FOD covers for jet intakes

I have a Monogram 1:48 Sabre in my stash, and the other day it poked its head out of the loft and yelled "Build me next!" (metaphorically speaking). The kit is good for its day and still reasonable, albeit needing a bit more effort than the Academy or Hasegawa offerings.

The main issue I have is that the air intake and jet pipe have little depth. My options are: (1) scratch-build an intake trunking, re-working the kit nosewheel bay and cockpit to accomodate same, and then scratch up a jet pipe the other end; (2) Find some suitable aftermarket; (3) Paint the interiors black, shading and blending out to the intake lip; (4) a set of FOD covers.

(1) is far too much effort, I prefer painting to building any day. (2) would undoubtedly cost more than the kit, even if I could find such items. (3) is OK, but not really my preferred option, which is (4): simple to knock up from some plastic card and (as FOD covers are usually red) colourful.

So I naturally wondered if this would be historically authentic, which then led me to wonder when FOD guards became commonplace in the RAF's, and indeed other Air Arms', operations. Was it more or less from the days of the E28/39, or was it later as a result of operational experience? Can anyone enlighten me, and better still point me in the direction of a good photo or two of RAFG Sabres?

TIA,