John, Totally AWEINSPIIRNG!!! :salute:

I concur that your maginificent , accurate detailing in second to none....And I cannot even glue MY parts together without doing it more than twice ! :(

Keep up the good work...Look forward to coming back and having a peek again at this...

HOLMES. :( :worship:

Edited by HOLMES
  • 2 weeks later...
I cannot even glue MY parts together without doing it more than twice !

HOLMES.

I thought that was normal. Thanks Holmes.

DONT rush it!

Ooh you are awful. Thanks Dave.

No progress. The yuletide ‘lergies’ are with us and it is real nice. You start off with the sniffles and a slight cough. You progress to constant feeling of nausea, total loss of appetite, cough until your lungs burn during the day, cough all night so you get little sleep, feel totally spent. Did three days on liquids, but 6 days on still cannot face a decent meal.

Life signs are in evidence, but everything else has flat lined.

There is some good news. It is available in all scales and you get the opportunity to lose some weight.

CUin MMIX :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim, thanks for the enquiring. Well glad to see the back of December and January, circumstances having precluded any modelling and knocked me completely out of the zone. To ease myself back into it, I thought I would have a go at the AAR probe. Still to finish re-scribing the fuselage, but…

Although somewhat agricultural, this prominent feature on the F.6 has some interesting detail. The mountings are fixed to the wing for later fitting of the probe.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/97a.jpg

#1 Kit rear housing/fixing, 0.25mm card and filler to ‘square’ faces. Detail removed which is not evident in photos.

#2 Probe tube reduces in dia. before housing; tube tapered and 1.5mm rod to inside of tube.

#3 Kit front fixing (top) is wrong shape; new from scrap resin.

#4 Probe lights unit from scrap resin. To form the spaced lights, first filed out recess, then made a right angle cut in the centre to ‘let-in’ a flat piece of resin. Lights will formed using clear epoxy after painting inside surfaces silver.

#5 Replaced kit tubing with thicker walled Evergreen tube, but probe still showed a tendency to bend with metal nozzle in place. Appropriate sized brass rod to inside.

#6 On completion probe fits in hole drilled in rear housing and to recess in front housing (#3) with metal strap attached to probe.

Unfortunately getting older doesn’t always mean that common sense overrides enthusiasm. Yesterday spent about 45 mins knocking off snow from hedges, shrubs, conifers etc so they would not be damaged by the sheer weight of it, without using gloves. Fingers aren’t in any state to do any scribing for a while.

BFN

John

Edited by John Wolstenholme
b

Been looking at your build from the start John and i'm still astouded by the shear detail you are putting into this Vac' kit :woot.gif: i just hope its going into a nice glass diplay case when its finished, WHEN its finished :monkeydance: keep up the good work.

ian.

That is more involved than I thought...just the refueling probe...The Trumpeter kit looks interesting, but I think the basis the Echelon kit provides is still a bit better (though requiring extra effort and skill (but that's the fun of it).

Keep it up. Can't wait when you apply the paint scheme!

T

John,

It's been few days since I checked back in here. Dude, your model is.......how should I say this......off the hook!!! The detail is super and crisp/clean. I'm loving it brother. Keep it coming cause it's my fix.....lol

Mike

Hello John,

Where did you get the access ladder from ? i wouldn't mind one to build and put with my nearly finished Lightning :bandhead2:

Regards.

ian.

From your posts.......................

The access ladder turned out to be almost a model in itself, some 50 parts later finally got there.

The F/Path PE has some very good detail. However the ‘horizontal stays’ of the ladder attachment to the fuselage are too short, thereby giving the wrong angle. Also, using plastic will enable better assembly.

#1 ‘Sides’ formed from three PE pieces; soldering where possible gives a stronger and neater finish than epoxy or CA. By taping the pieces together (top) with masking tape, tack soldering can then be done at appropriate points so as not to affect any detail. Lower shows ‘side’ after clean-up; edges/gaps to be filled/sealed with thick CA and wet sanded.

#2 Soldered platform step to sides for structural integrity.

#3 New stays from 1mm x 0.75mm section.

#4 Resin disc sandwiched between PE gave a better wheel shape.

76a.jpg

78a.jpg

Hi John,

Just been looking on the Flight Path website and its in their Lightning detail set a bit pricey at £50, only really want the ladder set so i've just emailed Mr. Parkin to see what he says about suppling just the ladder set, fingers crossed as you do :bandhead2:

ian.

Hi Tim, Mike, Marcel, Chuk, Dave. Thank you and delighted to hear from you.

Mike. “your model is.......how should I say this......off the hookâ€Â. This not what they meant when they said I should get some therapy then?

Chuk. Yeah, but blowtorches don’t come any more gorgeous than this. More like leg end!

Dave. You have got everything just perfect, even the snow. Yep, I am going to fall well short of that. Glad you had a good time at Bruntingthorpe.

Ian, should you draw a blank on the FP PE ladder, this may help to scratch build.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/76c.jpg

By the way no display case, tend to be expensive/awkward for storage. For a cheap/practical way of protecting my models, I keep them on the display board in a plastic bag, used dry cleaners for coats etc.

Fingers are almost back to normal, I can feel some scribing coming on.

BFN

John

b

Thanks John, the drawings/measurements will help greatly :worship:

I got a reply from F/Path and they said that the ladders are in the PE set and they are doing the same PE set for the new trumpy Lightning to Trumpys measurements though.

If they get enough enquires about people just wanting the ladders they MAY do them on their own, but i'm the only person who has enquired !! :thumbsup:

I think i might just try and build one :woot.gif:

Made my own front/rear FOD guards and done quite a bit of scratch building so i'll have a blast.

thanks

ian.

I second that Patrick, although apprentices become masters by watching and learning from the masters! I think I'm progressing towards being a master... someday;-). Don't underestimate your own force :thumbsup:

in any event: the ladder is a model in itself! Excellent work.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it’s a welcome back to all of us. Thanks Steve et al.

it's an education

I said it was going to be a learning curve, for me! It has been a test of resolve and problem solving :)

Don't underestimate your own force

Yep, that's what I say :)

It is with great sadness and regret that I announce the completion of the fuselage re-scribing. Like hell :cheers: Until you actually come to do it, you do not realise how much detail Frank Brown incorporated.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/99a.jpg

Found a shortcoming with my scribing tool. For tanks, bombs etc no problems, but with the radar bullet needed to scribe right at the front for the metal cone. A quick mod sorts the problem.

#11 ‘Spacer’ made from two sections of plastic rod, which plugs into the clamp pad. A small drill hole minimises the amount the bullet goes into the spacer and the scriber clears the pad.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/98a.jpg

The next problem I face, is deciding what to do about rivets, not panel screws/fasteners. Me thinks I may be stumped until I get to see one in real life. With it being flush riveted, not sure what you can actually see when it is painted. Have a few other things, with solutions, to be going on with for a while, such as radar bullet, inlet ‘rim’ and pitot tube.

BFN

John

a

Oh boy!!

The fuselage is looking beautiful now John. You're doing a tremendous job with this Lightning. I wonder if the bods at Trumpeter are looking on with envious eyes?

I had a thought regarding your rivets. I use the MDC rivetting tool (both the 1/32nd scale and 1/48th scale versions)...basically a hollow tipped needle. This gives a circle on the plastic surface if pressed lightly but creates a rounded mound if more pressure is applied. Would something like this give you the look you want?

If you don't have (or want to buy) the MDC tool perhaps some capilliary/syringe needle tubing held in a pin vice might give a similar effect?

For a very accurate appearance, use a pin or sewing needle to make a tiny hole in the centre of each circle/mound.

A time consuming but ultimately rewarding exercise.

HTH

Please keep up this lovely work. :whistle:

:wub: