Thinning Aeromaster Enamel Paints

I have a jar of long OOP Aeromaster enamel Neutral Grey that's gotten pretty thick. When I've used lacquer thinner in the past, added directly to the paint bottle to thin down the paint, almost universally (well, the two times I've done it anyway) within a couple of days the paint just goes solid. Clearly Aeromaster doesn't like lacquer thinner in the long term, though it works great for spraying. Anyone know a thinner that works well with Aeromaster for paint renewal and storage?

I have a jar of long OOP Aeromaster enamel Neutral Grey that's gotten pretty thick. When I've used lacquer thinner in the past, added directly to the paint bottle to thin down the paint, almost universally (well, the two times I've done it anyway) within a couple of days the paint just goes solid. Clearly Aeromaster doesn't like lacquer thinner in the long term, though it works great for spraying. Anyone know a thinner that works well with Aeromaster for paint renewal and storage?

I'm no expert David, but my understanding is that most paints don't survive long-term thinning, as it compromises the way the pigment is suspended in the carrier. There are some guys here who seem to really know their stuff with regard to paints, and I'm sure they can provide a much more knowledgeable answer than I (and probably prove me wrong :coolio: ).

Kev

David,

The old AeroMaster paint was manufactured by Floquil. You might want to try some of the new Floquil thinner or the Testors thinner. Neither one is near as hot as laquer thinner and probably is closer to what was in the original mix.

HTH,

Dave

Many times, what you use the thin paints isn't actually a component of the paint, and if you keep it mixed up, you could ruin the paint over time. I usually only thin the paint in a separate container, and try not to mix up more than needed, and discard any leftover thinned paint.

I've got bottles of MM enamel that were thinned with off the shelf hardware store paint thinner that are over 15 years old and still useable. It's the seal on the bottle that determines what happens inside.

MTC

YMMV