchbuild is one of the amazing works i have ever seen.

The rear bulkhead, the canopy, the office - they all look great!

I'm building now an 1/48 Airfix Lightning with the Cutting edge cockpit, and yours is very accurate.

I'm watching this topic very closely!

Thanks all for your continued interest and support. Berkut, I am flattered, but I am just not in that league. t12, which scheme are you going for?

Thought I'd better post something, although not a lot due to my second passion, house cleaning! Yeah, it’s the spring time bottoming of every room. Also, bro’ visiting for 2 weeks, so no building for a while.

#1 Canopy jettison handle. Resin piece sanded to thickness, formed ‘aperture’, then handle shaped by filing/W&D 600.

#2 TACAN control unit etc formed on resin piece. Removed ‘centre’ for 0.5mm card, drilled for switches, buttons etc, - easier fitting over length pieces through card, then cut-off at underside.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/63a.jpg

Wonderful Bank Hol to those of us that have it!!

BFN

John

a

Fantastic scratching work...i cant believe it!!!!!

dude,just one question!i read it again but i didnt understand how you made the seatbelts!i understand that you dont use the PE anymore but used another method,or am I wrong?!?

I would be glad to know the exact procedure cause I always try to get real-lookin belts as PE are not posable in a real way!!!

TIA for your disposal and again great,awesome,supeeeeerb job!!!

Cheers

:thumbsup:

John,

Totally awesome build. The Lightning is probably my all time favourite British fighter - especially as I used to work on them at RAF Binbrook during the 70's and 80's. Watching what you have done thus far has been very inspirational for me, and yes, I do intend to build a large scale Lightning one day - even if I have to scratch build it!

Regards

Derek

Hi Derek and thank you. If it passes your experienced eye I must be doing OK. I often wonder what former Lightning engineers thought at the time, working on what was not an easy aircraft to maintain. Total scratch build :salute:

Jack-S. Clearly the seat was completed some months ago, so I can only illustrate it using some bits. Hopefully this answers your question.

#1 2 Lengths of masking tape, cut square, stuck adhesive-adhesive with one piece short by ~5mm, then burnished with,

#2 Home made burnishing tool.

#3 Cut (on glass with new blade) to required width of straps, ‘exposed’ single thickness through PE piece and butted up to double thickness; joint to underside so as not to be seen. Also, threaded strap through any PE buckles.

The flexible straps were set to the pose positions by spot CA fixing, then all masking tape edges/faces coated with thin CA (x2), using Microbrush (superfine), whereupon they become rigid.

43b.jpg

Getting withdrawal symptoms already!

John

Thanks dude for the very great hint!!!

I'll try on the next build for sure!!!

really appreciated and thank you very much indeed...I'll post then my homemade belts when I'll do then so you can see them ;)

Cheers and thanks again

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, figured it out. I now know the true identity of Berkut - Kris Kringle :thumbsup:

Thanks Tim and delighted you are finding it interesting/useful for some ideas. Isn’t Word brilliant!

Thanks janman, here’s a bit more detail for you.

Regards

John

So that was another glorious Bank Holiday, well for the ducks at any rate.

Here is the completed the rear bulkhead and port sidewall and shelf – I am really in the zone, maybe the twilight one!

#1 ILS unit ‘detail’ formed by drilling 0.3mm, CA over-length stretched sprue into holes, then cut/sanded till barely raised. Control knob from scrap resin.

#2 For the throttle servo clutch, I made the resin lever as small as possible before attaching to unit. Attaching a strip of masking tape made it easier to hold in tweezers to then further sand/shape lever; it is also easier to find if it does go ‘ping’.

#3 Frames and detail added to inside of port fuselage half. Constant checking with cockpit tub to ensure there is no interference.

#4 This wire which appears to be going nowhere, is the Bowden cable for the emergency stand-by handle, fitted in fuselage half.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/64a.jpg

BFN

John

a

Gotta say John you're doing a much cleaner job than me. Everything is very straight, neat and crisp which is something I just cannot seem to get on my builds. Any reason you're leaving the painting for later?

Really enjoying this thread. Nice layout and the photography is topnotch. Definately one of my favs.

Noooow that's ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!

mn your work on scratchbuilding is just outstandin!

In the time I can fill some seams or a big one you are able to produce a fabulous work!!!

cant really wait to see the next update!

Cheers

:lol: