JASDF F-15s to Okinawa

Hi all.

That was an old rumor, but it seems that it will finally happen. With China growing stronger, JASDF will replace its Phantoms for Eagles, aiming to bolster the souther area of the country.

The change should be completed by 2008, 302SQ F-4s being based in Hyakuri AB by then. 204SQ from the latter base is the Eagle outfit chosen to be based in Naha AB.

:boohoo:

Hi Tengu,

You speak about a new unit location or the fielding of "new" eagles ?

Do u get more infos about the F-15 kaï updates. Japan wants the F-22 but seems to need a stopgap...

Friendly,

C6

Speaking of Okinawan F-4s, there used to be a very good Japanese website with absolutely awesome pictures of F-4EJ Kais based on Okinawa. I think the webmaster must be either a pilot or a navigator on the F-4 cos many of the shots were in-flight.

Sadly I can't seem to find that website anymore. He has either closed down or moved. And no, it's not F-4ej.com.

Edit:

actually, anyone know what happened to www.f-4ej.com? He seems to have closed down too. :woot.gif:

Edited by JackMan
You speak about a new unit location or the fielding of "new" eagles ?

Do u get more infos about the F-15 kaï updates. Japan wants the F-22 but seems to need a stopgap...

Hi, C6.

Sorry for my poor english.

I meant just two squadrons swapping places. 204SQ will go to 83AG, Naha AB, and its place in 7WG, Hyakuri AB, will be taken by 302SQ with its Phantoms.

No 'new' Eagles :coolio:

About the F-15 Kai, the development of the bird continues as scheduled, 2nd prototype having joined the 1st one in ADTW about 3 months ago (wonder if they will soon be wearing the 'new' outfit marking :D :D ). Not sure or this, but feel there's a

112.3 billion Yen Defense Budget Request for 32 such Kai machines

Speaking of Okinawan F-4s, there used to be a very good Japanese website with absolutely awesome pictures of F-4EJ Kais based on Okinawa. I think the webmaster must be either a pilot or a navigator on the F-4 cos many of the shots were in-flight.

Sadly I can't seem to find that website anymore. He has either closed down or moved. And no, it's not F-4ej.com.

Hey JackMan. I think you mean mr.Shamu's site, don't you?

You're right. That was really a GREAT site but, sadly, it was closed down just like mr. Suematsu's :cheers: :P

Edited by tengu

Hi guys,

Thanks for the news Tengu ! And don't worry for your english, mine's still worst than yours !!!!! :worship:

Could u post here the adresses of your favorites JASDF's links ??? I've got the bad feeling that I miss a lot of gorgeous pix ! :)

Friendly,

C6

Tengu,

Thanks for the information. Almost some 17 years ago my first duty station was at Kadena. I got the chance to participate is several real world scrambles when Naha F-4EJs would scramble out of Kadena when they would pull temporary alert there.

Now I am wondering why it is now that JASDF has decided to swap out squadrons and equipment on Okinawa as the US up to 50+ F-15Cs stationed at Kadena under the security treaty.

That being said I now remember that the Air Force has proposed Kadena as one of the first overseas bases to receive the new F-35. The F-35 will fly general purposes missions with an emphasis on air to ground. So I don't know if this may or may not been part of the decision with JASDF upgrading it's southern air defense sector.

Hey JackMan. I think you mean mr.Shamu's site, don't you?

You're right. That was really a GREAT site but, sadly, it was closed down just like mr. Suematsu's :D :crying2:

Yeah, that's the one! Mr.Shamu! The name had escaped me :doh: Man, I loved his photo-book quality pictures. My favourite ones were the ones that showed the F-4EJ aircrew sitting in their cockpits with the canopies open and their arms hanging loose over the side...almost as if they were enjoying the Okinawan breeze :D . Here's a couple I managed to save so long ago (copyright Mr. Shamu):

F4SHK001.jpg

F4SHK002.jpg

Can't help thinking that growing security threats from Japan's neighbours had something to do with their closing down :crying2:

Edited by JackMan

Fanakit, my pleasure :D

C6, the problem is that I only saved some of the many MANY pictures that Shamu-san had. And this was several years ago. They're not on my hardisk anymore as I had made backups on CD/DVD. The thing is, because this was done several years ago, I have to search through my large CD/ DVD back-up collection to see where the pics are. :wacko: And that would take ages.

I'll see what I can find whenever I'm free.

I really wish Mr. Shamu will put his pics back online again :D

Edited by JackMan
Now I am wondering why it is now that JASDF has decided to swap out squadrons and equipment on Okinawa as the US up to 50+ F-15Cs stationed at Kadena under the security treaty.

Hi, siesta3.

My guess is that Phantoms are getting too old to face the Chinese down there and, even if the US are there to lend a hand if necessary, Japan still wants a 'home' force to defend its territory.

That said, Eagles for Phantoms in AA missions is a good change, but 302SQ has a secondary AG/AS task for wich I feel the Phantom is best suited (for AS missions it can carry ASM-2 missiles wich I believe Eagles can't do...). Perhaps an F-2 outfit would be a better choice??

:D

Edited by tengu

Cool JackMan....no stress !

Thanks mate.

C6

Fanakit, my pleasure :D

C6, the problem is that I only saved some of the many MANY pictures that Shamu-san had. And this was several years ago. They're not on my hardisk anymore as I had made backups on CD/DVD. The thing is, because this was done several years ago, I have to search through my large CD/ DVD back-up collection to see where the pics are. :wacko: And that would take ages.

I'll see what I can find whenever I'm free.

I really wish Mr. Shamu will put his pics back online again :D

Great pictures!! It nice to see so many operational F-4 lined-up for take-off. Is Japan now the largest F-4 operator?

F-22J. :banana:

Chappie

Hi, Chappie.

Dunno how many are around in other countries, but here's a list of SDF birds by 31/03/2007. 91 EJ/EJ Kai -84 of the latter type- still remain operational (there are a few airframes stored in Komaki, about 12 as I recall), along with 22 RF-4E/EJ (I thought there were 12 RF-4Es plus 15 RF-4EJs but looks like I've 'lost' 5 somewhere... :( )

clicky

:nanner:

Edited by tengu