• 2 weeks later...

Hi bingbong, thanks for the bell, and your comments.

Not been a good week, went into town one day, then found the following day I didn't

have any gloss black for Alclad chroming of the NG oleo. Think a bit more forw

ard planning is required!

I've decided to have a go at rebuilding the seat. The kit seat detail is limited by the white metal casting. Also, it will be easier to the fix additional details to plastic.

The basis of the rebuild was: (i) the seat pan reconstructed from card (0.25 sides and front, 0.5mm back and base), (ii) the parachute container reformed from 0.25mm card, using F/Path PE to define sides. NOTE: Head on photo shows it to be rectangular at top, it does not taper in.

The beam/main gun, head box and parachute components to be re-used.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/36a.jpg

Think I may have to go and see a Lightning, before I can proceed with cockpit.

BFN

John

Edited by John Wolstenholme
c

Hello Pete and gunpowder. You are most kind in your comments. They sure give me a lift for those low/frustrating times in modelling.

Some more painfully slow progress – unfortunately I am no Zactoman. It’s just as well I don’t make a living from this, otherwise I would starve.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/37a.jpg

#1 Beam/main gun ‘cleaned-up’ to receive new seat pan and detail.

#2 Head box cleaned-up and shaped to fit new parachute container, epoxied to #1

#3 Seat cushion formed from milliput. Flattened to thickness/cut to size on sellotape; cut-outs filed when set.

#4 Parachute cut/filed from kit container, increased slightly in length and reshaped at top using milliput.

Still to add guillotine, barostat, drogue gun, PEC .....

BFN

John

c
.....don't be so hard on yourself!

Sometimes we are our own worst critic, as you know Guy :D

I can't wait for Trumpeter's in 2014!

So what are you going to do, if you can't wait? ;)

Thought I would post a photo of painted NG bay, instead of the all white plastic rendition shown before,

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/35d.jpg

and completed nose leg gear; wheel and leg finished separately.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/38c.jpg

Starboard view of seat, with face curtain handle, wedge headrest, barostatic unit, PEC cover storage, emergency oxygen bottle etc, PEC details added.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/39a.jpg

Maybe bad news. It has been suggested that the acft I was intending doing, never flew with o/w tanks. Oh.........

BFN

John

c

Hello Steven and Jeff, great to hear from you. If only my patience was exceeded by skill I'd be :)

I must say a big thank you to Lightning guru (and general superstar) Hugh Trevor, for the Lightning photos and details, and to the Tangmere Museum for access. Great historical museum if you haven’t been. All I have to do is translate this info into the cockpit. I’m scratched out at the moment, so I am just thinking about finishing and painting this armchair.

So, here is another zero giant leap forward.

Port view with canopy jettison gun, drogue gun, manual separation handle, forward lever, SP connection details added.

#1 Formed new backrest/lumber cushion from milliput, as before (kit part at left). When cut to size/shape, removed sellotape backing surround and gently pushed into seat to form. Seat ‘lined’ with Scotch Magic tape to prevent mess/sticking.

#2 Buckles from 5 thou card. 1.2mm brass rod filed to 0.4mm x dia rectangular section; heated to make ‘hole’ in card. Cut/sanded to outside to form size/shape.

#3 Straps from double thickness of masking tape (adhesive-adhesive).

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/40b.jpg

These are the F/Path PE seat harness components, when I finally got them free. Not quite sure what’s with part 39 – it will make a great WBC belt!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/41.jpg

I think I am for the guillotine now, so I’ll belt-up!

BFN

John

c

Your work is inspiring a lot of modellers, no doubt.

The new technics I picked up from you will be put in effect in my A-7 project that I started yesterday.

I can't wait to see the Lightning finished!

Edited by Timvkampen
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome to the watch paint dry WIP. Thanks Tim, chukw and janman for your interest and generous encouragement. In reality, taking on this build has shown me just how talented the real master modellers/pattern makers are.

Finally got the seat ready for painting, had a real problem to know what to do with the back pad and straps. Unless you take the shoulder straps up/over the head box (quite normal), the back pad sags forward/down and there is a melee (nightmare) of straps. Could not achieve a totally accurate look, but I am happy with the compromise. Thanks again Hugh for the help.

I did not use the F/Path PE belts as they were clearly not going to conform to a ‘material pose’.

#1 Masking tape cut to a width which would pass through the buckles etc, removed from PE belts, then aligned/stuck to itself. CA was applied to seal edges/surface, using superfine Microbrush, after belts fixed in position; otherwise they are not flexible.

#2 D-ring from stretched sprue, joined with Cu wire in masking tape fixing.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Lightning/43a.jpg

I am primed and ready for technicolo(u)r.

BFN

c

John,

Fantastic seat! A question on your work, how do you cut the small pieces? The buckle made from plastic card, how were you able to cut the hole? I am trying to make a frame for the glass between the front and rear cockpit of the Hawk and I can't seem to get the inside part of the frame right.

Any tips?

Thanks and again love your work.

Wayne Beattie

Hi John,

I was wondering looking at your ejection seat. :thumbsup:

You are right when You say straps are a real melee on those MB seats. I own a real Mirage V Mk4 ,complete and even with the real one at hand I sometime do not know exactly how those straps fit.

Be confident as i think that your representation of that"nightmare melee" is more than accurate when I see the 1/1 one

Nice work Sir:salute:

Hello and thanks for all your support.

Wayne, do you really mean making something as small as a 1.0 x 0.4mm opening? If so, I filed 1.2mm dia brass rod to size, held in a piece of dowel. Using a microburner to heat rod (trial and error to find heat required) to make holes in 5 thou plastic card placed on masking tape on glass. Then cut outside/sanded to finish.

If you mean something bigger, I used this method for slime lights on Hornet

31.jpg

Fixed masking tape on glass with adhesive upwards to secure 5 thou card. Using a new SM No 10A blade, cut out ‘insides’ first, then ‘outside’ to size. I found a head magnifier was essential to get neat cuts ie not over/under cuts. HTH.

Pete, non-starter for 2 reasons: i) don’t know anybody, but more importantly, ii) it would destroy the seat in the process and if I ended up with a poor substitute, it would do my nut in after the time I have spent on it!

BFN

John

Hello and thanks for all your support.

Wayne, do you really mean making something as small as a 1.0 x 0.4mm opening? If so, I filed 1.2mm dia brass rod to size, held in a piece of dowel. Using a microburner to heat rod (trial and error to find heat required) to make holes in 5 thou plastic card placed on masking tape on glass. Then cut outside/sanded to finish.

If you mean something bigger, I used this method for slime lights on Hornet

31.jpg

Fixed masking tape on glass with adhesive upwards to secure 5 thou card. Using a new SM No 10A blade, cut out ‘insides’ first, then ‘outside’ to size. I found a head magnifier was essential to get neat cuts ie not over/under cuts. HTH.

Pete, non-starter for 2 reasons: i) don’t know anybody, but more importantly, ii) it would destroy the seat in the process and if I ended up with a poor substitute, it would do my nut in after the time I have spent on it!

BFN

John

An impressive work,John!!.I like to see that you have paid attention to every single detail of the plane and even being a large scale,you´re doing a fantastic detail work.I only can say,AMAZING!!!

Only one question,are you engineer??? :thumbsup:

Regards.

I.Martin

Thanks John,

It was the larger piece of work that I was really asking about. I don't think I will be cutting anything that small, like the buckles. Agian thanks for the tips and I will give it a try.

Wayne