what scheme/squadron markings will she wear?

Gary, that's a bit up in the air at the moment. Decided on two occasions what I was going for, and then found profiles not correct!

I'm also curious like PapaSmurf how you fabricated the vents.

Hi Jake and Tim. Are they the ones covered on p.2, my post of 24-8-07? If not let me know.

Cheers

John

Hi John!

I was thinking of you the other day-I was up at the RAF Museum in Hendon..and took a long look at the Lightning they have on display. Good Lord what a beast..what an odd, monsterous beast. As a pilot, I saw it as a systems nightmare, and assumed it would be a handful to fly..It certainly appears that way. And as a modeler, it struck me how difficult it would be to accurately capture the "personality" of this jet. As a modeling challenge goes, I can't think of many projects harder to get ones' arms around than building the Lightning in 32nd scale essentially from scratch.

Desiderada says "there will always be greater and lesser men than yourself" we, as modelers know great work when we see it. This is really an amazing build-we're all blown away. The fact that you are taking the time to let us watch and learn is really appreciated.

Keep it coming!

Regards,

Pig

Thank you leverancier and Pete. Pete, in accepting your most complimentary words for adding the ‘flesh’, due credit must be given to Frank Brown for the vacform kit. As a private venture, without the use of resin or injection moulded plastic, he produced something quite amazing back in 1992(?).

I can think of something equally challenging:

6th letter of the alphabet, 1 +1, first letter of the alphabet. :thumbsup:

Regards

John

It seems modelling is never far away. I was taking one of my regular walks over Dartmoor a while back – the area used by the army for training. Came across a spent parachute flare which uses wire (nickel?) which is ideal for the parachute cables.

#1 Parachute cables attachment was remade from plastic rod; easier to drill than kit white metal for the cables.

#2 Resin infill piece to inside of fuselage skin to fill gap as per full size.

#3 The kit ‘nib’ which fits between the jet pipes is too short when set inside the fuselage (with spacers) to allow parachute cables to ‘figure 8’ around jet pipes; clips inside rear fuselage lip. Extended with 0.5mm card and filled/sanded to give:

#4 Protrudes beyond jet pipes. I fitted a horizontal bracing card piece as it lacked strength when shaped.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/83a.jpg

So it's back to more scribing!

BFN

John

Edited by John Wolstenholme
b

Not a lot to report, the tedium of re-scribing goes on. The following idea is a modification of the method Pete used for his F.2A in the ‘triple build’.

Some of the panels are difficult/impossible to do by normal means. Templates were made from 0.25mm card. Cutting holes within the templates ,using the Waldron punch set, allowed (i) it to bend more easily where required, (ii) use of masking tape to ‘fix’ from the front, instead of using double sided tape, allowing accurate positioning. A coat of thin CA was applied to the edges in the hope that this would harden them.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/84a.jpg

I really need to get the instrument shroud finished and fixed (you just know what’s going to happen!) to give some protection to the vulnerable LFS etc.

BFN

John

b

Hi to you. Thanks Marcel and Rdrunner, hope you continue to find it of interest. Tim, no not close to perfection, just the best compromise.

The cockpit is now ram jam full - real claustrophobic with the completed IP shroud fitted. It is going to be interesting to see the aftermarket resin cockpit(s) when the Trumpeter kit(s) become(s) available. It has given me a few headaches!

#1 Kit part sides are curved; should be straight and allows for fitment of the various instruments.

#2 Cut lines and new sides from pre-bent 0.5mm card.

#3 Masking tape gives appearance of material covers to sides of LFS. You will notice that I taped the bottom edges to keep paint free for solvent gluing.

#4 The F/Path PE is too big; new panel from 0.25mm card etc to receive film at rear.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/86a.jpg

NOTE: The basic panel #4 was taped to the shroud, before detailing and fixing, to ensure that it would actually clear the scope visor to avoid unpleasant surprises. Sometimes it takes more than one go to get things right!

For the time being I am going to turn my attention to the wings. Before joining wing halves, need to check that there is enough adjustment in the MGL mounts for correct leg angle, otherwise I will be well and truly up the creek.

BFN

John

b
  • 2 weeks later...

Having procured a second Echelon kit yesterday (one to build and one to keep) I have just spent nearly two hours re-reading through this entire thread, and saved it to favourites!

What impresses me most about your scratchbuilding and finishing is the neatness, no raggedy edges or wobbly bits. I also love the fact that you refrain from cartooning your work with over use of washes and drybrushing. Lovely stuff :worship:

Jen.

I agree with Jen. I purchased an Echelon kit as well and despite the upcoming Trumpeter one I will build this monster just to skill myself further.

When John finishes this one he should submit an article (or two) to AFV Modeler Magazine!

Tim

Hi Gary and Tim. Cannot say I have herard of AFV Modeler Magazine.

(i) I have just spent nearly two hours re-reading through this entire thread, and saved it to favourites!

(ii) you refrain from over use of washes and drybrushing.

Jen.

(i) Thanks Jen, that is a compliment I am happy to accept.

(ii) This is our choice/preference, but it doesn’t mean we are right :thumbsup:

Regards

John

Wing halves joining. To ensure the wings were not spongy short rib sections were fitted.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/87b.jpg

There seemed to be a problem* with the anhedral to the wings set by formers 1 and 2. As you can see in the photo below there appears to be ‘zerohedral’. According to the 1:32 scale (kit) drawing the wings should have ~6 deg of anhedral (measured on top skin).

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/88a.jpg

Measuring a near head on photo shows this to be ~5 deg.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/B.jpg

BFN

John

* Yes, indeed I was missing something. See post 7-10-08.

b

Great stuff John

IF you are only off one degree on the wing why bother? O thats right you demand perfection and it shows ;) You are truly a master at this thing we mere mortals call a hobby. Again thanks for the updates, it's fun to watch this beauty come togehter.

Jim

Hey Jim, not a question of degrees. It is sad to record that as one gets older, logic sometimes deserts you. It is also an interesting lesson on how to use two pieces of information and come to the wrong conclusion.

I was indeed missing something, viewing perspective. Additionally, the wing is unusual in that it does not taper in thickness, until after the MLG bays, which tends to ‘counter’ the effect of anhedral. If you view the model at an angle similar to that standing in front of the real thing, guess what?

89a.jpg

Additionally, when I thought to check the internal angle at the root it is ~ 85 deg. So to the logic: if Frank B got the minor detail correct, he is not likely to have made an error on the anhedral.

So the only surgery necessary is on the grey matter. Hopefully, normal service is resumed.

BFN

John

Wings/Fuselage joints. By ‘squaring’ the wing root edges then fitting, rather than fitting and then filling/sanding, a near perfect joint can be achieved and saves a lot of aggravation.

#1 Forward root section shows degree of roundness from vac-forming.

#2 Oversized pieces of 0.25mm card glued to root at front and rear (red lines) and strips fitted over/under wing ‘box’ (red dots). The oversize pieces of card enable masking tape to hold card tight against fuselage. The flaps are to be treated separately.

#3 The oversized 0.25mm card pieces/strips (~2mm over) can just be seen, indicated by red dots.

#4 Masking tape butted up to 0.25mm card keeps fuselage clean and wing localised for filler; tape removed on wing only before filler sets; left overnight to set with wing in place.

#5 Port wing, having been removed for sanding etc., is dry fitted.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/90a.jpg

NOTES: (i) The slight gap/roundness which is still visible on the fuselage (at wing box) will be covered by a 5 thou card strip (as with fin), which is as full size acft. (ii) Before carrying out this task, cross bracing pieces were set at centre point, above and below the wing ‘box’, to prevent fuselage flex.

BFN

John

b
  • 2 weeks later...
what scheme/squadron markings will she wear?

Gary, I am now able to answer your question. Unfortunately, I relied on the markings profiles being correct.

- I was originally going for XS903 BA with black spine/fin and overwing tanks – found out it never flew with owts.

- So I then decided to go with XR724 AE with owts. Found out that owts were not fitted until after pilot left 5 Sq, so wrong pilot’s name. Ok, so I go with the same configuration, but with the correct pilot’s name. Next problem – in this configuration it was flying radar trials with BAE, so the ventral gun pack was replaced with ventral fuel tank for range. I was not prepared to take the risk of conversion after fuselage closure.

- The option of doing an ‘earlier’ F.6 that definitely flew with owts, may raise other problems such as cockpit instruments and Mk of seat.

- So finally it’s back to this

XS903tn.jpg

but, with a twist in the tale (not tail, hopefully). You will have to wait to find out ;)

Regards

John