What if Schemes

I'd really like to give that shiny scheme a try on one of my -22s, maybe the vanilla troop taxi I've still got to make. I'm not crazy enough to put digi on something as big as a Spectre, though (well, not yet anyway).

i saw a pic of a fresh new C-130J and it looked like it had about 4 tones of gray. 4 tones of metallics would really be something! I saw the V-22 in Iraq program and it was in standard greys, so is that silver scheme experimental, new, or what?

That metallic scheme on the V-22 is being evaluated on several Ospreys. It's also shown up on one AH-1W and rumor has it, an AV-8B.

Trigger, I'm curious about that scheme...I can't imagine it would camouflage the bird very well in a combat environment. It seems to me that it would stand out even over water, and be like a beacon in a desert or in an area with lots of plant matter. Am I missing something?

I hope I'm wrong...it's very, very slick-looking!

Trigger, I'm curious about that scheme...I can't imagine it would camouflage the bird very well in a combat environment. It seems to me that it would stand out even over water, and be like a beacon in a desert or in an area with lots of plant matter. Am I missing something?

I've seen pix of it over the water and it worked surprisingly well. However, it's not supposed to camouflage an aircraft against the surface. Look at the schemes on the AH-1W, CH-53E, CH-46E, F/A-18 and AV-8B. They're all gray. The biggest threat comes not from enemy fighters overhead looking down, but from ground fire looking up.

And the finish has properties somewhere in the EM spectrum that they're not talking about. At a certain distance, whatever color your aircraft is, it'll appear as a black shape. Inside that distance, the best camouflage can do is confuse, mislead and obfuscate the object in question to the viewer.

I've seen pix of it over the water and it worked surprisingly well. However, it's not supposed to camouflage an aircraft against the surface. Look at the schemes on the AH-1W, CH-53E, CH-46E, F/A-18 and AV-8B. They're all gray. The biggest threat comes not from enemy fighters overhead looking down, but from ground fire looking up.

And the finish has properties somewhere in the EM spectrum that they're not talking about. At a certain distance, whatever color your aircraft is, it'll appear as a black shape. Inside that distance, the best camouflage can do is confuse, mislead and obfuscate the object in question to the viewer.

Appreciate the reply!

Yeah, this one will get me to the lower levels of Hades for sure

TBf-14.jpg

No, that one won't. I've already built a WhIf Tomcat that guarantees me a front row seat in hell. All I need to do is photograph it and write the article for the homepage. Trust me, the Tomcat Mafia will put out a bounty on me when I'm done.

Edited by Trigger
No, that one won't. I've already built a WhIf Tomcat that guarantees me a front row seat in hell. All I need to do is photograph it and write the article for the homepage. Trust me, the Tomcat Mafia will put out a bounty on me when I'm done.

:popcorn:

Very interesting Moritz...I thought he'd think more highly of the Starfighter...

Jens

If I recall correctly, Hartmann didn't have a problem with the F-104 itself, but felt that West germany had not trained her pilots well enough to handle a plane with its flight characteristics. He wasn't concerned the plane couldn't fight, he was concerned it would be a widowmaker long before it saw combat.

Now, THAT is a claim that I can't wait to see! Don't worry too much, Trigger, I ( and my trusty sock o'quarters) have your back.

What did you do, paint a 'cat up in orange as a target drone?

Now, THAT is a claim that I can't wait to see! Don't worry too much, Trigger, I ( and my trusty sock o'quarters) have your back.

What did you do, paint a 'cat up in orange as a target drone?

:coolio: Let's just say I'm going to exercise my right to remain silent...

Edit: "...for now."

Edited by Trigger

Those are some really nice Tomcat profiles jburch! Though I'm pretty sure that I'll end up in hell too for my Whiff cats. Here's a "G" model I did a while ago

IMGP3317.jpg

And a "C" model I'm working on now. I don't know what will get me into more trouble, the fact I made it into a single seater, or the fact that will be loaded almost entirely with bombs.

DSCN3908.jpg

DSCN3926.jpg

Chris

Thanks Gregg. I still have to repaint the canopy and add all of the tiny pieces...if I can see them. There is one sprue missing that has the canopy frame support on it so I'll just have to fake it.

Harry Hardy gave us a presentation on his war time experiences and it was very interesting...and he loved the 1:48 scale Pulverizer IV...and signed the bottom of the wing.

Barney