Great work John, nice to see it with decals on, I think the anti-glare panel looks spot on when compared with your second to last pic with those of the real plane. I've had the build bookmarked for sometime now, but will it be appearing in a mag? I certainly hope so, and if you have the choice go with AIR Modeller, great photography, very classy mag.

Hi John,

It's starting to look the part definitely! You will (have to) cross the finishing line. And I agree with Kage that this needs a place in AIR Modeller (fantastic magazine), or you should be published in the Osprey series. A seperate book on the lightning and your techniques.

Neat trick on the decal lining and the Tamiya tape!!

Struggling myself to finish...waiting for the right ModelMaster Laquer (normal coat, Satin) or the Humbrol one..haven't decided yet..What do you recommend?

Best Tim

Thanks guys, really appreciate all your comments.

I think the anti-glare panel looks spot on when compared with your second to last pic with those of the real plane.

Hi Kage. Went with A, looks as if I should have gone with B. Fortunately, easily correctable, unlike B to A!

Anti-glare.jpg

will it be appearing in a mag?

Why would they want to when it has been published here?

waiting for the right ModelMaster Laquer (normal coat, Satin) or the Humbrol one..haven't decided yet..What do you recommend?

Tim, I used the Humbrol Gloss Cote some years ago. Don’t know whether I got a duff batch, but it never completely dried; had to overspray with something else. Never used it again. I now use: i) Future for gloss, ii) Future : Tamiya X21 (1:12) for satin, Future : X21 (1:5) for matt. Tried 1:3 as some people suggest and you get a frosted effect.

So no one got any observations about differences between two photos of the real thing?

Cheers

John

looks like the outline of the ventral strake has a different colour

there also are two siver lines on the side of the fuselage, behind the cockpit (are these vents?)

Well have been watching this one for some time. Now would be a good opportunity to say ................................................................................

................................................................................

................................................................................

Well just that you commitment to the subject is pretty mind blowing. I think you have picked up enough techincal knowledge on the way to make a real 1:1 scale flying version :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Alex, thanks. What can I say but ------------------------------------- :thumbsup:

Karl, as you know the answers to the question are shown in this photo.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/141a.jpg

It is always good to get back to where you were 2 weeks ago. The ref had to give me a standing count, but I’m back in the fray!

i) Found the anti-glare panel could not be easily corrected as I thought (curved shape falls outside the tapered shape) without repainting the nose/inlet rim again.

ii) Whilst looking for a photo to help with ‘weathering’ to underside, I noticed that the wrap around of wing top colour is incorrectly shown on kit drawings; it is short.

iii) Top wing roundels incorrectly placed by me. Fortunately Frank B had sent me a new decals sheet to redo the over-wing tanks. Thanks Frank that saved the day.

iv) 11 Sq eagle decals have issues, some of which I still need to try to address/correct with a fine paint brush.

v) Thanks to Jim Featherby, Roly Elliott, Hugh Trevor, Stewart Scott, Geedub, AjD (Britmodeller) who helped in my quest to identify the name of the technician on the stbd nose (kit information incorrect) and finally to Notdoneyet who gave conclusion id of the elusive name. Thanks Ian.

Looking at photos of this aircraft general grim and staining are much in evidence to mid/rear fuselage, but I wanted the panel lines etc to be subtle. Subtle takes a little longer to achieve! This is my attempt to produce a realistic representation, photos taken indoors with flash.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/142a.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/143a.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/144a.jpg

With jet pipes, refuel probe and parachute cables fitted, now just have to complete matched ‘weathered’ gear doors and tailplanes, canopy, re-do OWTs, RBFs and make some odds and ends such as chocks and arrestor hook lock.

Well I’m getting there

BFN

John

Edited by John Wolstenholme
c

:nanner:

{~insert hopping from foot to foot with excitement emoticon~}

Oh boy! That looks fabulous John. :wub:

I was struck by how smooth and "in-scale" your paintwork looks, particularly in that right rear three quarter view. The jet pipes are real...I mean totally REAL. The metal finish and soot inside is absolutely convincing :huh:

I'm very fond of models finished with a realistic amount of grime and wear showing so seeing your latest update is very exciting. Just superb :thumbsup:

You mentioned weathering the gear doors which pricked up my ears. Do your references show the exterior of the gear doors to be weathered to the same extent as the surrounding areas? The reason I ask is that on some other aircraft types, the doors actually appear slightly cleaner :unsure: Hope you don't mind me asking the question.

Now she's beginning to get her final character she looks even better (if that were possible) Can't wait for further news in due course.

Stunning work, just absolutely stunning!

The paintwork truly looks magnificent and what's best, at least to my eyes, it's not spoiled by extensive and often a bit unrealistic preshading. Also all the grime and dirt seems to be where it should be, very subtly and realistically.

I take it you thinks it’s looking OK then :wave: - thanks for the words.

You mentioned weathering the gear doors which pricked up my ears. Do your references show the exterior of the gear doors to be weathered to the same extent as the surrounding areas? The reason I ask is that on some other aircraft types, the doors actually appear slightly cleaner ;) Hope you don't mind me asking the question.

Guy, if you are not careful you’ll have me jumping about with your enthusiasm. :) All I have to go on for the underside are some shots in Ian Black’s Lightning (Airlife). You are quite right the doors are not as dirty as the wings to the rear of them. Really meant in terms of related/corresponding areas, rather than intensity. It’s good that someone keeps me on my toes.

....finally really coming together. You MUST be excited

Chuck, it even looks better with owts, in my opinion anyway, almost Klingonistic. It's like being 10 again, if only for a moment!

Cheers

John

John,

This is just great! Jim Peters would've been proud!! Speaking of Jim, I think you're beating me to the finish line...although more work for me today (after a long workweek...).

Are you placing the Lightning in a diorama setting?

Best Tim

Gregg and Marcel appreciate you taking the time to drop in. Marcel, there are always people out there who can do better, but not me :unsure:

Tim, dioramas are not my thing. Below is as far as I want to go.

I originally thought (at least a nanosecond) about making metal (storm) chocks, but decided on the large rubber chocks which were in use. Still good for current RAF jets.

#1 Scrap resin pieces super glued to form block to make four chocks in-one.

#2 Grooves scribed in full piece using Blu-tac to support.

#3 Chocks are basically equilateral triangles with rounded apexes.

#4 Individual chocks drilled for ropes and scribed.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/145a.jpg

Cannot put off the OWTs much longer.

BFN

John

c

John

I have to say that this may just be one of the very best models I have ever seen and I have seen A LOT! Your craftsmanship and techniques have shown just what can be done with forward thinking and massive amounts of talent. You have literally captured the essence of the Lightning on every level.

Thank you for sharing your work sir!!

Cheers

Mike

I take it you thinks it's looking OK then :D - thanks for the words.
OK??? :jaw-dropping:

This is one of those models that I'd love to someday see in person.

If I ever make the trip to the UK you can expect me to track you down and invite myself in to slobber over it (I'll bring beer!)...

:jaw-dropping:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike, much longer haul than even I thought. Thanks for going the distance and your most encouraging comments. Trust you didn’t run out of popcorn :rofl:

Chris, I appreciate your thoughts. Sometimes it is better to stick with the illusion rather than reality, but you’re on ;)

Hi Tim. Trust you too had a good Easter break – assume you meant chocs! :cheers:

Hi Guy and Hawkins. Just to show things are not so flawless, finally got my act together for a significant rework of the OWTs. When compared with the rest of the model these were disappointing. They were the first things I did, before making my circles scriber and developing some techniques i.e. panels were simulated using 5 thou card and without panel screws. Some panels were also incorrect or missing. It is always a bit of a downer when you have to redo something, but these bugged me so doing nothing was not an option.

New territory for me - never had cause to remove a Future coating before! I have read about the use of Windex, which I believe is an ammonia based product. I tried diluted household ammonia and it does not totally/cleanly remove it. It is also suggested to use isopropanol. Why, when it is expensive? Much cheaper methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) works a treat. In the process I also found an additional benefit. The wing roundel decals had been well ‘bedded down’ with Micro Sol and I found it a pain when I had to remove them. Whilst brushing down the tanks with methylated spirits, I noticed decal edges starting to ‘lift’. Further wetting and gentle scraping with my finger nail removed the decals cleanly, without damaging the surface. Please note I am using enamel paints.

So here they are looking a little tatty at the moment having removed paint (W&D) in the areas for re-scribing, but now with all revised detail ready to repaint. Perhaps I should now go for an Artic Lightning!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/146a.jpg

Compare to the first attempt:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/50a.jpg

Finally have all gear doors attached. Of note are the short link rods which connect the horizontal door to the bay roof [A] and small hinged door to the radius arm . This proved somewhat patience testing, but if nothing else this WIP has given me endurance.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/149a.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/147a.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/148a.jpg

Let there be paint.

BFN

John

c