Need help: bare wood panel decals needed

I'm looking for some realistic looking decals that show unpainted wood grain. I just got two packs of (1/48 and 1/72) Propagteam stuff but it won't do.

Can anyone direct me to a more realistic end product? I really can't consider using real wood laminate but need to use decals for my project.

Thanks in advance.

Hello

You could always try painting it, you paint a sand colour say humbrol 94 and then go over it with an oil paint such as burnt sienna, when you have done this you drag the brush in the same direction accross or along it and your grain effect will show through, I did it on a few of my WWI planes and did a Gladiator prop too to make it a bit different. I find it works quite well and you can vary the shadesby experimenting with different shades of sand and or oils.

The only drawback I find with this is it takes a week to dry. Once dry you can go over with Humbrol Glosscote which then gives a good sheen, future won't take over the oil I find. I posted some gladiator pics in a collection on Britmodeller.

Also just thought you can also do the same with the sand and then use an acrylic say Tamiya red brown which gives a good effect too.

Hope this helps

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge

I believe 'Tauro', Sir, an Italian company, makes a decent product on this line, that can be gotten from Squadron.

You can get good results with several painting methods. I use a technique of undercoating with pale buffs, and overcoating with brown, yellow and tan washable markers, picking up the ink from aluminum foil with clear acrylic, and brushing it over the undercoat, then going over it with satin or matte clear coat. It is pretty quick. You can vary both the undercoat and over-coat in color from panel to panel. In 1/72, fine grain really does not show, only the larger patterns of variance.

What is it you are working on? An Albatross fuselage?

I think Mike Grant has his own personal stock, too. If I recall (and it was some time ago, I could be wrong) he used some on his B-17 interior during the Heavies Group Build.

Might ask him if he can spare a sheet, in exchange for a few $$.