Trip report - Moscow/MAKS 2007

If anyone is interested, I have just loaded up a trip report of my recent visit to Moscow for MAKS 07.

We also visited the Samara State Aerospace University and the Engels aviation museum at Saratov.

The report is at :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/moscow_2007.html - and it is very photo intensive.

Here's a few to whet your appetite........

day03_041.jpg

day04_001.jpg

day05_014.jpg

day06_009.jpg

day07_030.jpg

Any feedback regarding factual or spelling errors, missing links etc would be welcomed..

Enjoy.

Ken

Nice report, Ken! Thanks for sharing! ;)

This shot is AWESOME! Like some prehistoric, gigantic bird of prey squatting down to leap into the air again, eyes fixed on the prey! With the sun glinting off of its beak and the rather dark background it looks rather menacing.... Seriously wow!

day03_066.jpg

The Flanker flare-firing shot above is also great!

Since you asked for feedback regarding factual errors, the "Valentine" tank in the "In and around Moscow" section is actually a Matilda II.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Well, really interesting.

Any feedback regarding factual or spelling errors, missing links etc would be welcomed..

You asked for it... :D

1st, Saratov is Saratov while Engels is not - it's a separate town and locals would be quite upset (well, wanted to use a stronger expression but the filter intervened :)) hearing they are the same :D Don't ask me how I know. :)

2nd, the "Mi-2" helicopter on http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/mos2007_day07.html is in fact Mi-1

Edited by Helmsman
Well, really interesting.

You asked for it... 1st, Saratov is Saratov while Engels is not - it's a separate town and locals would be quite upset (well, wanted to use a stronger expression but the filter intervened :)) hearing they are the same Don't ask me how I know. :)

Thanks Helmsman.

We did cross the Volga from Saratov to Engels!!

The whole visit was to Saratov - with a 'side trip' to Engels - so I'll leave it as it is - unless the people of Engels get too upset. :D

Actually, I'll change it to 'Saratov & Engels' :D

2nd, the "Mi-2" helicopter on http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/mos2007_day07.html is in fact Mi-1

Doh! :)

I'll correct it - I plead old age !

Thanks once again.

Ken

You're most welcome!

Did you happen to see Gagarin's Yak-18? I don't remember whether it is still in the local museum or moved to the Victory park along with the Yak-1.

I did shoot off a quick photo of a Yak-18 in amongst the trees at Victory Park - we were in a hurry though as we had another place to visit and flight to catch .....................

It is pale grey with a red stripe down the side and red trim - it has the code 'white 01'.

Is this the one ???

Ken

Many thanks for putting together a photo log of your trip. Fascinating, Flankerman. Much appreciate the candids scattered thoughout. Spotters really are humans!

Rick in Maine.

Sir, you insult me !!! :o

I am not a spotter - I am am 'aviation enthusiast' :coolio:

My seconds will be in touch......... :cheers:

Seriously though, I don't write down numbers - so I don't consider myself a 'spotter'

The name has a bit of a negative connotation here in the UK - I've been on a few trips with them - and they are mostly OK - but they can be a bit of a pain at times in their quest for that elusive con number!

It is usually the 'spotters' that get arrested - us enthusiast/historians behave ourselves! :D

They are sometimes useful though - especially the ones that can read a reg number at 50,000ft!

Ken

Ken, you make big ride, so many intersting photos.

It was so intresting see you in Moskow, of course my English is not super good, i hope i'l talk better in 2009.

My two cent's:

this photo - badge from one of RuAF repair plant.

I did shoot off a quick photo of a Yak-18 in amongst the trees at Victory Park - we were in a hurry though as we had another place to visit and flight to catch .....................

It is pale grey with a red stripe down the side and red trim - it has the code 'white 01'.

Is this the one ???

Ken

I afraid it was another one. According to http://yak18.boom.ru/sar/sr003.jpg Gagarin flew No. 6

Edited by Helmsman

Awesome! :D

EDIT: Whats the situation with Tu-124 in Monino? Has it been repaired? And, was the airliners row open?

EDIT2: http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/mos2007_day05.html "...which was backed into place. Note the yellow zap - from RIAT >>>200<<< when it was held at RAF Cottesmore."

Edited by Su-34
Ken, you make big ride, so many intersting photos.

It was so intresting see you in Moskow, of course my English is not super good, i hope i'l talk better in 2009.

Andrey,

It was great to meet with you and the guys (Sergei - and I forgot the other guys name - the 'scientist?) - thanks for the decals sheets - and the T-shirt - I wore it to the Moscow Model Club on Monday evening!

I wish my Russian was as good as your English - at least I could understand you.

Pity we could not meet again on Friday or Saturday - but we always get back to the hotel late - it is such a busy trip, no time for relaxing!

See you in 2009 - or maybe next year - the group I go with is thinking about trying to go to bases/museums etc in the south of Russia as well as Gelendzhik - so maybe we can try to include Rostov-on-Don - if we can get into the Rostvertol plant or museums in the area??

My two cent's:

this photo - badge from one of RuAF repair plant.

I got the information about that badge from an article by Piotr Butowski in Air Forces Monthly magazine - he reckons it is 223 OSAP (Otdelnyi Smeshannaya Aviatsionnyi Polk/Independent Composite Air Regiment)

He also mentions 223rd LO (Lyotnyi Otriad VTA/Air Detachment of VTA) in another table.

I don't think it is the badge of 223 ARZ ????

Best wishes

Ken

PS - Have you done a decal sheet for the new Su-35 yet ??? :thumbsup:

Edited by Flankerman
Awesome! :blink:

EDIT: Whats the situation with Tu-124 in Monino? Has it been repaired? And, was the airliners row open?

The Tu-124 had a canvas cover over it - the airliners row is still behind the fence - but as a group, we were allowed onto the grass - although I don't remember anyone venturing over to the airliners and the wrecks at the back.

EDIT2: http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/mos2007_day05.html "...which was backed into place. Note the yellow zap - from RIAT >>>200<<< when it was held at RAF Cottesmore."

As it says on the zap - 2000 :thumbsup:

The runways at Fairford were being re-surfaced - so the RIAT show moved to Cottesmore for that year.

Regards

Ken

Ken -

What an excellent collection of photos - one of these days I have to make a similar photographic expedition!

In the mean time - I'm happy to view the photos you posted - thanks for sharing.

and . . . Oh, BTW - watch out for those Hip Replacements . . . I've heard they're painful. :thumbsup:

ATB -

- Rip -

P.S. - Ever cross paths with Bob Archer?

I know someone who ventured there on Saturday :cheers:

:cheers:

I even know someone who got a piece of c'pit as a souvenier...

Seb, when can we expect to see your photos? Mine should be ready early next week.

Edited by Zmey Smirnoff

It was two of my friends in this day in this cafe, Igor - air traffic controller, Nikolai - professor of phisics in one of university. IMG_0100.jpg

About badge - yes, my mistakes - its regiment badge, which put on a/c on air repair factory.

Ans BTW - yes, we can meet in Gelengjik next summer.

new Su-35 decals - why not, our demo-Flankers decal was ready before i'd see this a/c, but i can add this variation in our future realised "Russian Knigts" decals as extra variation.

Edited by kotey

:soapbox: Hello Ken,

Stunning pics you took of your trip. Many thanks for sharing them with us all. Hopefully in 2009 I will be able to join the tour. The colours of the Russian airlines are as striking as those of the west. The one I liked most of all from all the airliners were the Tu-134s of Meridian. Also the immaculate An-2 floatplane. There are a lot of potential model schemes in your pics, a fairly easy conversion (although it would need two kits, or a bit of scratchbuilding) would the little Polikarpov DIT. Again, thank you for your generosity

:deadhorse1:,

Ross.

:)

I even know someone who got a piece of c'pit as a souvenier...

Seb, when can we expect to see your photos? Mine should be ready early next week.

yea! can you imagine stepping into a Hind that was at the wrecks in the back? that would be soo cool!! :)

Shark

• 3 weeks later...