Cesium and 6% uranium pellets. Suspect arrested.

1.5 kilograms of HEU. suspect arrested.

Illich Nuclear Materials Theft (Nuclear Warhead Offer)[/url]

Same as above. Did you actually read any of these? I know it was long time ago, but the topic was weapons . I'll keep on reading though, I'm sure its coming.

Nope. No weapons here either.

Ridiculous fairy tale or no evidentiary value. Someone was watching too much 007. All nuclear weapons are catalogued and regulated under SALT 1 and 2. No suitcases there.

Annual Report on Safety and Security of Russian Nuclear Weapons, Facilities, and Materials

of note:

Better stop that highlighted part, apparently we're not very good at it.

Do as you please, but I'm glad you finally found a worthy document that isnt a National Inquierer or a soft news rag. Note, not a word about mystical suitcase bombs allegedly missing on the Annual Report. If you dig deeper you wont find them being mentioned on the previous reports either. And since you introduced this document into allow me to quote something as well.

--------------------------

In October 2002, former Minister of Atomic Energy Adamov stated, "Neither Bin Ladin nor anyone else could steal a nuclear weapon from anywhere in the former Soviet Union. During my time as minister, I carried out a comprehensive stock-taking of everything we had and had had, and traced the history of all the warheads ever produced. So, everything there was on the territories of the former USSR republics was returned to Russia.... Nothing was stolen from us. So, neither Bin Ladin, nor Iraq nor Iran could make use of these explosive devices."

---------------------------

In November 2002, Yuri Vishnevskiy, then head of Gosatomnadzorc, told a news conference that there have been documented instances of nuclear materials, including grams of weapons-grade uranium, disappearing from Russian nuclear materials processing facilities. At the time, Rumyantsev, then head of Rosatom, acknowledged the missing material but claimed that, "Everything that was lost was subsequently traced and returned to the relevant arsenals."

--------------------------------

There have been other press reports about materials seized in Russia about which we have no further information because Russia typically does not reveal the results of its investigations. Press reports generally overstate the impact of stolen material, often incorrectly referring to or implying that depleted, natural, or low-enriched uranium are weapons-usable material.

Z.

family-guy_evil-monkey_tie.orig.png

You edited your only reply that was worth the cyber space it occupied... pity. Multimedia presentations of pictures and songs do not impress me. Now let me go listen the that song you posted. Bad guitar skills and alcoholic's voice obstruct the genius of the lyrics. Stand by.

Edited by Zmey Smirnoff
Oh no!!! A typo! That instantly renders all my arguments unfounded.

Naw...all of your ASSumptions are what's rendering your argument unfounded. Like when you alluded to this being an example of some "trend".

Have you ever held a clearance?

Not going to tell you if I do (although those that know my background and profession probably do) but several others commenting here are spot on. Trust me that OPSEC is a very real concern here. Ya see, when you get the inbrief it's pretty clear that YOU don't get to decide what's releasable and what's not.....for WHATEVER reason. That ain't in the job description my friend. There ARE folks that make that determination. What IS in the job description is to follow the set procedures for reporting OPSEC/COMPUSEC/etc incidents and violations.

And no matter how much you feel you have a right to know all these details...you don't. You don't have a need to know. Mohamed has a need to know....that's HIS job descrption....get the picture? You'd be damned surprised to find out how much sensative and useful operational information is divulged simply from someone who knows better flapping their gums.

Oh, and in case you're wondering just because you see something in an open source piece of material DOES NOT mean you can open the floodgates and blab about it. One word...credibility.

Oh and trust me that the folks involved in this incident have or will be identifed and will be outprocessed, reassigned or retrained depending on what the investigation turns up.

Now Zmey, if you still feel the need to chew on this bone...knock yourself out. In my case that little freedom of speech deal kinda changed a little when I voluntarily had my head shaved and dressed like a tree. I might add that I have no problem protecting these freedoms for you and all of my other countrymen.

Edited by Fred Garvin

God forbid our bombers actually carried NUCs, sorry but being a former SAC brat I would listen to my Father talk about his Chrome dome airborne alerts in the 60s, so why the big deal.Anybody that is in the AF knows what PNAF is!. The issue of them being unaccounted for is worrriesome ,but the OPSEC issue and the publics need to know are BS. What ever happened to the phrase I can neither confirm or deny the presence of..............................

a mountain out of a mole-hill

my 2 cents

Scott :D

Naw...all of your ASSumptions are what's rendering your argument unfounded. Like when you alluded to this being an example of some "trend".

Have you ever held a clearance?

Not going to tell you if I do (although those that know my background and profession probably do) but

Dude, c'mon. We covered it already in the first couple of pages. You are saying the same stuff that a dozen of vets said before you. Go back and re-read. You are missing the point.

There have been other press reports about materials seized in Russia about which we have no further information because Russia typically does not reveal the results of its investigations. Press reports generally overstate the impact of stolen material, often incorrectly referring to or implying that depleted, natural, or low-enriched uranium are weapons-usable material.

Perhaps they need more whistleblowers, or civilian oversight. Pity that they've chosen to sweep all their security failures under the carpet, and failed to acknowledge them, or give complete access to the investigative process.

Clearly, if this is what IS being leaked out, imagine what must be happening behind events we do not know about. You can’t solve problems or address mistakes by covering them up behind ever-so-convenient umbrella of OPSEC. Sometimes it serves the greater good to disclose it.

Cesium and 6% uranium pellets. Suspect arrested. 1.5 kilograms of HEU. suspect arrested. Ridiculous fairy tale or no evidentiary value.

Regardless of the quantity of fissible material:

1. I beleive that the original incident is alarming.

2. I believe that military and civilain authorities must prevent it from repeating

3. Whiste-blowing is good

4. Cover up is bad (ie, Russia typically does not reveal the results of its investigations)

5. I dont need to have intimate knowledge of ins and outs of the procedural maze for protecting nuclear materials to say things outlined in points 1 thru 4.

Oh yes, and:

Press reports generally overstate the impact of stolen material.
Or, potentially, of materials that never left the control of authorized military personell trained in the handling and disposition of such materials, on a system designed to carry them.

I have to piont out a factual error in Zyemy's facts Suitcase NUCs are tactiacal weapons and are an never were accounted for in the START or SALT treaties ( S =Strategic)Most interesting that he has what looks like a mobile ICBM launching below his name ( Topal?) just a observation.

^ Actually, I agree with the above points. The arguments you present are sound and logical. Russia needs a lot of improvement in the area of nuclear material security. The progress in this area was very slow and plagued by corruption and lack of funding. I would, however, prefer if you used your own words and not plagiarize mine.

What I dont understand is why do you feel the urge to bring up Russia? The thread isnt about nuclear materials (depleted or enriched) its about a nuclear missile. Nor is it about Russia or any other country. Its about US. Sure its slightly related, but there is a limit on how much you can just divert the main focus of the thread. Focus, man.

I have to piont out a factual error in Zyemy's facts Suitcase NUCs are tactiacal weapons and are an never were accounted for in the START or SALT treaties ( S =Strategic)Most interesting that he has what looks like a mobile ICBM launching below his name ( Topal?) just a observation.

You are absolutely right. Regretful mistake on my part. SALT indeed dealt with only strategic weapons. However, it doesnt mean that there are dozens of "nuclear suitcases" on the loose.

Z.

P.S. " Zyemy's"? whoa, thats brutal. I want you to try and spell "Smirnoff" :thumbsup:

You are absolutely right. Regretful mistake on my part. SALT indeed dealt with only strategic weapons. However, it doesnt mean that there are dozens of "nuclear suitcases" on the loose.

Z.

P.S. " Zyemy's"? whoa, thats brutal. I want you to try and spell "Smirnoff" :D

QUOTE(Zmey Smirnoff @ Sep 6 2007, 08:25 PM)

Oh no!!! A typo! That instantly renders all my arguments unfounded.

wonder who said that, talk about words coming to get you.

Okay you and I and most of the population have NO need to know.

Yes this is a OPSEC issue and the leakers should be dealt with.

There are classified ways that this can and will be handeled without the media telling the world and our enemies.

Scott

LOL

" Zyemy's" is not a typo. Its murder. You made an arguement and I actually agreed with you. Now you are just flame baiting.

Sorry man ,you took offense were none was intended, not flame baiting.I'm done. :D

Enough said on this topic you and I wont change a thing.

Think we have better things to do( airplane stuff)

Scott

Sorry man ,you took offense were none was intended, not flame baiting.I'm done. :D

Enough said on this topic you and I wont change a thing.

Think we have better things to do( airplane stuff)

Scott

And to be honest with everyone, it's a whole new brand of entertaining to read this after sniffing squadron green for an hour :thumbsup: