this was my favorite build to follow

i learned so much watching you tackle all of the problems

ths outcome is one of the best scale models i have ever seen

cant wait for your next build

Thank you for sharing this adventure with us all. It has been a thoroughly fascinating and informative journey. I have learnt much along the way, not least of which is tenacity. Your perseverence and desire for perfection is an inspiration.

It's paid off too as you have constructed one of the best EE Lightnings it has ever been my pleasure to see.

The photos are pin sharp, crisp and flawless, just like the build. Is there anything you don't do well?

I love the head-on shot straight into the mouth of the beast. Just fabulous.

If you ever have a yen to take more photos, please feel free to post as many as you like. I could never have enough of this wonderful build.

I am a little sad though. I've been entertained by every update and know I'll miss them ;)

Oh well, you'll just have to get stuck into something new quick sharp.......please! ;)

Well done and congratulations on completing your beautiful Lightning John.

:o

CONGRATS John!

She is awesome!!!

It's hard to express with words how good she looks.

But what strikes me the most, far beyond your terrific skills, is the focus and endurance you've demonstrated here. I know many times I've started kits with huge plans and then - everytime - I've caught myself "cheating" to cut corners telling myself that "that particular detail will never be seen anyway...". I've been admiring your work since the beginning of this project and I think you'd be more than proud of your achievement.

Once again: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :whistle: :) :thumbsup:

/Kristian

From your first post to your photo shoot post, Aug 8, 2007 to May 12, 2010; 1,008 days or 2 years, 9 months, 4 days or 24,192 hours!!!!

Absolutely Incredible! :thumbsup:

Steven L :thumbsup:

I am another that hasn't posted much in your thread; perhaps a bit overawed. Your perserverance is an inspiration and the results absolutely outstanding!! I thank you also for the great explanations of your techniques. It's hard to come away from even a section of this build without learning something.

Thanks again,

Gary :worship:

Mr. Wolstenholme. THAT is one sweet Lightening. Considering the kit (pretty basic) and considering your skill level (about as high as it gets), you've turned this build into a classic. Congrat's! No wonder it took forever! :worship:

Well what can I say, but a big thanks to you Tripio, TomTheTomcat, Marcel, Gregg, Mark, Jeff, Pilatus, mareku, Aigore, Tim, Mike, HOLMES, Karl, crobinsonh, phantomdriver, Guy, Kristian, Kagemusha, Ian, Steven, Gary and Chuck for your generous comments and taking the time.

What camera do you use? And now of course the big question: what will be your next project?????? :thumbsup:

Best Tim

Tim, camera is a Canon Power Shot G5. It’s a beaut. Next project is house cleaning top to bottom. Unfortunately, it is 1:1.

Is there anything you don't do well?

Yeah lots, but I tend to keep quiet about those. Thanks Guy.

or 24,192 hours!!!!

Steven L :wacko:

Hi Steven. Fortunately it didn’t take that looooong, just seemed like it.

perhaps a bit overawed.

Gary

Gary, been there too. As I have previously said I think patience is a big skill. Knowing when to take a complete break is key for completion and if you think long enough about problems usually a solution will come. Sounds a bit like something out of Field of Dreams!

Hey Chris R. So did it actually happen?

“My Wife has given me permission to go to South Africa to fly in one of Mike Beachyheads Lightningsâ€.

Best Regards

John

• 2 years later...

Hi John,

I have just joined the forums so I can post here. This is truly one of the finest builds I've ever seen. A phenomenal model. I have had one of these kits in the loft for a few years and have never had the confidence to start it. I was a week away from putting it on eBay until I found this thread. Having seen your work I'm now having second thoughts about selling it, and may invest in the PE set instead !

Al

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello and belated thanks. A year on and 250 miles later she made it intact.

In case it is of any use, this is how I safely transported my models.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/F6A_zpsdfb352af.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/F6A1_zps9495133d.jpg

Had some cap and tray boxes made to size, glued 3No. cardboard cut-outs (thick to locate but not to damage any wheel brake detail etc.) to position model by landing gear (provided it is sturdy!) within box, and fix some foam to lid to apply light pressure to fuselage to hold in place, avoiding delicate antennae.

I have made boxes of sufficient depth to permit a more secure method of ‘fixing’ should it be required in the future.

Edited by John Wolstenholme
c

Nice tip John. I may need to pack up some of my models, but it will be for a carpet replacement, rather than a big move, so I may give that a try. It's also nice to see that Lightning again. It's still the best one made- ever!