A-10A Hobbyboss 1/48

Finally got chance to take a few pics today, so here's how things stand right now.

futwash1.jpg

futwash2.jpg

futwash3.jpg

futwash4.jpg

futwash5.jpg

For painting the camo I created a mask using an enlarged copy of the snow hog scheme. I painted the green and grey then masked those areas using the photocopied plan with the white sections cut out. Later I went back over the edges of the white freehand to soften them slightly

The whole thing was then futured and decals applied. I had to make the 'AK' on the tail fins by cutting up the 'NE' decals supplied with the kit, hence the slightly skewed edges. I am also making a decal for the 'H' in front of the refuelling door since the kit one is white and will not show up.

I've used Phil Flory's excellent weathering wash over the whole aircraft (this stuff is so easy to use, everyone should get some).

Next step is to add the front part of the canopy and landing gear.

:D

Sweet stuff Greenie :D

Think I might have missed it...but what decals did you use in this build? :huh:

Anthony

Nearly all the decals used so far have been the standard kit ones.

The only exceptions to that are the modified 'AK' tail fin marking (which started out as 'NE' from the kit decal sheet) and the two stars and bars behind the cockpit which came from an old 1/72 F-22 Airfix set.

I'm also in the process of making a decal for the H in front of the refuel door but haven't fitted this yet.

Edited by Green-Meanie
Looking good. Sorry if you already mentioned it, was wondering what weapons are you planning to put onto your A-10?

Not sure yet. There's a good selection with the kit though, so seeing as this is kind of a 'what if' snow hog getting ready for action I'll probably give it a good mix.

Suggestions welcome though. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Green-Meanie,

I got no words...

That's incredible. What a stunning build !

I like your camovery much and might think twice before I deal with my own A-10A (I have 1/32 the Trumpeter kit).

Awe inspiring, welle done chap !

Am looking forward 2 seeing more

Best regards,

Richard

Edited by Kerojp8
  • 1 month later...

Been a while but here's an update folks. Lots of little fiddly things been done, and still to be done hence the slow progress.

front1.jpg

Got the flaps and ailerons/decelerons painted. They are not actually attached permanently yet but will be.

Nav lights, laser pod and other various antennae attached and/or painted.

Front part of canopy attached and painted. Main canopy still has a little detail work to do before its done.

flaps1.jpg

front2.jpg

Landing gear painted and has been attached since these pics were taken.

maingear1.jpg

maingear2.jpg

A few more little jobs to do here and there but the end of the road is in sight, at least for the aircraft. Then I just have to make a display base for it.

:banana:

Very nice progress GM :blink:

Did all that detail come on the HB gear leg? or did you add anything?

AW

I've changed the two hydraulic lines (brake lines?) from the plastic originals to copper wire but everything else you see is from the kit.

I have also fitted an extra wire since the pictures were taken. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The end is near.

Flat coat applied, flaps and ailerons fitted, access ladder fitted, pitot tube (made from a pin dipped in CA) fitted and a few other minor details added.

Just need to do the ejector seat and pilot and attach the canopy, weapons and some final touches and that'll be about it. :salute:

flatfront.jpg

pitottube.jpg

rbftag.jpg

maingear3.jpg

canopy-1.jpg

map.jpg