1:48 WW1 kits - budget options??

Hi all,

In comparison to the somewhat more expensive Roden / Eduard 1:48th WW1 kits, how do the much cheaper SMER / Revell offerings stack up? I know that some types are not available as El Cheapo offerings, but for example, SMER and Revell both do a 1:48 Sopwith Camel and Fokker DVII which would be a starting point for a sojourn into 1:48 having only worked in 1:72 thus far, but would I end up with a realistic and accurate replica or is some work required to get to that point?

I recently did a quick build of a Revell 1:48th Camel for my sons ceiling and to my untutored mind it all felt a bit chunky and not quite "frail" enough looking when complete, is that fair comment?

Cheers

Matt

The Revell kits are not too bad but like you say they are not as nice as newer offerings - detail and such is a bit clunky. I believe both the Revell and SMER are slightly reworked aurora moulds - done ages ago.

My recommendation would be to check out the Eduard "Weekend Edition" versions of their kits - they run around $10-$15 USD if I recall. Same plastic parts as their more expensive kits, just not as many decal options or any extra photoetched bits. If I recall they have a couple Albatros, Pfaltz and Nieuport in this series.

The Revell kits (and SMER copies) date from back in the 60's. And all that implies. So yes, unfortunately, pretty much all the kits are similarly 'chunky'.

For budget options, there aren't a whole lot. You're pretty much stuck with Eduard and Roden. Dragon did a few WWI kits, but they're long OOP, so you're not saving money there. Your best bet is to look for cheaper sources for the existing kits. Roden can be found much more cheaply from Eastern European stores (Jadar being one). Eduard occasionally clearances much of their old inventory, with some great bargains - check Great Models to see if they've still got any good deals. Eduard's Weekend series of kits is also good - no PE, one decal option, $10 - 15.

Well let's get the history correct at least

All of the older "chunky" kits started out as Aurora kits.

Surprisingly some of these kits are fairly nice, easy and relatively accurate for their age, esp the reworked K&B big square white box editions.

They have been re popped by Merrit in the UK and some of the older dies are showing up as SMER kits

Three of the Aurora kits were reworked by Monogram in the 80's were the Camel, Fokker D-VII and SE-5.

These have been repoped by revel and hasegawa.

They are EXCELLENT inexpensive beginners kits!

One source not mentioned was Glenco's slight rework and repop of many of the Aurora kits. Again a good starter place for kids.

Thanks for the info guys, especially the info on the Eduard weekend editions, which by the looks of things come in at around £7 from Hannants which ain't too bad at all, a price I'm willing to go to while test the water anyway!

Reckon an Albatros DIII might be the first effort

Cheers

Matt

• 1 month later...

I had a moment of madness and built the Revell SE5A. Considering the comments I've heard I was pleasantly surprised. It did need filler, it did need additional scratch-built detail, but I enjoyed building it.

I have the Fokker D.VII as well, bought cheaply to use as a rigging practice piece. As such, it's ideal, as the basis for a model it needs more work than the SE5A did. Message is beware, some better than others.