i have that kit but i've had bad luck with academy decals so i'd like to avoid using them ;)

EDIT: oh by the way, i noticed you're from juarez mexico :) i used to live in el paso, have gone to juarez quite often to visit friends+extended family

Edited by BjornB17

Yeap, Academy decals are kinda tricky, but nothing that a good junk of solvaset can fix :P

Oh really? so you were a neighbor? El Paso is a nice city to live in, but I prefer my good old Juarez..... :thumbsup:

Ivan

Yeap, Academy decals are kinda tricky, but nothing that a good junk of solvaset can fix :P

Oh really? so you were a neighbor? El Paso is a nice city to live in, but I prefer my good old Juarez..... :thumbsup:

Ivan

yep, i moved away in december 2006 because i got a job here in san antonio, but i miss it a lot. the people in el paso/juarez are a lot nicer i think!

anyway, here's a pic of my mig-21 so far! after 2 days the main construction is done!

Plane309.jpg

i have that kit but i've had bad luck with academy decals so i'd like to avoid using them :blink:

So maybe this one will be interesting for you:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/ISL/...G21/HD48001.htm

BTW: "white 29" is a SMT with bigger spine - Academy MF is in fact a Bis - so for example "yellow 01" could be done without any conversion...

Cheers

Diego

So maybe this one will be interesting for you:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/ISL/...G21/HD48001.htm

BTW: "white 29" is a SMT with bigger spine - Academy MF is in fact a Bis - so for example "yellow 01" could be done without any conversion...

Cheers

Diego

is the paint scheme of "yellow 01" the same as in the picture i linked, or is it different? Any pictures by any chance?

thanks!

is the paint scheme of "yellow 01" the same as in the picture i linked, or is it different? Any pictures by any chance?

thanks!

The MiG-21 bis "yellow 01" has a 2 color "European" scheme on the uppersurfaces (tan and green). The MiG-21 SMT "white 29" has an earlier 4 color scheme (2 x green, brown and tan). Photos of this MiG-21bis have been published in the early '90 as it was in service in the Ukrainian AF. A similar - if not the same - scheme has been seen on "blue 02" at Kubinka, for example.

Cheers

Diego

• 3 weeks later...

i had to put down several coats of future and then use tamiya tape.

the first time i tried to just spray the gun metal and mask but it lifted off easily. even with the future it's still fragile, but worked out much better

• 3 months later...
I just realized this group build is ending next month. I better finish my model!!

plane442.jpg

Thanks for the update! I was waiting for it...

Did you have any problems fitting the wings to fuselage? (W T F :D )

Becuase mine leave big gaps to be filled... :thumbsup:

Edit oh, and are you planning to do the box version?

Edited by Su-34
Thanks for the update! I was waiting for it...

Did you have any problems fitting the wings to fuselage? (W T F :D )

Becuase mine leave big gaps to be filled... :blink:

Edit oh, and are you planning to do the box version?

LOL... wings to fuselage = ***!! That's usually what i'm thinking when i have a big gap left over on most of my models!!

there was a slight gap. I king of winged it (no pun intended) and applied liquid glue (testors liquid cemet or whatever its called, in the little glass bottle with brush applicator). That stuff seems to work great for filling in small gaps.

I plan on doing the box version if i can get these academy decals to work. I've been practicing with the decals included on the academy sheet for the other air forces and if i have luck with them, then i'll use them.

Looks very good so far!

But be careful: if you are building the Academy MiG-21 MF OOB, then you will end with a nice rendering of a MiG-21Bis , so the markings from the box will not be really accurate...

Cheers

Diego

Edited by Diego
Mhmm, nice!

Can you later then show, what colours to the bang seat? Thanks! :D

Good morning, and i should too get back to my MiG :D

based on the limited photos i could find of one, i painted the seat as follow:

sides + headrest - light ghost gray

cushion - olive drab

belts - black.

It's probably wrong, so good thing the canopy will be closed!