What if Schemes

Hi Everyone. First post here.

Im currently working on a F-8E Crusader that has the colors of VF-84 Jolly Jogers. The scheme is similar to what the squadron flew with on the F-4B. (see link)

http://www.almansur.com/jollyrogers/vf84f4bearly.jpg

Ill be using a little artistic license and change the fuselage band from yellow to black.

For those who don't know, in 1960 VF-84 became known as the "Jolly Rogers" but the Crusaders were never repainted from the colors of the "Vagabonds".

You can read the whole story here: http://www.almansur.com/jollyrogers/vagabondshijacked.htm

Some other cool "what if" ideas i had:

Blue Angels F-14

Vietnam camo F-15A

Bell X-1 interceptor(think Goblin)

It's funny how some of us think alike. I have had two of the popular themes in my mind over the years. First with the Tomcats I will eventually do one from all three WWII schemes. I will probably do one in low viz for the Atlantic scheme and then two high viz which i prefer anyhow for the two others.

As for my second choice I have also wondered what a USMC demo squadron would look like. My choice would be a two tone paint scheme it would be white underneath with a tan color on top, painted much like the 1960-1980 paint schemes for the USMC/USN but like I said tan instead of white. The obvious choice for a logo would be the Marine Bulldog and I would trim it out in red, white, and blue for the stripes much like the outsides of the T-Birds aircraft. Only difference in mine is that rather than the Harrier I chose the Hornet.

I've got a couple of silly ones...... :D

A Avro CF-105 in USAF markings with SEA camo.

An F-111 in RAF markings (was supposed to happen after TSR.2 got cancelled) and in West German markings.

F-16 in Iranian markings (if Islamic revolution had happened about a year or more later this likely would have happened).

F-14/A-6/A-7/E-2C in Royal Navy colors (if the Royal Navy could have afforded a full scale super carrier).

F-14/A-6/A-7/E-2C in JMSDF colors (if JMSDF were allowed to have a carrier).

YF-23 in operational markings.

YB-35 and XB-49 in operational markings (YB-35 in USAAC markings, the XB-49 in SAC colors).

XB-70 in operational SAC markings.

F-15/F-16 in RAAF markings.

There are others, these are the ones that jump to mind right now. I'm going to do most of these eventually (at least that is the plan.... :rofl: )

I'm kinda partial to the Japanese F-2B as a USAF F-16G. I will do that build at some point. Also like Rich's A-10 in Army CARC green. Almost did that at one point with a 32nd A-10 N/AW, but decided that I'd rather do it in 48th. Now to get the HobbyBoss kit!

I'm also thinking AH-64s in anything BUT CARC GREEN!

I'm also thinking AH-64s in anything BUT CARC GREEN!
AH-64 is SEA ala HH-53 Jolly Green Giant!

Or what about an AH-64 in USMC with the green/grey/black that the AH-1W's carried! Link to picture

I saw an artist concept in one of my books somewhere that showed what a navalised Apache might look like, it would be an intriguing kit-bash what if.

Ah, the possiblities are endless.

or maybe this one ...

F-2DSEAbomberJM-117sWif2.jpg

regards,

Gary F

An F-22 would look good in this scheme..... :coolio:

What about an F-111A in Israeli marking with this camo? :woot.gif: Swooping in low over the Sinai during the 1973 Yom Kippur War war busting up an airfield being intercepted by an Egyptian MiG-25 intereceptor.

Edited by JasonW

I have a What If build list as long as my arm at the moment:

RAAF F-15D (In work)

RAAF F-16

RAAF ( or RAN ) MH-53E (In work)

RAAF B-1B

RAAF and RNZAF A-10

Aus Army V-22

Aus Army AH-1

Aus Army Apache

RAAF Mirage IV

F-108 in USAF 56FIS Markings

Finnish AF C-130

RAAF or RNZAF KC-135

USN EH-101

RAN EH-101

RAN F-18....

Here is one I did a couple of years ago.

RAN F-4S in an anniversary retirement scheme

724SQNF4S1.jpg

Edited by Aussie747

I really like Ed's 1970s (West) German Eurofighter. Also had that idea when the Revell 72nd kit came out. How about a Marineflieger one with Kormorans and blue topside and white belly, with tanks with the Starfighter day-glo stripe...

Also like Gary's camoed F-2s with spines. Really cool!

Jan's Mirage 2000C in the SAAF camo with Israeli/Czech markings is also a looker.

I've been meaning to do some what if F-14s in airforce service (sorry if that's blasphemy). Perhaps a F-14 serving in Vietnam with SEA camouflage, loaded to the teeth with bombs. Maybe call it a StrikeCat, don't know how a back story to that would work though. My other idea is for a wild weasel tomcat, maybe an F-14G WeaselCat, done in a similar scheme to the F-16. I'd load it with a couple of HARMs, aim-120's and some aim-9x's.

Now to find the time.

Chris

Here is a scan of a mock-up of the proposed USAF Intrerceptor variant of the F-14 ...

USAFTomcat002.jpg

Note the larger Phoenix Pallets for more internal fuel and the external tanks hanging off the wing glove pylons ...

Gregg

USAF

A-10E_AFSOC_Sandy.jpg

US Forestry Service

A-10F_USFS_02.jpg

(Would have required removal of the gun and installation of a large conformal belly tank)

Germany

A-10G_Germany_1976.jpg

1978-1983

A-10G_Germany_1983.jpg

1983-1990

A-10G_Germany_1990s.jpg

1990-today

South Korea

A-10K_ROKAF.jpg

Saudi Arabia

A-10S_RSAF.jpg

Dubai

A-10_DubaiAirForce.jpg

Jordan

A-10_JordanianAirForce.jpg

Edited by Trigger
One of my current (stalled) builds, is a TSR.2 done as an EF-112A, like the Sparkvark.

:coolio: great minds think alike, sometimes :wacko:

i am doing exactly the same at the mo' and will probably use the 'babyjam' markings from modeldecal #91.

however as a twist my EF-111A has a recce pallet [from the ultra old italeri RF-18 kit] under the cockpit and

the radome from the same kit.

this maybe ready for the coventry show [at the midland air museum] this sunday and certainly for SMW in

november.

trevor

The forum crapped out this morning while I was trying to upload the rest of these A-10s, hence the delay...

RAF Thunderbolt GR.1

Thunderbolt_GR1_1970-80s.jpg

Late 1970s/Early 1980s

Thunderbolt_GR1_1980sA.jpg

Mid-Late 1980s

Thunderbolt_GR1_1990s.jpg

Early 1990s-Today

Thunderbolt_GR1_1991.jpg

1991 Operation Granby

Thunderbolt_GR1_Snow01.jpg

Temp Snow Camouflage #1

Thunderbolt_GR1_Snow02.jpg