How do you get the rough texture on USN/USMC Bombs?

Hi all,

I have been wondering this for a while now, on Navy bombs they have that rough texture, whats the best way to do that? For those who have no idea what i am talking about, this is what i am talking about. I have a few projects in the works for navy and Marines birds and i normally just paint the bombs grey, well no more i want to go that one step further.

Cheers for looking

Pat

I scribed a line around the bomb where the tail attaches to keep the cement from going across and then daubed on a couple of coats of liquid cement. After it evaporated a little but while the plastic was still softened I tapped it with an old toothbrush to raise some texture. After it hardend a couple of days I sanded it just a little to knock off the highest points. That may or may not be necessary depending on how much you raise it with the toothbrush.

>PICTURE<

Another thing that might work, I used some textured spray paint to create a cast iron effect on the exhaust manifold for a 1/4 scale HEMI.

I used RustOleum Terracotta spray paint. It has a grainy finish that might work for the ablative coating in 1/72. I will try it the next time I'm doing somthing in that scale.

Hi all,

I have been wondering this for a while now, on Navy bombs they have that rough texture, whats the best way to do that? For those who have no idea what i am talking about, this is what i am talking about. I have a few projects in the works for navy and Marines birds and i normally just paint the bombs grey, well no more i want to go that one step further.

Cheers for looking

Pat

I use the textured Spray paint called Fabric Gray from Testors...it works really well and its pretty close in color comparison with the greys used on USN/USMC bombs

I have not used it but I was told to mix some fine talc in the paint.

Julien

I hadn't thought about using it on modern bombs (I tend to model airplanes with props and "real" engines"), but use it on the exhaust systems (exhaust pipes and mufflers) on 1/35 armor. Don't see why it wouldn't work on iron bombs for a/c. Paint the bomb the color you want it to be, and while still wet, sprinkle the talc over it. If touch up is required (sometimes the talc will stick but not absorb the paint, remaining white), use a very fine brush and gently apply well thinned paint of the same color. If you decide you want a rougher surface, try baking soda instead of talc.