113th Fighter Squadron's flightline goes cold...

Since 1921 the 113th FS of the Indiana ANG has been a flying unit,on September 8th,2007 the squadron will fly it's last mission.Saturday will be a sad day for me,no more roar of jet engines early in the morning,afternoon or late at night,hearing that noise has always given me a sense of security.Needless to say,my aircraft related picture posts are going to greatly reduced as well.

Racers,I salute you for a job well done :yahoo:

Here's a look over the years

JN-4restore.jpg

113thObservationSQD.jpg

P-51color.jpg

F-86Color2.jpg

F84flip.jpg

F-100D56-2979.jpg

Phantom675.jpg

good8.jpg

good5.jpg

030228-F-2751G-023.jpg

:thumbsup: sigh

I have had a LOT of good times out at your base, Dave, and met a bunch of truly fantastic people. You guys made me feel like one of your own. Good times.

I'll be there on Saturday and pay my respects.

BRAC. What a waste of skilled airmen and an accomplished fighter squadron.

Jake

Dave,

It's gonna suck A__ on Saturday! Nonetheless, hold your head up high with pride that you served your country and state...a small condolence I imagine. At least you were a part of the 113th when they flew the best stuff ever, the F-4 and F-16. BRAC really does suck juevos.........(again)

Jeff

I have fond memories of the 113th folks...from my first T-38 XC back in '84 when the Racers rolled out the red carpet for my family and friends so that they could watch us fly in/ fly out...to an impromptu RON in an F-4 in '87...to my final student XC as an IP in '91. Every time the 113th treated us (flight crew, family, friends) as if we were their own. What a class act!

v/r MDOG

:P sigh

I have had a LOT of good times out at your base, Dave, and met a bunch of truly fantastic people. You guys made me feel like one of your own. Good times.

I'll be there on Saturday and pay my respects.

BRAC. What a waste of skilled airmen and an accomplished fighter squadron.

Jake

Jake,you took care of us as much as we took care of you,I knew you were engrained into the wing/squadron when I had people ask "Hey,where's Jake?" or "When Jake going to be back?" a few years back,the pleasure is truely ours and you know you are ALWAYS welcome here at HUF.

Dave,

It's gonna suck A__ on Saturday! Nonetheless, hold your head up high with pride that you served your country and state...a small condolence I imagine. At least you were a part of the 113th when they flew the best stuff ever, the F-4 and F-16. BRAC really does suck juevos.........(again)

Jeff

At least the unit will remain,just in a non-flying mission,we actually gained manpower due to the new missions so I guess that is a plus!Our ramp will remain and our POL will remain as well so if you are flying cross-country in your Viper,Eagle,Hornet,Super Hornet,ect.,stop on in,the JP-8 is on us!

to my final student XC as an IP in '91

I probably recovered/launched you then,I think I parked every T-37,T-38,A-10 and A-7 that came thru between 1988 and 1992 when was working on orders/temp. tech. during that time frame.We always took care of anyone who stepped on base,just part of who we are :blink:

I will pass on everyone's replies to the wing commander and to 113th FS commander,I know they will enjoy seeing them!

Can I ask why they would shut down a sqn with so much history, is it the damn bean counters!

Julien

No earthly idea,the other Indiana unit didn't come to be until after WWII(they took on the colors of a WWII fighter squadron when they formed in 1946)so I figured he would have been spared,plus the fact the "other" unit isn't really a well liked one by other units in the USAF/ANG system.

If you lived around Lakenheath in 1976,you probably seen our F-100's buzzing around for a 2-3 week period,when they took off from here and returned stateside,they flew in WWII fighter formations over the base,I'll try and scan pics from the history book and post them friday night from that trip.After that trip,the unit started doing that after the end of summer camps until a couple of years ago.

Jeff,you should have said something,I could have given you a quick two-cent tour of the remaining jets and base,converse with the wing commander and bought ya a pepsi all in an hours time :cheers: The jets you saw taking off while you were tooling down I-70 is exactly half of our F-16 fleet now :coolio:

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Is this part of a general re-organisation of forces or is it specifially a ANG issue as I not sure who the management of the 2 go together?? I must admit I dont keep a close eye on US re-organisation like I used to. I know over here the RAF is no a shaow of its former self :coolio:

Julien

Is this part of a general re-organisation of forces or is it specifially a ANG issue as I not sure who the management of the 2 go together?? I must admit I dont keep a close eye on US re-organisation like I used to. I know over here the RAF is no a shaow of its former self :coolio:

Julien

It is military-wide, all services. BRAC is basically a bureaucratic way for politicians and bean counters to eliminate/consolidate assets to "operate more efficiently", maximize asset utilization and reduce overhead costs.

It is highly political and, IMO, a huge farce, but it is what it is and we do what we're told.

-Mike

We got nailed by the BRAC politics :coolio: We will be the 181st Intelligence Wing come the begining of the year(a Distributed Ground Station,the Distributed Ground Station will feature a high-tech unit to gather and analyze intelligence and provide battlefield commanders with information)and a Air Support Operations Squadron(the Air Support Operations Squadron will have people embedded with Army ground forces to coordinate aircraft support).At least the base stays intact and in the long run we will actually gain more jobs.

What a day. Even saying good-bye, the Racers sure know how to do things right. I'm off to Nellis for the week starting tomorrow, so I'll post my shots from today sometime next week. They put on a helluva show.

Jake

It is military-wide, all services. BRAC is basically a bureaucratic way for politicians and bean counters to eliminate/consolidate assets to "operate more efficiently", maximize asset utilization and reduce overhead costs.

It is highly political and, IMO, a huge farce, but it is what it is and we do what we're told.

-Mike

You said it brother.

Chappie

What a day. Even saying good-bye, the Racers sure know how to do things right. I'm off to Nellis for the week starting tomorrow, so I'll post my shots from today sometime next week. They put on a helluva show.

Jake

Yes it was,they did a nice mini-airshow for the event,of course you had a excellent spot to watch it all from!We got Jake at EOR and he had a clear point of view for the "airshow",we both missed a great shot when the AG's UH-60 buzzed flightline!

My pics came out so-so,so Jake will have the honors of posting the good pics from our last flight,out of 60 I took,I think only about 15 were ok :blink:

Lieuwe's artwork for posters for our Family Support Group were a hit :thumbsup:

100_2983.jpg

100_3014.jpg

100_3019.jpg

100_3031.jpg

100_3045.jpg

So, will any of their Vipers be there for next weekends airshow? I was hoping to catch my one and only glimpse of them before they are gone forever. But it sounds like this weekend was it.

David

We got Jake at EOR and he had a clear point of view for the "airshow",we both missed a great shot when the AG's UH-60 buzzed flightline!

The best part was having my three-year-old out at EOR with me. He sure won't forget that!

So, will any of their Vipers be there for next weekends airshow?

Nope.