While some people say that they want to throw their kits away when they see stuff like this. I am the opposite. Builds like this and other "Masters of the Craft" inspire me. Gorgeous work there John. Just stunning.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the huge number of requests for the scribing article, really interesting too! It made a welcome distraction/change from modelling and delighted to hear from some of you following the build in the wings.

Hi JackS, Tim, Dave, cemical, Tony, HG, Robert, as always appreciate the interest/support. It doesn’t seem to get any easier, as I found out with the gear doors and some significant work needed to the legs, which I am still pondering over. Cannot wait for some freewheeling downhill.

Accurate ‘D’ and leg door skins (0.25mm card) were first made by shaping to the gear bays.

#1 Vac-formed kit part

#2 ‘D’ door skin (0.25mm card) matched to wing wheel bay.

#3 ‘Rims’ should be square. Roundness removed using 0.25mm card strips and filler. It also reduces the over-wide door lips.

#4 Detail added using 5 thou card and scrap resin after removal of all kit detail.

#5 Fixings added to bay for fixing door after painting/completion of model.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/107a.jpg

#1 Vac-formed inner door thinned by sanding and then separated into 3 sections. Hatched section removed.

#2 Leg door skin (0.25mm card) matched to leg bay.

#3 Using the inner door details from #1, the leg door (#2) cut into 3 sections; new blade/minimal sanding.

#4 Front section of the kit top leg door is much too thin; reformed from scrap resin. Otherwise there is an unrealistic gap between door and wing.

#5 Faceted appearance is a noticeable feature; roundness removed using 0.25mm card/filler and careful sanding to other parts.

#6 Hinge from 5 thou card.

#7 Links between doors from 0.4mm Cu wire; rigid enough to position, but allows adjustment if required when main door is fitted to leg.

#8 Lamp housing formed by drilling plastic rod, working up to final dia. using increasing drill sizes.

#9 Leg doors complete, except for link rod to radius arm

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/108a.jpg

Turns out my spelling of the fastener (Zeus), is apparently spelt Dzus. Thanks Mick, I should have remembered.

BFN

John

Edited by John Wolstenholme
c

Hi Hans, Tim, Marcel and Jack, thanks as always. G’day all and thanks for dropping in. Hopefully you will find this of interest, gave me a few anxious moments (hours). After much deliberation took the plunge with the legs and wheels; a bit drastic but should be worth the effort.

The kit detail is not 'sharp' (although the detail achieved with white metal casting is generally good) and required fairly drastic surgery to remedy. Significant filing/sanding was necessary to get rid of the overall frosted finish.

#1 Original leg, detail marked in red to be removed.

#2 Outside view of original wheel (left) and finished wheel (right) after ‘cleaning’ etc.

[a] recess and air valve re-formed axle is hollow.

#3 Inside of wheel was ground out (red dots) to receive 2.5mm card disc, onto which detail was mounted, giving the finished brake unit detail (right).

#4 Brake unit formed from 0.5mm and 5 thou card, stuck together with CA (red dots) outside the limits of the pieces being formed. Layout on low tack label and punched holes with Waldron Punch set. The two pieces of card were then separated using the 'circles scriber' (described in Scribing Article), leaving the 0.5mm piece to be shaped separately, to give #5. After additional shaping of 5 thou piece, the two pieces were joined, then drilled to for short plastic rod pieces (2 sizes); sanded down to size/thickness in-situ.

#6 Connector block for maxaret unit(?), from scrap resin, required drilling (x3) to receive Cu wire detailing for hydraulic lines etc. In order to hold such a small piece, I taped it front and back to plastic card, my fingers preventing lateral movement and the card preventing downward movement whilst drilling.

#7 Finished bottom leg/wheel. Scissor links etc still to be added.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/109a.jpg

Since I removed all kit reference/fixing positions for MGLs to improve detail, next problem (challenge) is to re-form them in the bays, before adding fine detail to legs – otherwise you know what’s going to happen.

QUESTION. What happens when you exceed your storage in Photobucket. Presumably, all your posted photos disappear, rather than just the 'excess ones' not appearing. What is the difference between Account storage used (7Mb) and Account bandwidth used (58Mb) – apart from 51 that is! Looks as if I am well within anyway.

BFN

John

c

A vast improvement on the wheels and gear!

As to the question you posed: I'm not sure what happens, but I assume you get a free storage up to a certain maximum. Beyond that you probably need to pay for extra storage..or open a second account (a bit like hotmail/msn).

Br,

Tim

QUESTION. What happens when you exceed your storage in Photobucket. Presumably, all your posted photos disappear, rather than just the 'excess ones' not appearing. What is the difference between Account storage used (7Mb) and Account bandwidth used (58Mb) – apart from 51 that is! Looks as if I am well within anyway.

BFN

John

Splendid work John. You certainly raise the bar to dizzy heights with your builds. :taunt:

As to your question, from what I can gather, your Account storage is the amount of data that the account can hold (1 Gigabyte from memory for free accounts) and the bandwith is the amount of data you can upload in a month.

If you uploaded 58x 1Mb pics you'd be at the limit of your bandwith and could n't upload any more without waiting to the end of that month or opening a completely new and different account. HTH

Cheers,

:cheers:

John, your Photobucket storage is the amount (in megabytes) of data you can store in your Photobucket account. Your Photobucket bandwidth is the amount (in megabytes) of data traffic that can be served from your Photobucket account (usually on a monthly basis).

So, 50 photos at 1MB each constitutes 50MB of storage. If 10 people each look at all of your photos, that constitutes 500MB of bandwidth (traffic).

Any clearer?

Kev

Hi Berkut, coneheadff, Tim, Remy, Jeff, always delighted to know that you are out there.

I WILL be comparing!!!

But don’t look too closely. Have a good day.

You certainly raise the bar to dizzy heights

It is just an illusion Guy. The trick is to dip under the bar when nobody is looking :woot.gif:

Any clearer?

Many thanks for that, it is now crystal. Just for my curiosity, if you exceed the bandwidth, presumably your photos will not show until the next month allowance, and if you exceed your storage do all your photos no longer show?

Who needs to build models when you have got this in your front garden? :rolleyes: Took a drive into Cornwall to see this:

C.jpg

B.jpg

Big thanks to Ernie Marshall for allowing me to have a close look at his Lightning to get some remaining details. Who was it that said “A little knowledge is dangerous, too much drives you round the bendâ€. Was it such a good idea to look under the belly? I now know there are a whole load of panels and stuff under there and not just 2 or 3 panels.

BFN

John

Many thanks for that, it is now crystal. Just for my curiosity, if you exceed the bandwidth, presumably your photos will not show until the next month allowance, and if you exceed your storage do all your photos no longer show?

Well, what should happen is that if you exceed your bandwidth, Photobucket replaces your photo with one of their generic images saying 'bandwidth exceeded' or some such. In the second case, your images should still be served, but you won't be allowed to add any more.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Berkut, coneheadff, Tim, Remy, Jeff, always delighted to know that you are out there.

But don’t look too closely. Have a good day.

It is just an illusion Guy. The trick is to dip under the bar when nobody is looking :jaw-dropping:

Who needs to build models when you have got this in your front garden? :wasntme: Took a drive into Cornwall to see this:

C.jpg

B.jpg

Big thanks to Ernie Marshall for allowing me to have a close look at his Lightning to get some remaining details. Who was it that said “A little knowledge is dangerous, too much drives you round the bendâ€. Was it such a good idea to look under the belly? I now know there are a whole load of panels and stuff under there and not just 2 or 3 panels.

BFN

John

John,

I think I might have to visit France and/or the US to get up close to my favorite the Crusader. I agree with you that the best way to know about details is to study one up close yourself. Modelling isn't just about modelling, it's also about studying ;-)

John,

I think I might have to visit France and/or the US to get up close to my favorite the Crusader. I agree with you that the best way to know about details is to study one up close yourself. Modelling isn't just about modelling, it's also about studying ;-)

Yes, isn't it amazing how no matter how much we may pore over detailed photographs, some things never jump out at us until we see them first hand up close and in person.

Big thanks to PhartcrOc for info and his detail photos which you can find here:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/hanbrix/Lightnings/

Hi Karl, thanks and glad you found it of interest.

I think I might have to visit the US

Tim, that’s a bit extreme.

Yes, isn't it amazing how no matter how much we may pore over detailed photographs

one can still balls things up sometimes!

Well my flabber was pretty gasted by the sight of a Lightning in a private garden, but seemingly this must be common place!

While still fresh in my mind I thought I would complete fuselage scribing etc. It was fortuitous that the fit of the F/Path PE ventral fins was so poor. Unaware of the ‘missing’ detail, I would have otherwise fitted these a long time ago and it would then have been a real pain to add.

#1 The panels indicated by the red dots and the semi-circular panel lines to the ventral pack are all that are on the kit. There is a significant amount of missing detail.

#2 To correct the poor fit of the F/Path PE ventral fins, thick card strips were attached, sanded to correct profile and shape for attachment to rear tank.

[a] shows full depth required at the rear shows degree of cross chamfer required for fit at rear.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/110a.jpg

So it’s back to the legs.

BFN

John

c