Yeah, another Acc. Min. IL-2m3, OOB

I'm still not ready to accept the decals on my I-16 build are totally boned, so I'm starting this as a denial/coping skill kinda thing.

Mike Horrell was kind enough to send me a replacement seat from his spares box all the way in Panama, so I'm back in the game:

IL-2m3.jpg

Again, another OOB build with aftermarket Accurate Miniatures decals I found in my LHS. It'll be a winter camo'ed 237th Assault Regiment plane, so I'll get to do one of those crappy looking Soviet white planes :D And in case you're wondering, the heavy editing is Mike's tips sheet, edited because he didn't exactly write that with Prime Time in mind (he's not too favorable on some fit issues...).

So it's under way finally. Keeping it OOB should ensure completion by the end of September :cheers:

Ken

Little update-fuselage is together. The cowl fit wasn't as bad as I was warned to watch for, but the gunner's "seat" was a bit of a misfit. The pegs in the end didn't line up with the holes, so I set it in place and hit it with some glue:

IL-2m3002.jpg

Ploddin' along...

Ken

Thanks Jay!

No, that's a robbed part for the Hyperscale group build. The reconditioning of that particular one (a J) will likely be after retirement, unless they never rerelease the J kit again...which is unlikely :blink:

Ken

My first real "complication"-gaps in the lower wing-to-fuselage. Rather than deal with the details in front, I mounted it fully forward:

IL-2m3004.jpg

A little Evergreen styrene and it's closed up:

IL-2m3005.jpg

This'll be much easier to clean up.

Ken

Aaaaaaaaaand painted:

Il-2m3027.jpg

Il-2m3028.jpg

Il-2m3026.jpg

Colors by Model Master. Looks awfully British, eh wot? Not too concerned about the upper colors however-it's just the contrast I'm looking for on this one. Haven't decided if I'm going to whitewash this first, or decal first.

Ken

Looks good. I used the same paints on an IL-2 I did a few years ago but I ended up fading the MM underside Russian blue quite a bit. After reading some of the information on the VVS site it seems the bright blue is probably accurate though.

Edited by David Walker

And painted again:

IL-2m3031.jpg

IL-2m3030.jpg

It took three tries with a brush and some Winsor & Newton acrylic white (with a touch of black and burnt sienna) before I got what I was looking for, and I airbrushed it at work today. Decals sometime this week...

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

And I'm callin' it done:

IL-2m3032-1.jpg

IL-2m3035.jpg

IL-2m3034.jpg

IL-2m3036.jpg

The white didn't work out as planned-it didn't want to come off! That's OK I guess-I suppose not all Soviet whitewash fell off. And I painted the spinner red just to liven it up, and I didn't want to whitewash it.

That was my last one. I'll get better pics next week, but as our web master is away I'm not going to sweat it. Now I get to sit back and watch all the great work happening on this group build :cheers:

Ken

Edited by WymanV

Looks good, Ken!

So, having built one, would you build another? Has the sheer funkiness of the IL-2 grabbed you or was one enough? I've built 3 and I'm debating whether to redo them (all were damaged to some extent in the move) or build replacements from scratch.

When I did the first one, I didn't know that the 3 toned scheme on the box was wrong and every time I look at it it bugs me.

You did a fine job and if you need more spares, let me know..

:)

Thanks guys!

Given an interesting color scheme or story, I'd build another. Thanks to your trailblazing Mike, this one gave me little trouble once I got past that missing seat (still haven't found it...). I do have a question about the landing gear sit, but we'll discuss that another time.

Final pics:

IL-2m3040.jpg

IL-2m3037.jpg

IL-2m3041.jpg

Ken